HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:27 AM
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
929 Posts
bgnome
I would imagine(but I haven't any practical experience with these rigs)
when you consider the advantages of splitting the rig like that, having two
smaller mains to control,shorter masts,etc. it makes sense.
there is an old timey phrase used for these boats, when the wind was up, the
outer jib would come down, the main furled and they would sail with the club
jib and the mizzen up- it was called "running jig and jigger". it balanced the hull
fore and aft ,and you didn't have any heel from the main. I can see that working
in a harbor, your going slower but have helm pressure and ability to tack with
the jib...

for laughs, i googled and found an old pic of "Kialoa" -this bad boy used to
MOVE - shown here off the wind and using her sailplan to great advantage-
notice the mizzen is "scandalized" - they want all the wind to get in that mizzen
spinnaker.
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2012, 06:41 AM
cni
Joined Nov 2008
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsail View Post
bgnome
the triangular sail set above the main gaff is called a "topsail"
I do not believe there is anything called a "yawl sail"
a yawl rig is a two masted sloop, by definition when the mizzen mast is aft of the
rudder post it's a yawl.if the mizzen is fore of the rudder post it's a ketch rig.
yawl or ketch, they set a triangular "mainsail" and that spar can be used to
also hoist a staysail or even a mizzen spinnaker.
I don't think a topsail will help in maneuvering at all, since a sloop rig ought to
tack efficiently through the wind without it. Racing or cruising a topsail will give
you speed ,especially in lighter winds.
Hello and... Sorry for the rigth name of the sail : i'm french and in french this sail is calling "flèche" or "grand flèche". It's difficult to learn the name of any part of a yacht in french, but in other language is ... !!!!

In fact, on a Youpi, the "top sail" is ok from 0 to 3 bft, when the wind is up, we down this sail. The effect on the boat : the center of sail plan back a little, but i can cruise... Some pictures for illustration :

When the wind is slow :

Whe the wind is "strong" :
cni is offline Find More Posts by cni
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:03 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
Well, I tell ya cni, those are some dang fine looking, elegant little boats

simply wonderful! and its pictures like this that always seems to get my mind to wander away from the sail clubs usual racing boats. But it's that typy of elegance on the water that always gets my attention.

great job!

and dont worry about your english, its very good. and if you had typed in the name of the sail as you would call it, a quick search on google would most likely eliminate any confusion.
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:07 PM
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,508 Posts
Six boats for racing today in our Growing EC-12 Fleet at Redds Pond in Marblehead, M.A.
breakwater is offline Find More Posts by breakwater
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:34 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnome View Post
I was hanging out today, July 4th, with some of the guys from the RMYC, sailing seawinds.

thanks again folks for letting me play with your toys while I'm still getting something ready to get wet.

the video is interesting.. youtube now has a feature that will take out the shakes from your video.. the results seemed a bit.... dreamy

http://youtu.be/ZdnmuwMM7z0
bgnome
Really a beautiful setting for sailing! Can you tells us the location and name of the lake? I suspect it is some where near Richmond. Virginia has some beautiful country for sure!

I am sure many of us would like to know where some of these beautiful lakes and ponds are located - I for one would appreciate it if those posting photos would provide the locations of where those photos were taken. Thanks for your consideration.

Thank you
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Jul 29, 2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 04:08 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
Boomer, the Pond the group sails at primarly, and where that vid was taken is called Lake Rooty.

It's a man made feature in the in the middle of the Innsbrook Office park in the Short Pump area of Richmond.VA.

this should give an aerial view of lake rooty. the hump on the shore is where we sail from.

other times we might sail from Fountain lake in Byrd park in the city it self. but you have to deal with the Paddle boaters during the on season.
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Jul 29, 2012, 05:01 PM
gravity tester
LaPine,OR Quarztsite AZ
Joined Nov 2008
708 Posts
...looks like a beautiful lake and a lot of fun!
MRFASTPHIL is offline Find More Posts by MRFASTPHIL
Old Jul 29, 2012, 05:25 PM
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,508 Posts
Here's a nice stack of over 75 Photos from our growing EC-12 Fleet in Marblehead:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7967875...7630811025278/
breakwater is offline Find More Posts by breakwater
Last edited by breakwater; Jul 29, 2012 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Oops! Bad link.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:44 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,298 Posts
Three RG-65s on the water, Hansen Dam. Los Angeles
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Aug 04, 2012, 09:24 PM
Canada, BC, Lake Cowichan
Joined Jul 2011
526 Posts
Video from the 2012 UK Vane A National Championships sailed at Gosport on the south coast of England.

MODEL YACHTS - VANE A NATIONALS 2012 - GIL EVANS - CONCORDE (7 min 36 sec)

and nice music too!

John
hiljoball is offline Find More Posts by hiljoball
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:51 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiljoball View Post
Video from the 2012 UK Vane A National Championships sailed at Gosport on the south coast of England.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIq3bK2Oz0I&feature=plcp

and nice music too!

John
Very interesting! I am not familiar with these boats. I see no marks or buoys on the race course. It appears to be more of a "drag race" than a traditional sailboat race. How fast do these boats go? They looked to be moving at a very good pace in the video.

The other thing is why do they have to have a team member fend off their boats to prevent them from running into the shoreline? Are these boats unable to maneuver well enough to avoid crashing into the shoreline?
If that is the case that would explain why I see no turn buoys. Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks for sharing your video.
Boomer
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:07 AM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Very interesting! I am not familiar with these boats. I see no marks or buoys on the race course. It appears to be more of a "drag race" than a traditional sailboat race. How fast do these boats go? They looked to be moving at a very good pace in the video.

The other thing is why do they have to have a team member fend off their boats to prevent them from running into the shoreline? Are these boats unable to maneuver well enough to avoid crashing into the shoreline?
If that is the case that would explain why I see no turn buoys. Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks for sharing your video.
Boomer
Boomer I think these may be free sailing boats. No rc !
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Aug 05, 2012, 12:06 PM
Canada, BC, Lake Cowichan
Joined Jul 2011
526 Posts
Exactly as Boomer said - no RC. These are vane self steering boats - the way model boat racing used to be. They race a beat - tacking up the pond by being turned manually with the pole at each bank. The run is usually a straight line down the pond.

More video (several classes both vane and RC)

http://www.malcolmdonald.com/modelyachtmovies.html

John
hiljoball is offline Find More Posts by hiljoball
Old Aug 05, 2012, 04:30 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,537 Posts
Thanks guys! Rather an interesting approach to sailing for sure. It would appear that these folks get some great exersise at the same time they are sailing, something our radios help us avoid!

I bet there have been some damaged boats on occasion, say when the chase team member falls or is not fast enough

Think I'll stick with the radio controlled models for now!

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Aug 06, 2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:57 PM
United States, NY, Queensbury
Joined Aug 2012
34 Posts
This thread convinced me to join you guys! Here are a pair of half size Stars that I built as free-sailers. Having never done anything like this before, I wanted to practice a little before moving on to a full scale Star 45.
PirateTwisty is offline Find More Posts by PirateTwisty