Hotglue is offline Find More Posts by Hotglue
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:27 AM
Hmm, could this work?
Holland, MI
Joined Nov 2006
181 Posts
3s 10000 mAh 30 min

Looking through these posts, I see some in which questions were criticized as ignorant and I see others in which the limitations of the EPP-FPV were falsely stated. I still remember when I was just starting this hobby so I don't think there are any stupid questions. And as far as the plane goes, you can do pretty much anything you want with it. I use two 5000 mAh 3s in parallel and get about 30 minutes with a Rimfire 35-36-1500. I'm using a 9x6 prop. My watts for level flight is 130-50. I have an FY-21 autopilot as a safety measure. I'd prefer a higher kV motor but lacking that, I may switch to 4s.
JackBauer is offline Find More Posts by JackBauer
Last edited by JackBauer; Aug 25, 2011 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Prop wrong
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:34 AM
Joined Nov 2010
55 Posts
Fy21a

Hi JackBauer

How do you like the fy21. I have the fy20 and it works really well. I wish
that I would have just got the FY21 - AutoPilot. Have you tested it yet to
see if it brings the plane home?

Thanks
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:40 AM
Hmm, could this work?
Holland, MI
Joined Nov 2006
181 Posts
Yes it brings the plane home. The circling feature is also nice. Only thing I don't like about it is it makes somewhat steep turns.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 01:13 PM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
I have the Eagle Tree Systems Guardian on order - It was due be be out this month but still waiting. The Eagle Tree Pro has RTH but I hear that it is a bit aggresive without an autopilot so I am waiting to add the guardian before I test.

I also am lacking in my radio setup. I am using a DX7 so I can't use the head tracking capibility with my Fat Shark (Futaba only). I built a pan & tilt system and planned on using the AUX 1 - 3 position switch for left, right, and center and then the gear or AUX 2 for up and down. However....with the Eagle Tree system, you really should use those switches to navigate in the on-screen menus and test the RTH feature. So, looks like I won't be able to use pan and tilt unless someone else has a good idea. I really don't care about tilt, just pan.

I am starting to get the FPV gear moved over to the EPP FPV. I put it in my quadcopter to mess with first. I cut out a section on the nose to mount my Go Pro. I am going to keep the foam canopy on the plane or as much of it as I can for better aerodynamics. I cut the front of it to allow room for the Go Pro. I was thinking I would make a little wood shelf to screw the FPV camera to allowing it to peer over the Go Pro. I will try to post a pic on my plan later. Then behind that I will put my pan & tilt in case I want to jump to that later. Behind all of this stuff will be the transmitter for the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer View Post
Yes it brings the plane home. The circling feature is also nice. Only thing I don't like about it is it makes somewhat steep turns.
Tony97 is offline Find More Posts by Tony97
Old Aug 25, 2011, 04:04 PM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,953 Posts
Quote:
Looking through these posts, I see some in which questions were criticized as ignorant and I see others in which the limitations of the EPP-FPV were falsely stated. I still remember when I was just starting this hobby so I don't think there are any stupid questions. And as far as the plane goes, you can do pretty much anything you want with it. I use two 5000 mAh 3s in parallel and get about 30 minutes with a Rimfire 35-36-1500. I'm using a 9x6 prop. My watts for level flight is 130-50. I have an FY-21 autopilot as a safety measure. I'd prefer a higher kV motor but lacking that, I may switch to 4s.
Two 5000 mAh batteries gets you 30 minutes of flight? What's your flying style? I'm going to use one 5000 and I was hoping to get more than 15 minutes out of it.
Tracks is offline Find More Posts by Tracks
Old Aug 25, 2011, 04:39 PM
Joined Nov 2010
55 Posts
Quote:
I use two 2200 mAH batteries in Parallel and I can get 40 mins. I have 10X7 prop and the huge E-max motor. My style of fly is high and as slow as possible.

As soon as I got my HK epp fpv plane I added the wedge mod that everyone
is doing. Last weekend I removed the wedge. The plane flys way better
without the wedge. It still drags the tail in the corners but while flying FPV
you can't really notice it. It does fly faster with less power now. It seems
to glide better also.
Last edited by Hotglue; Aug 25, 2011 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:11 AM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
The wedge? Is this that mod where you add 6mm depron to back plate on fuse to raise back of wing? Think I read this this someplace. So you say not worth it?

Good to know.

Going to fly FPV with is plane on Saturday for first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotglue View Post
I use two 2200 mAH batteries in Parallel and I can get 40 mins. I have 10X7 prop and the huge E-max motor. My style of fly is high and as slow as possible.

to glide better also.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:39 AM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
920 Posts
In my experience, the wedge makes the plane fly more like a normal plane. I can turn with aileron only.. less tail dragging.

Its a simple enough mod. Give it a try for yourself.
Kerbob is offline Find More Posts by Kerbob
Old Aug 26, 2011, 04:53 AM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
Adding a wedge is not a mod that is at all mandatory .....

if you feel you need to modify the wing incidence then try it ...... if you don't need to modify the wing incidence then you don't need a wedge ......

There are proven flying characteristics that determine if you need to modify the wing incidence ...... Google it if your not familiar with the subject .....

For my own plane I took the advice of our most experienced club members who determined that I did indeed have to change my wing incidence and I've been delighted with the results .......
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Aug 26, 2011, 10:12 AM
Joined Nov 2010
55 Posts
I agree, every plane setup is different.

With my EPP FPV the wedge did seem to help the tail a bit better in the turns. I had only flown it once before I put the wedge in and then I started to fly FPV with it. After about a month of flying with the wedge I decided to try it without the wedge. As soon as I got the plane in the air flying FPV I could tell instantly that it was flying better. It seem like way less effort to hold altitude and speed.

The wedge also was demanding a lot of elevator up trim. I did order my plane long after the wedge mod was posted so it is possible that the factory made some changes. (not likley. lol)

In any case this big bird flys no matter what you do. I installed a FY20 and
it works wonderful. It's really worth it. The best thing about the FY20 is the wind. My FPV buddies always tell me (you don't need a stabalizer) but as soon as the wind picks up, I'm the only one still flying. The wind doesn't scare me anymore. lol

With my FY20 installed it will land itself.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 01:09 PM
Mexico, JAL, Guadalajara
Joined Nov 2010
106 Posts
I totally agree whit hotglue. i have too the fy20 in my epp fpv and works really good in windy conditions.
jfcomg is offline Find More Posts by jfcomg
Old Aug 26, 2011, 02:19 PM
Hmm, could this work?
Holland, MI
Joined Nov 2006
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
Two 5000 mAh batteries gets you 30 minutes of flight? What's your flying style? I'm going to use one 5000 and I was hoping to get more than 15 minutes out of it.
I fly slow, at whatever the lowest amps is for not losing altitude. I trim the elevator up to maximize lift.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 02:22 PM
Hmm, could this work?
Holland, MI
Joined Nov 2006
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotglue View Post

to glide better also.
That's great! What is this "huge E-max motor"?
Old Aug 26, 2011, 03:49 PM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
Epp-fpv ready

Well, I took the day off work (sick day) and finished putting the FPV gear in the EPP FPV. I have only flown it once without the gear for 10 minutes. Can't wait to see it go with the FPV gear.

Just got shipment notification that my Eagle Tree Systems Guardian stabilization system is on the way. Wish it was here now for the first flight.

The plane without batteries weighs 3 pounds 14 ounces. The FPV Gear INCLUDING the GO Pro in the canopy group weights 1 pound on it's own.

I am going to use a Max Amps 6500 mah 11.1 for the first flight. With that battery and a little 500 mah battery for the video transmitter it weighs in at 5 pounds 2 ounces. Seems HEAVY!

Added landing gear today as well. Never tried it. Not my best work but hope it stays on. Tail wheel is just a free castering wheel.

I have a pan & tilt system for the camera built but with the Spektrum 7 channel, it will be hard to do. I will need the AUX 1 and 2 channels in the near future for the Guardian system, Return To Home, Antenna Tracking Setup, etc. I will have to invest in a Futaba 9 channel one day. Maybe someone out there has a work-around they could help me out with.

All gear from www.readymaderc.com.
Eagle Tree OSD PRO with GPS
Eagle Tree eLogger
Eagle Tree airspeed (pitot)
Eagle Tree altitude (baro)
Eagle Tree temp (measuring ESC)
Eagle Tree Eagle Eyes System
DVR to record OSD image
Fat Shark Dominator Goggles
1.3 - 300 video system
Go Pro Motorsports Edition Camera

Spektrum DX7 with logger to monitor fades, holds, etc.

Installed a 3 amp external BEC as well.
Rudder and elevator servos mounted in the tail.

I will post how it went. Wish me luck.