HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 02, 2011, 11:30 PM
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
878 Posts
weird , I just saw that vid last night ,Guz

note:i've tried twice to post the vid, can't get it.

on you tube it's
"radio control yacht racing in arizona"

Allan
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail
Last edited by thorsail; May 02, 2011 at 11:45 PM. Reason: added vid
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2011, 05:49 AM
State College, Valley Forge PA, LBI NJ
Joined Jun 2008
807 Posts
i was shooting through the opening in the case with a piece of cling wrap stretched over the opening and tape to keep it in place
bboarder711 is offline Find More Posts by bboarder711
Old May 03, 2011, 09:09 AM
Tow Dog.
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guz View Post
Not to deep. I sank my 36/600 there the other day (hatch came off and being overpowered by the wind just swamped it). Luckily it just 4-5 feet from shore, it was only waist deep.

Darn straight SKIPPY!!!

I'm actually thinking about building another woody. Now that I have this one under my belt, the next should be a walk in the park, if I build one.
Beautiful boat, Guz.

Someday, maybe someday...........

Randy
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Old May 03, 2011, 10:44 AM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsail View Post
weird , I just saw that vid last night ,Guz

note:i've tried twice to post the vid, can't get it.

on you tube it's
"radio control yacht racing in arizona"

Allan
Wow, I forgot about that interview. Here's the vid.

Remote Control Yacht Racing in Arizona (11 min 31 sec)

Man, they even got me T-boning another boat before the start. I felt so bad after that. It was such a small area behind the start/finish line. Everyone all day was rubbing before the start.

You can get the scores and pics at Mesa Model Yacht Club and click on the click on the "Results". We initially thought I had third, but when ran the numbers through a spreadsheet, with the dropped scores, I moved up to second.
Guz is offline Find More Posts by Guz
Last edited by Guz; May 03, 2011 at 11:06 AM. Reason: more info
Old May 03, 2011, 03:56 PM
Joined Apr 2011
8 Posts
hello Dick, beautiful picture Red Bull RG65. did you build the boat yourself?
Alinghi SUI100 is offline Find More Posts by Alinghi SUI100
Old May 03, 2011, 04:08 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,017 Posts
The RED BULL boat is not mine. Sorry.

I have collected many RG65 boat photos during the time we were promoting the class growth here in the U.S. and many photos are taken from regatta photos in South America where the class got it's start. I am still building my own - but there are photos around of the last one built for my son-in-law. The boat called "DIRTY DEEDS" hit the water late last fall, and we are still waiting for warm sailing weather as some of our northern lakes still have ice on them. It is on page four (of this thread) with the black sails in same group as the RED BULL boat and the other RG65's.

I do wish the RED BULL boat was mine, but alas - it isn't.

Dick
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Last edited by Dick L.; May 03, 2011 at 04:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old May 04, 2011, 10:20 AM
Joined Apr 2011
8 Posts
I know that Red Bull dosn't like the personal usage of her logos! => Trademark protection!

The lawyers in Europe are still everywhere and they are looking if somebody uses her logo (Red Bull) without permission.
I inquired the companies whether I may use their logos. so there are no surprises!
Alinghi SUI100 is offline Find More Posts by Alinghi SUI100
Old May 04, 2011, 11:21 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,426 Posts
Beautiful day on the water "Wing on Wing"

I like to collect photos that in some way capture the essense of RC Sailing. I think this one does that. The boat pictured is a Nirvana ll 32" Sloop.

I am told that the Nirvana was designed and engineered by Jon Elmaleh in 2003 and produced by Megatech International Inc. I am told that there have been more than 8000 Nirvana's sold around the world.

The Nirvana is a One-Design class model sailboat whose specifications are regulated by the builder to insure uniform performance and quality control worldwide.

One of the largest single racing fleets of Nirvana's is located right here in Southern California at the Alamitos Bay Yacht Club, with nearly 100 Nirvana ll. They have races each Friday afternoon. This is very encouraging information and shows that the hobby/sport is alive and well in Southern California.

If you'd like to learn more about the Nirvana racing at the ABYC you can contact Dan DeLave at: ddelave@aol.com

To learn more about these boats, check out the Nirvana thread on this form at: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=794969

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; May 04, 2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old May 04, 2011, 09:14 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alinghi SUI100 View Post
I know that Red Bull dosn't like the personal usage of her logos! => Trademark protection!

The lawyers in Europe are still everywhere and they are looking if somebody uses her logo (Red Bull) without permission.
I inquired the companies whether I may use their logos. so there are no surprises!
"Usually" - if it is for personal use and you can prove you are not making money off of it, there is little to encourage them to seek legal decisions. On the other hand, if you are selling anything and it is branded with a trademarked logo, you may want to get that letter of use approval. Finally, you can always "sell yourself" and suggest you are advertising for them - perhaps a case or two of the beverage will come your way.

I've had paid sponsorship of my big catamaran (18 sq. meter) by both Fujitsu Business Communications, and also by Michelob Beer. You can probably guess some of the items Michelob provided. Usually shared with the fleet after regatta - comes in a big silver barrel - liquid adult beverage - [smile] Also had Charlie Chaplin leaning against the mast (old IBM sales pitch) but discussions led to his removal by my decision - not a legal thing.
Old May 05, 2011, 01:31 AM
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2008
987 Posts
Nice cat! Bet it flies, too. What class is it? Website? Extra kegs?
1967250s is offline Find More Posts by 1967250s
Old May 05, 2011, 08:33 AM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,017 Posts
18 Sq. Meter Class - started mid 1970's lasted until mid 1990's. The class was pure development and 18 feet long, 164 sq. feet of sail area on a 31 foot mast. Singlehanded and beam varied between 10 feet and 12 feet. Two categories - CAT 1. no weight restrictions, and usually carbon or 1/8" ply. CAT 2 was a minimum weight of 325 lb. These usually were production or glass boats. Regardless of weight if mast circumference was greater than 21 inches - it became a CAT 1. This one happened to be a NACRA production boat. At the time it was called the 5.5 - but that description has since been used by their narrow cat, and it moved into the Formula 18 class for a brief time until the class became interntational. No website as most of us tinkerer/builders have moved on - many to the A Class which at 7-8 foot wide can be trailered. The 18 Square required a "beach build" before regattas - unless it was trailered on a tilt trailer ( a lot of Texan owners did that). Speed wise, at the time the handicap put it on par with the Supercat 20 - and just a tick slower than a Tornado.

What was interesting is the class became a test bed on a smaller scale for future C Class catamarans and lots of development went on into the cats of today. Kind of like the IACC (Americas Cup) boats development that moves int o production monohull boats.

Yes - Michelob usually provided 3-4 kegs per regatta for the big events - one for the local races. Many often wondered if I was entered/racing .... I think they were just wondering if there was going to be free beer. Some of the used 18 Squares today can be found in reasonable condition for a price between $1,500 and $5,000 depending on condition and optional/extra equipment. Not bad considering the new NACRA 20 Carbon is running about $28,000 without trailer ! I admit there is more development and performance in todays boats - but price deters new, young sialors from entry. Back in early 1980,s cat prices ran about $100/foot. Soon they were up to $1,000/foot and we are approaching $1,500/foot now.
Old May 05, 2011, 10:25 AM
Minneapolis Mn
Joined Jan 2003
897 Posts
End of a great day of sailing -
Note to Boomer - it's a small leaf on the hull
jimklein is offline Find More Posts by jimklein
Old May 05, 2011, 10:47 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimklein View Post
End of a great day of sailing -
Note to Boomer - it's a small leaf on the hull
Jim
This is one of those pictures I like to save, as they tell a story. Suggest you re-post this one over at the Nirvana thread. I am sure the guys would enjoy seeing it.

The boat looks great. I like the wet look! Guess you'll have to come up with a two boat rack to accomodate the soon to be, new arrival.

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old May 11, 2011, 03:28 PM
Norman2
Connestee Falls, Brevard, North Carolina
Joined Mar 2006
385 Posts
AC100 ready for lake

Hi Here is my AC100 ready for the lake but unfortunately no wind. Regards
Norman2
Norman2 is offline Find More Posts by Norman2
Old May 12, 2011, 08:34 PM
Joined Dec 2007
439 Posts
Just maiden my ETNZ today even tho we just got 1-1/2 feet of new snow yesterday.

RC-Archer is offline Find More Posts by RC-Archer