HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2011, 07:49 AM
Joined May 2004
716 Posts
Good luck Tracks. Read over this thread a bit and gather some ideas to help you out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
Came home to a package from HobbyKing!! Started building my EPP FPV tonight. Hope to finish it tomorrow night and have my first test flight on Thursday!
Tony97 is offline Find More Posts by Tony97
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2011, 08:00 AM
Joined May 2004
716 Posts
Sorry to hear about your plane. Hate to see that. Wonder what was up? ESC get hot perhaps? I have seen ESCs get hot and shut down but the BEC function still work. Folks mention best to run an external BEC in case of total ESC failure you can still steer. Looking forward to seeing it back in the air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBNorris View Post
today was a bad day for me.....

Just put the new setup on too. I got work to do....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25EdK7ET_Ik
Old Aug 31, 2011, 08:51 AM
Blu-Core is my friend
La Crosse, WI
Joined Apr 2006
802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotglue View Post
I thought about mounting a servo on my Fy20 to change it's pitch angle
using the dial control on the radio. That way I could adjust it in flight
to find the best angle for it. Then glue it down and disconnect the server.
I'm not sure if it's really worth the trouble.
I did that to get my FY20 to the perfect spot, it worked great.
make sure when you get it "trimmed" you mark it before you shut off the radio... I used the rubber pads as the rear mount and nothing on the front, just the servo, well the rubber had enough force to move the un-powered servo.

Later,
Gundy
Gundy is offline Find More Posts by Gundy
Old Aug 31, 2011, 08:55 AM
New Beeeeee
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Apr 2011
864 Posts
Thanks, I got it on the operating table now (90% done). Just ran out of hot glue. The esc has a stand alone bec. I orderd new parts last night. I couldn't tell what happen? The esc didn't look melted i didn't smell smoke. hmm? maybe RX cut out?

oh yeah!
the 35-36a 1800kv is a monster on 4s!!!!! maybe 25% throttle on a 10x6 prop
my Turnigy L3015A-1000 580W w/12x6 prop i needed 50%-55% throttle
I'll run 2 2650mah 3s together way cheaper then my 5000mah nano.

Ruben
RUBNorris is online now Find More Posts by RUBNorris
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:35 AM
Joined May 2004
716 Posts
Ruben,
I hate when the cause can't be identified. Makes you wonder....

Quote:
Thanks, I got it on the operating table now (90% done). Just ran out of hot glue. The esc has a stand alone bec. I orderd new parts last night. I couldn't tell what happen? The esc didn't look melted i didn't smell smoke. hmm? maybe RX cut out?

oh yeah!
the 35-36a 1800kv is a monster on 4s!!!!! maybe 25% throttle on a 10x6 prop
my Turnigy L3015A-1000 580W w/12x6 prop i needed 50%-55% throttle
I'll run 2 2650mah 3s together way cheaper then my 5000mah nano.

Ruben
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:34 AM
Joined Nov 2010
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony97 View Post
Sorry to hear about your plane. Hate to see that. Wonder what was up? ESC get hot perhaps? I have seen ESCs get hot and shut down but the BEC function still work. Folks mention best to run an external BEC in case of total ESC failure you can still steer. Looking forward to seeing it back in the air.
When I got my new DX8 I lost 3 planes before I figured out that the ESC/UBEC was not providing enough
power to my Receiver. Things are changing in this hobby. Servos, receivers, telemetry are all becoming
more high performance, translated - MORE POWER NEEDED.

It seems that the BEC's on the speed controllers are not being upgraded.
Bottom line is. I will never fly again without an external 5A UBEC. Never lost
another plane since. Besides, using the BEC off the speed controller is asking
for trouble. If your speed controller gets hot because of the amps being
drawn from the motor, the heat is also affecting the thermal shutdown on the BEC.
Also I run my receiver, servos at 6 Volts. Big difference.
Hotglue is offline Find More Posts by Hotglue
Old Aug 31, 2011, 01:52 PM
Magyarország, Budapest
Joined Sep 2010
19 Posts
Hi!
My epp fpv aircraft good performance,first HD (720p) fpv video :
EPP FPV Flying Test - Part I. (4 min 48 sec)
smodell is offline Find More Posts by smodell
Old Aug 31, 2011, 02:37 PM
Western Europe 52.7° N 8.9° W
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
A couple of our Club guys lost a Hangar 9 Pawnee on Sunday last in the forest surrounding our field ( 600- 700 bucks fully kitted in our part of the world ) ...... I saw them still searching on monday afternoon so I promised them weather permitting I would bring the FPV EPP down to the field and do a video search ...... they had a good idea which block of trees it came down in so I concentrated mainly on that ..... 28 minutes of air time and the same on a laptop and we decided a tiny white patch high up in the trees that kept coming up on the video, was the only thing we could check out ...... four guys and a trek across the fire breaks took us to the search area .... 15 feet between the guys and less than two minutes later we found the plane ..... perfect except for a broken wing ..... as I say in the video ..... it will fly again ....

ps. if tree's scare you don't watch this video

Pawnee down (14 min 15 sec)
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Aug 31, 2011, 08:06 PM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,848 Posts
So I'm putting the EPP FPV together, and I realized it doesn't come with any screws to mount the motor to the plane. I got the 3536 motor with the accessory kit. Am I ok with a standard wood screw? What is everyone else using?
Tracks is offline Find More Posts by Tracks
Old Aug 31, 2011, 08:12 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2011
1,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
So I'm putting the EPP FPV together, and I realized it doesn't come with any screws to mount the motor to the plane. I got the 3536 motor with the accessory kit. Am I ok with a standard wood screw? What is everyone else using?
yeah mate, standard wood screws are fine. i use a little pva glue (or lock tight) as well just to be sure to be sure..
PMRfly is offline Find More Posts by PMRfly
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 31, 2011, 08:23 PM
Sam in Virginia
Hampton Virginia
Joined Jul 2005
597 Posts
Quote:
today was a bad day for me.....

Just put the new setup on too. I got work to do....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25EdK7ET_Ik
Sorry to see you crashed. You need to get rid of that battery,Put it outside in a metal can or ceramic or brick pot or something that wont catch fire. As for what happened to your plane is purely speculation but from what I see your motor is a 35-36a 1800kv which is listed as 700watts on 3S and 875 watts on 4S and you only have a 50 amp ESC. Hobby King lists it needing a 70 amp ESC which by my rule of thumb I usually double the ESC rating to twice what the motor draws at full throttle. Also put the ESC on the out side in the air flow for cooling. I'll bet your ESC over heated and you lost the BEC power to the receiver. Any time you set up a system you should put a watt meter inline with the battery and see how many amps the motor draws at full power. My EPP/FPV has an AXI 2814/12 1390KV outrunner with a Castle Phoenix 80 amp ESC turning a 9x4 Graupner prop and draws 37 amps-444 watts at full throttle and I power it with a 5,000Mah 3S battery. Here's my first line of sight test video. I have a few problems to work out with my pan servo, output arm has slop and the camera wiggles. My inverted Vee antenna was mounted to close to the flight battery which I think was blocking some of the signal and my ESC is to close to the Eagle Tree OSD which I think is causing the slow down in the audio speech.
I am in the process now of moving things around inside the plane and moving the video TX antenna to the top above the plane instead of the bottom side. In the video I also think I was getting cell phone interference as everyone at the field had one and theirs a tower near by. It was the first time flying at this field. It was in Williamsburg at CVA's field near RT 5 and the Chickahominy River which you can see in the video. It was a smokey day because of the fire in the Great Dismal Swamp.
EPPFPV line of sight test (9 min 20 sec)

EPP-FPV plane
wedge mod
Tail dragger landing gear with steerable tail wheel
Futaba 9C 72mhz
Corona RP8D1 receiver
AXI 2814/12 1390KV
Castle Phoenix 80 ESC
9x4 Graupner prop
3S 5000mah
Range Video 900mhz 500mw video transmitter
Eagle Tree OSD
sverlander is offline Find More Posts by sverlander
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:36 PM
New Beeeeee
Joined Apr 2011
864 Posts
sverlander,
Would a smaller prop help? i Have a 10x6 and will be running 3s now(2x 2650mah) W/ 70A w/ stand alone BEC 6v or 5v? I have a 35-36a 1400kv coming and a new 70A ESC.
My plane is back together now! 100%
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:48 PM
Sam in Virginia
Hampton Virginia
Joined Jul 2005
597 Posts
Quote:
sverlander,
Would a smaller prop help? i Have a 10x6 and will be running 3s now(2x 2650mah) W/ 70A w/ stand alone BEC 6v or 5v? I have a 35-36a 1400kv coming and a new 70A ESC.
My plane is back together now! 100%
Yes, if you go with a smaller diameter prop or less pitch you can reduce the amp draw. Their's nothing wrong with an oversize motor, you can always throttle back but if the ESC cant handle the current then you got a problem. You can have a big enough ESC to handle the amps but if you over prop the motor you will over heat and burn out the motor.
sverlander is offline Find More Posts by sverlander
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:50 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
879 Posts
Peril,
I agree that would fix a large part of the problem. Would like to see someone do it. I've gutted mine and don't want to look at it for a while.

RUBN,
So, are you going to buy another EPP FPV or somethin else? I think that plane looks fixable to me. Is the CF part of the fuse broken? If not.. just get some CA and fix the thing.

EDIT: Actually, maybe Welders would be a better choice; more flexible.
Kerbob is offline Find More Posts by Kerbob
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:27 PM
New Beeeeee
Joined Apr 2011
864 Posts
finished the repairs to my epp fpv!

EPP FPV recap (4 min 55 sec)