DrEvil is offline Find More Posts by DrEvil
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2010, 03:39 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2009
1,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sverlander View Post
Ok what servo's are everyone planning to use in the EPP FPV. The manual just says 4- 9G servos.
I have a bunch of new HXT900 servo's that I use in smaller foamy plane's. Would I be Ok to use these or should I go for something like maybe a Hitec 56HB, 65HB or 65MG,HS-81 ?
I am using HTX900s for Ailerons and rudder, and a Hextronik MG14 for the elevator.

Maiden flight this afternoon!
tmsn is offline Find More Posts by tmsn
Old Nov 24, 2010, 05:16 PM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsn View Post
I am using HTX900s for Ailerons and rudder, and a Hextronik MG14 for the elevator.

Maiden flight this afternoon!
have a good one .... big day .....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Nov 25, 2010, 04:34 AM
Spain
Joined Jun 2009
81 Posts
Good luck, tmsn!
tumtum is offline Find More Posts by tumtum
Old Nov 25, 2010, 06:55 AM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,820 Posts
Ive got this motor laying around: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=3885
Is it going to be enough for an enjoyable flight or do I need something stronger?
Freakazoid is offline Find More Posts by Freakazoid
Old Nov 25, 2010, 07:15 AM
Plane and multirotor's - FPV
Moss, Norway
Joined Jun 2007
855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
Ive got this motor laying around: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=3885
Is it going to be enough for an enjoyable flight or do I need something stronger?
You wount need a much stronger motor, but a bit lower kv would be prefered.
1700kv and a 3cell predicts a 8" prop. Wich is a bit small for good thrust.
A 2cell with a bigger prop would pull to many Amps. 340W /7.4V= 45Amp.

Kai
DrEvil is offline Find More Posts by DrEvil
Old Nov 25, 2010, 02:59 PM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,820 Posts
Hmm, bummer. So it wont fly all that well with this motor?
I had it laying around from a model that exploded off of it earlier,
thought id use it on this plane with indeed an 8" propeller.
Apparently it gives 2 pounds of thrust on 8x4.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 07:46 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2009
1,329 Posts
Ok so I maidened yesterday and flew again today.

The plane is not exactly the lightest thing. It's tough, but pretty heavy for a plane of this type, in my opinion. For that reason, in my static tests the 2217 seemed very underpowered for short take offs. I opted for a Turnigy SK 3536C 1400Kv I had lying around, on 3S, 10x6P MAS prop, 60A ESC.

I am mounting a GoPro HeroHD on the nose. I only have 2200Mah 3S batteries and even with both the camera and battery on board the plane was very tail heavy. I ended up loading two batteries per flight to balance the plane. So it flew a bit heavier than it should.

First flight, I gave it a healthy throw. The plane dipped for a moment and then very slowly started climbing. Stable but very slow. Once I had some altitude, the first thing I notice is that this plane doesn't seem to necessarily want to glide, and it essentially needed about 75% throttle to keep level. Rudder authority is perfect for a plane like this. Ailerons also have a lot of authority and should be used carefully - the plane can bank very easily.

I felt in control at all times, but even with what seems to me like an overpowered motor I had a hard time gaining and sustaining altitude.

Landing was perfect and very slow.

Reviewing the footage, I had a lot of jiggle/vibration. So much so that most of the footage has a lot of jello effect. With this in mind, I considered a lower KV motor and a slow flier prop. I then installed a Torque 2818 900Kv I had lying around, with a 10x6 SF prop. I tried this today, and this setup could barely get the plane in the air. About 5 or 6 launches ended right on the asphalt in front of me. In the end I got it to lift off, but I couldn't go more than 40 or 50 feet altitude, it just couldn't push hard enough.
Went back to the 3536C, and I could do a couple of nice flights with the plane.

I am still not totally happy with the motor setup, maybe going for a 3536C 1050Kv might be better, not sure. I am going to get 3600Mah 3S batteries for it.

In regards to the plane itself, it handled every landing including the rough ones without any issues at all. Some little pieces of foam came off in one of the roughest ones, but nothing to write home about. I did notice the horixontal stab support beam got seriously scratched along the bottom from the faster landings on asphalt, so I will be reinforcing that. I also recommend using fiberglass tape or something similar along the bottom of the plane if you will be flying from asphalt.

The wings came apart slightly when landing, I need another mechanism to keep them joined.

Also, I had to reinforce the canopy mount so the camera wouldn't fall off in the air - velcro strips and a cord securing the canopy with the fuselage.

All of the footage ended up jiggly, but I did get a coupld od nice passes and it does what I want it to do, and the price is more than fair right for this aircraft.

I will post videos later.

Now off to thanksgiving dinner, happy turkey day everyone.
tmsn is offline Find More Posts by tmsn
Old Nov 25, 2010, 11:24 PM
Spain
Joined Jun 2009
81 Posts
Thanks for the update tmsn! Eagerly awaiting the flight footage :-)

How did you mount the GoPro? Is it possible to take a photo of it?

Thanks!
Old Nov 26, 2010, 12:32 AM
Zephyr 66" Blunt
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsn View Post
Ok so I maidened yesterday and flew again today.

The plane is not exactly the lightest thing. It's tough, but pretty heavy for a plane of this type, in my opinion. For that reason, in my static tests the 2217 seemed very underpowered for short take offs. I opted for a Turnigy SK 3536C 1400Kv I had lying around, on 3S, 10x6P MAS prop, 60A ESC.

I am mounting a GoPro HeroHD on the nose. I only have 2200Mah 3S batteries and even with both the camera and battery on board the plane was very tail heavy. I ended up loading two batteries per flight to balance the plane. So it flew a bit heavier than it should.

First flight, I gave it a healthy throw. The plane dipped for a moment and then very slowly started climbing. Stable but very slow. Once I had some altitude, the first thing I notice is that this plane doesn't seem to necessarily want to glide, and it essentially needed about 75% throttle to keep level. Rudder authority is perfect for a plane like this. Ailerons also have a lot of authority and should be used carefully - the plane can bank very easily.

I felt in control at all times, but even with what seems to me like an overpowered motor I had a hard time gaining and sustaining altitude.

Landing was perfect and very slow.

Reviewing the footage, I had a lot of jiggle/vibration. So much so that most of the footage has a lot of jello effect. With this in mind, I considered a lower KV motor and a slow flier prop. I then installed a Torque 2818 900Kv I had lying around, with a 10x6 SF prop. I tried this today, and this setup could barely get the plane in the air. About 5 or 6 launches ended right on the asphalt in front of me. In the end I got it to lift off, but I couldn't go more than 40 or 50 feet altitude, it just couldn't push hard enough.
Went back to the 3536C, and I could do a couple of nice flights with the plane.

I am still not totally happy with the motor setup, maybe going for a 3536C 1050Kv might be better, not sure. I am going to get 3600Mah 3S batteries for it.

In regards to the plane itself, it handled every landing including the rough ones without any issues at all. Some little pieces of foam came off in one of the roughest ones, but nothing to write home about. I did notice the horixontal stab support beam got seriously scratched along the bottom from the faster landings on asphalt, so I will be reinforcing that. I also recommend using fiberglass tape or something similar along the bottom of the plane if you will be flying from asphalt.

The wings came apart slightly when landing, I need another mechanism to keep them joined.

Also, I had to reinforce the canopy mount so the camera wouldn't fall off in the air - velcro strips and a cord securing the canopy with the fuselage.

All of the footage ended up jiggly, but I did get a coupld od nice passes and it does what I want it to do, and the price is more than fair right for this aircraft.

I will post videos later.

Now off to thanksgiving dinner, happy turkey day everyone.
Hi, thanks for posting your findings, I am going to use the same motor, the one I ordered has not arrived yet so it is good this one will do for a while. 10 X 6 prop is huge for that motor, any idea how many amps you were drawing to cruise? I hope it's not around 20 amps like 75% throttle would be. I am using a 5000 mah battery so that would only give 15 minutes flying, I thought it might fly at 6 or 7 amps. Was going to maiden it today but decided to finish it off with all the fpv gear because it looks like a stable flyer.
Where abouts did you put cog?

Thanks

Mark
mark hitchman is offline Find More Posts by mark hitchman
Old Nov 26, 2010, 01:45 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,119 Posts
I think expecting this fat heavy plane to ever fly near 6-7 amps is a pipe dream.
Probably needs to draw 35-40A to climb with authority and 10+ to cruise level.

That aside, a plane that needs a lot of power to climb or even stay level is either
really horribly draggy or more likely is actually nose heavy. Re-check your CG,
and try moving it back. My EZ* and Funjet both were real pigs when they
were nose heavy.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2010, 04:36 AM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,820 Posts
I think expecting this plane to be a floater is a pipedream all together.
It seems to do what its supposed to do. Haul cargo.

Though I wonder, if you were to buy a motor for it,
whats the most ideal hobbyking motor you can get for it?
Ive got a 35-30 1700Kv motor laying around for when the plane comes in,
but Im beginning to doubt more and more that this motor will cut mustard.
Its supposed to push 2lbs on a 8x4 prop, but with reports of nearly 4lbs AUW....yeah..
Old Nov 26, 2010, 08:50 AM
Spain
Joined Jun 2009
81 Posts
I'll be testing my 3536 1800kv motor in the next few days, so if you guys see a fuselage flying by without wings, that's mine...
Old Nov 26, 2010, 09:01 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumtum View Post
I'll be testing my 3536 1800kv motor in the next few days, so if you guys see a fuselage flying by without wings, that's mine...
We will all look out for it ....
Old Nov 26, 2010, 09:03 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
I have two new motors on order ..... both 1400 Kv and around the 400 Watts power level ...... I think this wattage will suit my AUW of 1570g .... we will see ....
Last edited by hobie14; Nov 27, 2010 at 02:03 PM. Reason: weight corrected to 1570g