SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 08, 2012, 06:26 PM
Wats the worst that can happen
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
Writing should face forward, toward the front of the plane. How many amps is your ESC? A 10x6 on the 35-36a can draw a lot of amps.
thanks. luckily thats the way I have it.
its a HK 50a esc, same one listed on the fpv epp page.
i'll stick it on the watt meter soon.
i'll be mounting the esc outside based on comments i've read of overheating.

everyone used regular wood screws to mount the motor, or used machine screwd with nuts?
TheCure is offline Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Mods to My RC Electronics
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2012, 07:33 PM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juice555 View Post

everyone used regular wood screws to mount the motor, or used machine screwd with nuts?
I used wood screws with some loctite. dozens and dozens of flights, two major crashes and that motor has never come loose.

Brown Pants Moments - Flown With DragonLink (1 min 58 sec)
Tracks is offline Find More Posts by Tracks
Old Mar 09, 2012, 07:27 AM
Joined Mar 2010
525 Posts
how do you do the T-tail mod?
fpvguy is offline Find More Posts by fpvguy
Old Mar 09, 2012, 01:03 PM
Mexico, JAL, Guadalajara
Joined Nov 2010
106 Posts
having fun with epp fpv

Hi group here is a vid. of my epp fpv with go pro.
nothing to spectacular but funny..
epp fpv (5 min 43 sec)
jfcomg is offline Find More Posts by jfcomg
Old Mar 09, 2012, 04:26 PM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfcomg View Post
Hi group here is a vid. of my epp fpv with go pro.
nothing to spectacular but funny..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOGn0iTwEug
I don't understand what the funny part was?

Nice big fields you have to fly in though.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 01:45 AM
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvguy View Post
how do you do the T-tail mod?
If you look a few pages back you will see a few pics and a brief description of the mod I did. There is no single way to do it, but I wouldn't attempt it if it's your first ever plane.

I maidened the t-tail EPP-FPV today and she flew very well. I got about 20 mins motor run time mostly at about 70% throttle, came down at 3.6v per cell. Pretty safe barrier for me, I won't go below that. Run time is half that when I bench tested it at full throttle. I'm running 3s 4400, 9x4.3 e-prop, not sure of the motors KV, had it left over. Could do better but it's enuff for now.

I might bring the CG forward 10mm from 100mm just to get the ass up more.

I forgot to mention that I also have some diherdal on the wings so I have almost have zero aileron travel and put them to use mostly as flaps. Let go of the sticks and she self rights...handy for fpv imo.

AUW is between 1.8 and 1.95kg depending on equipement on board.

For those asking why you would need a t-tail, try belly landing your bird in grass taller than 5 inches. Sooner or later that tail will catch on something..been there, done that. Not to mention that on the ground the stock tail supports all the weight of the plane without landing gear, a t-tail is never under any stress as the wing tips touch the ground before the tail tips do.

And with all the mods I did, I had to shim the leading edge my wing. If you do mod the tail, it's a different plane from the stock bird and needs re-trimming.

Cheers.
wingsnapa is offline Find More Posts by wingsnapa
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:05 PM
Graham Dyer
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Jul 2003
700 Posts
Probably no longer technically a HK EPP FPV plane but at least the wing is original (although it now has some dihedral which has absolutely transformed the flying characteristics of the plane and which is something I think is vital on this type).

Flight time is 22 minutes with a Turnigy 3S 3000mAh battery. Motor is a HK3536 1000kv turning a APC 11x7 at about 250W WOT. Has Ardupilot in it for return-to-launch and stabilization. A BOB Fox 700 system operating on 1040MHz with a Remzibi OSD supplies video, watched through goggles . Furtherest distance from home has been 2.65km with a tuned vee antenna and stock dipole on Rx.

pardus is offline Find More Posts by pardus
Old Mar 10, 2012, 01:35 PM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,986 Posts
Let's say it's an EXTREMELY modded EPP FPV!

22 minutes on 3000mAh is awesome!
Old Mar 10, 2012, 01:44 PM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
Let's say it's an EXTREMELY modded EPP FPV!

22 minutes on 3000mAh is awesome!
50 minutes at 1.88 AUW on 6000 mAh is better .....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Mar 10, 2012, 01:45 PM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pardus View Post
Probably no longer technically a HK EPP FPV plane but at least the wing is original (although it now has some dihedral which has absolutely transformed the flying characteristics of the plane and which is something I think is vital on this type).

Flight time is 22 minutes with a Turnigy 3S 3000mAh battery. Motor is a HK3536 1000kv turning a APC 11x7 at about 250W WOT. Has Ardupilot in it for return-to-launch and stabilization. A BOB Fox 700 system operating on 1040MHz with a Remzibi OSD supplies video, watched through goggles . Furtherest distance from home has been 2.65km with a tuned vee antenna and stock dipole on Rx.

I like it ......
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Mar 10, 2012, 09:43 PM
Joined Mar 2010
525 Posts
buddy code for the hk epp fpv. USE IT!!!
http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...6-1CF8B0B2A14A
Old Mar 10, 2012, 09:45 PM
Joined Dec 2008
3,329 Posts
Can you take some photos how you mounted the booms to the wing?
cody069 is online now Find More Posts by cody069
Old Mar 10, 2012, 09:46 PM
Joined Mar 2010
525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnapa View Post
If you look a few pages back you will see a few pics and a brief description of the mod I did. There is no single way to do it, but I wouldn't attempt it if it's your first ever plane.

I maidened the t-tail EPP-FPV today and she flew very well. I got about 20 mins motor run time mostly at about 70% throttle, came down at 3.6v per cell. Pretty safe barrier for me, I won't go below that. Run time is half that when I bench tested it at full throttle. I'm running 3s 4400, 9x4.3 e-prop, not sure of the motors KV, had it left over. Could do better but it's enuff for now.

I might bring the CG forward 10mm from 100mm just to get the ass up more.

I forgot to mention that I also have some diherdal on the wings so I have almost have zero aileron travel and put them to use mostly as flaps. Let go of the sticks and she self rights...handy for fpv imo.

AUW is between 1.8 and 1.95kg depending on equipement on board.

For those asking why you would need a t-tail, try belly landing your bird in grass taller than 5 inches. Sooner or later that tail will catch on something..been there, done that. Not to mention that on the ground the stock tail supports all the weight of the plane without landing gear, a t-tail is never under any stress as the wing tips touch the ground before the tail tips do.

And with all the mods I did, I had to shim the leading edge my wing. If you do mod the tail, it's a different plane from the stock bird and needs re-trimming.

Cheers.
sounds like theres no real way of doing it, your pics confirmed my ideas. mabey ill post some pics when im done. what did you use to tint your wings red? covering film?
Old Mar 11, 2012, 03:21 PM
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvguy View Post
sounds like theres no real way of doing it, your pics confirmed my ideas. mabey ill post some pics when im done. what did you use to tint your wings red? covering film?
No, just cherry red spray paint. Well, I think there are many ways of doing it, both good and bad...but a bit of building experience might help. On my second fight yesterday I was flying out over a lake getting some HD video and made my final approach across the water and landed in sandy/grassy patch with quite a bit of speed to avoid any chance of stall. The old tail would have been almost certainly been damaged as a result of that.

Actually, the more I fly this plane with dihedral, the less I think I even need ailerons. I may just turn the wing servos to flaps only or add small wing tip ailerons.?
wingsnapa is offline Find More Posts by wingsnapa
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:10 AM
Wats the worst that can happen
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juice555 View Post

I just measured the static thrust using the NTM 1400kv motor, and 10x6 SF prop.
Thrust was 2kg (4.4lbs). 53A/567W
TheCure is offline Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Mods to My RC Electronics