replied
triplane is offline Find More Posts by triplane
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:13 AM
Joined Jan 2013
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplane View Post
white boat shown in the picture above is Frank Russell's Goth, with a hard chine hull. pictures in this post is my cloned BritPoP, scratch built last year, and am currently working on one of my own design with four hard chines!
Dear Mr Chung,

We have been alerted to your recent post by one of our many friends in the Radio Yachting business of your version of our race winning IOM design BritPOP. I would ask that you contact me immediately with regards to your intentions towards this unethical practice to determine what action will be taken.
We have 3 only International licenced builders currently manufacturing our BritPOP and I will do everything within my power to protect the investment they have made both with my business and the product itself.

Regards
Brad Gibson
BG Sails & Design
email: bgrcyachting 'at' hotmail.com
Brad Gibson is offline Find More Posts by Brad Gibson
Last edited by Brad Gibson; Jan 23, 2013 at 05:18 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:48 AM
Shanghai, China
Joined Mar 2010
220 Posts
Dear BG
while you are one of my mostly regarded skipper in the IOM world, I can not confess there is any sin and intended copy of your design by any means. A boat looks alike BritPoP doesn't mean it IS a BritPoP. As far as I know, the only purchases of your design in China are still in the queue of waiting and there is no existing examples of any BritPoP here! Since you have never published any shadows of your design, how can I copy your boat by judging from pictures? I called it cloned BritPoP only because I regard your design a beautiful creation and am very much impressed by its performance, but that's where the similarity ends. I have my own design of shadows, different mast/keel position and different rocker shape. Even the bow on my design are completely different from yours, which is much thinner and without any flare. further more, I am only a local club skipper to build this boat for experiments, thus only one was scratch built, I have not even think about sell that boat for money.
Please let me know is this could be a "unethical" violation of your copy right? There are shadows, Cheinzs, V8s, TBAs and many many more other designs all have similar layout, are they all a copy of BritPoP?
Am really upset to read your post and will totally not agree with your words of "unethical practice" on me.
Sorry but I would probably not wirte the email requested to you but rather let the fact speak for me.

Best regards
Patrick the "triplane" Chung
Shanghai ,China
Last edited by triplane; Jan 23, 2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:24 AM
Shanghai, China
Joined Mar 2010
220 Posts
am not afraid to post pictures of my boat's shadows and the process of my building, BUT, if I have to do this, I have only one request for Mr. Gibson, that you have to apologize for your aforesaid words.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:42 AM
Joined Jan 2013
14 Posts
Mr Chung,
The term 'clone' by definition:
a person or thing that duplicates, imitates, or closely resembles another in appearance, function, performance, or style.
In your own words your boat has differences to my BritPOP design. By this admission your boat is not a BritPOP clone and I would strongly advise against naming it as such. This is unethical to do so and in no way do I endorse your product.
You go on to mention these differences in layout and design to my own design. It is very possible to create a near exact copy of another design with intricate software and a devious nature from photographs. To know of any differences you have obviously been looking closely. We have already come across a version of our BritPOP built in this way in Italy.
You mention a list of other boats that have been heavily inspired by the BritPOP's success. One notable difference though is that none have tried to pass themselves off as one as boldly as yourself.
I will also disclaim that Craig Smith has offered royalties for the 4 TBA's built to date.

Brad
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:52 AM
Shanghai, China
Joined Mar 2010
220 Posts
my boat has its own name. it is called Xeon. If you think the word clone has ruined your design's dignity, not after the respection of your creation, I can certainly use other terms that make you feel more comfortable. I have seen Italians version of Italian "PoP", and also seen their version of RMGish sail winch, but you might have oversaw one point, which is important: My boat is for myself, not a product. you said I have boldly passed my work in the post here, that's happen to explain why am not afraid to be told by one of your friends that am copying your or anyone else's design.

Patrick
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:09 AM
Joined Apr 2012
87 Posts
Patrick, simply don't describe it as a BritPop clone and save yourself from any trouble.

Calling it a clone of a commercially available product on a open public forum is not a clever thing to do regardless of how similar or different it might be and what commercial interest you might have with it!
GER 87 is offline Find More Posts by GER 87
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:10 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Wow

Straying into Legalistic Jargo..

Is it copyright, Patents, Trademark, or maybe Intellectual Property..

Which Law Firm should we contact to find out...

Clearly from the Photos the Red Boat differs significantly from the Bripop design, albeit many of the Latest Chine Designs are quite similar & whichever came first..

Plug in a few parameters in Computers & it's not insummountable to conclude the same outputs are possible...

So without a Trademark & release of the numbers for all to know "WHAT TO AVOID" then it is somewhat impossible & naive to claim a right to something that can be stumbled upon.

Have to say the use of the word Clone and/or Copy was perhaps a little incorrect but given the vast language differences & barriers it is not beyond reasonable to indentify the candor & informality in the initial post.

Call it anything you like, just not something that has already been used...

Pity really...
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:21 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Brad

FYI

HIGH COURT DECISIONS on Boat BUilding & DESIGN..

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/...t-form/3246142

Full Transcript of Case is available from Australian High Court website...

Now back to Pictures of Nice Sailboats...
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:48 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,514 Posts
Gents,
Waboats is right - this thread is dedicated to sharing photos and videos of RC yachts and once in a while other great sailing photos. No harm in a little discussion for sure, just like to stay on course.
Thanks guys
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:28 PM
Joined Jan 2013
14 Posts
Apologies all for not staying on thread. Back to enjoying pictures.
My email is always open for anything off topic

Regards
Brad
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:14 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,514 Posts
Brad
No problem! Some of the rabbit trail topics make good stand alone threads. PMs and e-mails are a great ways to continue on those kinds of things. Good you pointed that out.
Thanks
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:19 AM
United States, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Apr 2006
1,001 Posts
Hey guys, we are still finishing up the flyer for the event, but the Admirals are doing a pure wind-powered Sailing Fun Run on May 11th in Avon, Indiana which is just west of Indianapolis about 10 miles. A beautiful lake to sail on and always a good turn out. Its in conjuction with the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life. So, walkers will be going around the lake, while we sail on the lake. Perfect!

More to come.

www.IndyAdmirals.org
www.facebook.com/indyadmirals
HelloScott is offline Find More Posts by HelloScott
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:48 PM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Apr 2012
614 Posts
A gaggle of Santa Barbaras at Spreckels Lake, GG Park

Here are a gaggle of Santa Barbara's putting their rail down during the AMYA Region 6 Nationals in July, 2012.
wyldrydes2 is offline Find More Posts by wyldrydes2
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:19 AM
China, Hubei, Wuhan
Joined May 2011
11 Posts
hubei danjiangkou china 2013.1.26 :D:D:D:D
Sailboats
Micro Magic

daimonevil is offline Find More Posts by daimonevil