Good luck!
Hotglue is offline Find More Posts by Hotglue
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2011, 11:04 PM
Joined Nov 2010
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer View Post
That's great! What is this "huge E-max motor"?
Sorry for not providing details but I didn't have the plane handy.

Here's my setup:

2 2200 mAH 3 cell 20c running Parallel to motor
1 610 mAH 3 Cell 20c for Video
1 BEVRC OSD
1 FY20 Stabalizer
1 GoPro camera
1 55A Turnigy Trust BEC
1 5A UBEC Corona (This is a Must in my opinion)
1 EMax BL2820/07 motor
1 10X7 slowfly prop

I'm also using the DX8 radio with the Telemetry TX
I did the 5 klm mod to my DX6 but haven't installed it yet.
Last edited by Hotglue; Aug 27, 2011 at 12:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Aug 27, 2011, 07:34 AM
Turkey, Istanbul
Joined Dec 2010
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotglue View Post

it works wonderful. It's really worth it. The best thing about the FY20 is the wind. My FPV buddies always tell me (you don't need a stabalizer) but as soon as the wind picks up, I'm the only one still flying. The wind doesn't scare me anymore. lol

With my FY20 installed it will land itself.
Fully agree with FY20. It can almost land itself even in windy condition with FY20. I wondering if FY30 is much better and worths to buy next to fy20.
Firatp is offline Find More Posts by Firatp
Old Aug 27, 2011, 02:56 PM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
Well it flew, but....

Flew the EPP FPV today. Thanks Hotglue for the reply.

With that 18 ounce 6500 battery and the Go Pro it was heavy. I posted the weight a few posts ago. It got off the ground pretty good off a gravel road but it needed darn near full power to keep in a climb. I will look over the saved data from the eLogger later.

In my opinion...it flew terrible! A lot of power required to cruise and it was a real pain to trim the yaw out. As most of us know, the EPP FPV really skids or slips bad in the turns and your rudder is working hard to make it pretty. I too have this issue. When on goggles I noticed the plane in a flat turn a lot so I used trim to fix (a lot of left trim). When I get it trimmed out and you change power, it needs to be trimmed all over. If you just fly it and deal with it then set the power to where it was when you trimmed it, the issue is about the same and it is in trim. I flew a while to get a feel for it. I just didn't like how sloppy it flew compaired to how solid the Easy Star is. I monitored the temp of the ESC through the flight, never got really hot. I will check the data but think I only saw 111 as the high maybe. It was about 94 degrees OAT anyway. Upon landing on the groomed packed gravel road, the tailwheel tore off. Nothing to really glue it to. No biggie. I noticed the tail boom really can wag a lot due to the EPP foam giving a little. Need to fix that somehow.

Flight #2 - Lost my Depron wedge I made last night to try out so I used a piece of foam I had in my bag as a wedge. It looked to raise the back of the wing maybe 5-6mm I am guessing. No Go Pro and used 2 - 2200s. A lot easier to get off the ground and fly. Turns a lot smoother. Rudder trim issue still there but not nearly as bad. Smooth landing.

Flight #3 - Same configuration. When power totally off, the plane will yaw pretty good. Put a tad bit of power in and it is ok. Better with the wedge I think.

To Fix:
-Use a tail skid vice wheel. Got to make something up.
-Aft horizontal wood piece broke at very bottom when tail gear tore off.
-Make Depron 6mm peice to put under wing.
-Cut groves in sides of fuse near tail boom and shore up with carbon rod to help stiffen fusealage up. The foam gives a lot there and the tail can wag quite a bit I bet with the prop wash.

My next flight will hopefully be Sunday late just before sunset as the Texas heat is TERRIBLE! I am going to put the heavy 6500 and the Go Pro back in to see if the wedge trully did help the yaw issue or was it the reduction of weight.

If same issue - use 2 - 2200 packs and keep Go Pro.

If same issue after that, shed the Go Pro and just use the regular FPV cam and use 2 2200 packs.

If still not happy with that flight.......you will find a EPP FPV for sale.
Tony97 is offline Find More Posts by Tony97
Old Aug 27, 2011, 08:58 PM
summerfield, FL
Joined Nov 2010
31 Posts
Finally got it flying

I know most of you guys love your Epp-FPV plane.. but I'm not to impressed so far. It seems very tail heavy.. even after adding weight. Any suggestions. Here's a video I took at out field last week
Aug 19 movie (3 min 34 sec)
cotman007 is offline Find More Posts by cotman007
Old Aug 27, 2011, 09:52 PM
Joined Nov 2010
55 Posts
I agree, The Epp FPV does seem a bit sloppy to fly. While flying FPV
I handed the controls to a budy as he sat down in front of the monitor
his first words were "I feel like Im driving a bus"

I guess you have you just have to take the plain for the $69.00 plane that
it is.

I had some awsome flying this morning. First time using the GOPro as
the main pitoling camera. Worked well. I will post a video later.

Using the 2 2200 mAH My first flight was 12 mins (forgot to reset the GPS) so I landed it.
2nd flight was 20 mins and still have 11 volts left.

As it is now my Video Battery (610 mAH) forces me to land before my flight
batteries are dead.
Last edited by Hotglue; Aug 27, 2011 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Aug 28, 2011, 12:23 AM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
940 Posts
Mine flew better with a fy20 too; but still not great. I had to put the fy20 in 3D mode to work correctly. That's because I mounted the fy20 flat in the fuse and the plane doesn't fly flat.. it flies with its tail down. So, in regular stabilization mode, it wanted to fly down to the ground at a steady descent.
Instead of investing the money in the FY20 (which is a superb product), I wished I would have just gone and bought a Skywalker.
Kerbob is offline Find More Posts by Kerbob
Old Aug 28, 2011, 02:49 AM
Joined Nov 2010
55 Posts
I had a nice flight today. First flight using the GOPRO as my
main FPV Camera. It seems that the Lens fogged up on me at the end
of the flight.

FPV GOPRO (4 min 20 sec)
Last edited by Hotglue; Aug 28, 2011 at 02:59 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 03:29 AM
Joined Nov 2010
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbob View Post
Mine flew better with a fy20 too; but still not great. I had to put the fy20 in 3D mode to work correctly. That's because I mounted the fy20 flat in the fuse and the plane doesn't fly flat.. it flies with its tail down. So, in regular stabilization mode, it wanted to fly down to the ground at a steady descent.
Instead of investing the money in the FY20 (which is a superb product), I wished I would have just gone and bought a Skywalker.
My fpv buddy had a skywalker. It was a nice plane but the epp fpv is
way stronger plane. I installed my fy20 with front the the fy20 about 1/4
lower that the back of it relative to the edge that the wing rests on. I got
lucky, Took a guess and put it in. The plane does not change pitch when
I switch it on or off.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:00 AM
New Beeeeee
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Apr 2011
1,098 Posts
Nice Video's guys. From what i can see you guys got your settings right. For the $69.99 price tag YOU CAN'T BEAT IT! With my 12x6 prop at 50% i can putt around for a long time. If you want to fly better put $20 into some hardwear and make it fly better for those who don't like it. Skywalker has a weak tail and kinda ugly. the AXN Floater-Jet EPO is super small. I'd say for ppl who don't like it buy some Pink or Blue foam board and make your own. That EPP is awesome stuff.
RUBNorris is offline Find More Posts by RUBNorris
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:11 AM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
Mine very nose heavy. Huge battery slid all the way back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotman007 View Post
I know most of you guys love your Epp-FPV plane.. but I'm not to impressed so far. It seems very tail heavy.. even after adding weight. Any suggestions. Here's a video I took at out field last week
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RN1ROBmni8
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:13 AM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
What kind of hardware do you recommend adding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBNorris View Post
Nice Video's guys. From what i can see you guys got your settings right. For the $69.99 price tag YOU CAN'T BEAT IT! With my 12x6 prop at 50% i can putt around for a long time. If you want to fly better put $20 into some hardwear and make it fly better for those who don't like it. Skywalker has a weak tail and kinda ugly. the AXN Floater-Jet EPO is super small. I'd say for ppl who don't like it buy some Pink or Blue foam board and make your own. That EPP is awesome stuff.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:22 AM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
2nd day out - better

Just got back from flying. The EPP FPV did much better today THANKS TO THE WEDGE! I put the wedge in and carried all the same heavy gear as I did yesterday. Go Pro and huge 6500 mah pack. Much better. Still need to use rudder when you turn "as all airplanes need" but the yaw issues vs. trim were about all gone.

I will try to post the video later. I flew about 70% not on goggles. Trying to iron out Eagle Eyes Telemitry issues...another story. Real-time telemitry keeps dropping off in flight.

Took off Go Pro and flew a bit more. Only had to move battery 1" forward. Cruises about 5-6 mph slower airspeed without camera. Slight less amp draw as well but not much.

I will try and post video later though quite boring. Didn't go far.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:43 AM
SX_
.........lost..........
Zambia, Lusaka, Lusaka
Joined Jun 2005
325 Posts
Glad 2 hear shes flyin better tony
SX_ is offline Find More Posts by SX_
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:46 AM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts