SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:27 AM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan IV View Post
hobie, one question about your motor... (2217)
i've ordered one to,
i think my plane will weight 1600g 1650g (with all the electronic onboard)
is the motor good for this weight?

thanks
You can see the same motor flying in all the videos I made ..... the reservation I now have was taking off from our club field ...... with the wiind from the East you are taking off 'Over' the trees .... they are very close to the field ..... it would be nice to have a 100 watts more is my gut feeling ..... must admit I was surprised my Take-off weight came in at 1750g (inc lipo up to 275g and camera at 215g .....

The motor shows 270 Watts full throttle ....... I just have a feeling 400 Watts for my weight would be more suitable .... I'll keep flying it untill I see how the guys get on with their more powerfull motors .....

Give the motor a try on your plane and see how you feel ...... it is a really good motor and I have two more of them working, albeit, on lighter planes .......
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:36 AM
Spain
Joined Jun 2009
81 Posts
How did you guys mount the wings? With just the rubber bands they provided? Doesn't feel that sturdy :S
tumtum is offline Find More Posts by tumtum
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:09 PM
Flying like an Angel.
Austria
Joined Sep 2007
1,488 Posts
For the one who want to see how the motor perform.
Look at drivecalc, i have measured this one already and loaded it up to the database.
"Turnigy 2217 - 16"

I don't like this rubber band style too.
I would built it definitely with screws.
BlueAngel2000 is offline Find More Posts by BlueAngel2000
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:22 PM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumtum View Post
How did you guys mount the wings? With just the rubber bands they provided? Doesn't feel that sturdy :S
Usualy the rubber bands are on purpose for impact. They will give when you crash. Reduces damage. If you use screws, etc, the whole plane will get screwed and fvcked.
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:39 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie14 View Post
two planes now flying .....

in the whole world ....

better than last week I suppose .....
And neither one of them actually FPV piloted. Uggg.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2010, 03:34 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
And neither one of them actually FPV piloted. Uggg.

ian
Just for the record ..... I have made it perfectly clear I do not fly FPV ..... I purchased the Hobbyking EPP FPV as a possible entry into the FPV World ....

I posted that I had received my kit and I was bombarded by enthusiastic guys wanting photo's video comments etc ..... I went to great trouble to respond ....

if this deserves "UGGG" in response I must be missing something and will take all the videos off line if that is required by the Hobbyking EPP FPV flyers .....

May I ask that you immediately post your own HobbyKing EPP FPV videos and I will enthusiastically praise them I'm sure .....
Old Nov 23, 2010, 03:48 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2009
1,329 Posts
Don't take it personally... maybe he's not the good at communicating with the written word and he didn't mean it to sound so negative. And even if he did, why would you care? Would you really take your videos offline because someone on the internet is being an ass? Come on, you need thicker skin than that

Besides, most people actually appreciate all this stuff silently, without giving you positive comments all the time, it's just the way people work. I for one, really appreciate all the input and reports from everyone, regardless.

Back to the topic - I epoxied the two horizontal stabilizer supports that fix it to the boom. It's pretty scary that all that's holding the horiz stab is a little epoxy on those thin surfaces. I am thinking maybe they need reinforcement?
tmsn is offline Find More Posts by tmsn
Old Nov 23, 2010, 03:52 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsn View Post
Don't take it personally... maybe he's not the good at communicating with the written word and he didn't mean it to sound so negative. And even if he did, why would you care? Would you really take your videos offline because someone on the internet is being an ass? Come on, you need thicker skin than that

Besides, most people actually appreciate all this stuff silently, without giving you positive comments all the time, it's just the way people work. I for one, really appreciate all the input and reports from everyone, regardless.

Back to the topic - I epoxied the two horizontal stabilizer supports that fix it to the boom. It's pretty scary that all that's holding the horiz stab is a little epoxy on those thin surfaces. I am thinking maybe they need reinforcement?
No ..... I would not remove them .....
Old Nov 23, 2010, 03:53 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNiceGuy View Post
Usualy the rubber bands are on purpose for impact. They will give when you crash. Reduces damage. If you use screws, etc, the whole plane will get screwed and fvcked.
Ditto
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Nov 23, 2010, 04:54 PM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
2,066 Posts
Hee hee. Someone on the internet being an ass? Never! I, for one, also lurk about and greatly appreciate all the photos, info, videos and reviews on the forums. Thanks to all that take the time to do these things!
philthyy is offline Find More Posts by philthyy
Old Nov 23, 2010, 06:53 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,078 Posts
I didn't post "UGGG" in big red letters, so
please don't take it that way. I just find it ironic that we're 7 pages into this thread
about a plane called the "FPV" and nobody has actually FPV piloted it yet.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:27 PM
Sam in Virginia
Hampton Virginia
Joined Jul 2005
597 Posts
Ok what servo's are everyone planning to use in the EPP FPV. The manual just says 4- 9G servos.
I have a bunch of new HXT900 servo's that I use in smaller foamy plane's. Would I be Ok to use these or should I go for something like maybe a Hitec 56HB, 65HB or 65MG,HS-81 ?
sverlander is offline Find More Posts by sverlander
Old Nov 24, 2010, 04:12 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
I didn't post "UGGG" in big red letters, so
please don't take it that way. I just find it ironic that we're 7 pages into this thread
about a plane called the "FPV" and nobody has actually FPV piloted it yet.

ian
Bad day yesterday Ian ..... I was going flying .... low wind and zero rain .... and .......

we were fogged in all day .....

I'm looking forward to seeing a lot of FPV flight reports too .....
Old Nov 24, 2010, 05:31 AM
Spain
Joined Jun 2009
81 Posts
Fog + white plane = crash.
tumtum is offline Find More Posts by tumtum
Old Nov 24, 2010, 05:54 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumtum View Post
Fog + white plane = crash.
I agree .....

So I stayed on the ground all day .....

I was flying the plane on the slopes last week ..... 1st take-off ..... 2 minutes into the flight and suddenly from behind me Clouds moved in ..... no sign of them coming and no one around to spot them ..... landed quickly and then a white out for 1/2 an hour .... 30 mtr visibility max .... if I had been flying FPV at the time I would almost certainly have spotted them on the turns ....