HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2010, 06:10 AM
Plane and multirotor's - FPV
Moss, Norway
Joined Jun 2007
854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
So I just got my plane today...really excited. For some reason I thought it would be bigger than it was. Perhaps the size of the model holding the plane threw me off. Looks big and tough and sturdy though. The magnets on the cockpits are a joke though.

I don't fly FPV stuff although I love watching it. I'm just staring to video stuff with the spy cameras and a flip camera I just got. I also have a pretty lightweight camcorder that captures images and video on SD cards, so the camera will fit on here great. I've never seen so much space to fit an ESC...wow! I'll probably cut a strip out of the bottom to install lights for some night flights as well as some windows on the side for either pics (don't ask) or more lights. I'm going to use good metal gear servos. I also plan on installing landing gear and flaps. The ailerons on this thing are the biggest I've seen yet...huge!.

Most importantly, this thing needs a little custom paint job. The graphics leave much to be desired.

So my question is on the motor set up. I typically overpower my stuff and I'd like some suggestions for this plane. Would a power 15 or power 25 work o/k? I'm not looking for speed as much as pulling power, getting out of trouble if needed.

I love finding these threads on the planes I already have or want, so much great info. Sometimes over my head on the tech side, but I can read.

This may be a great plane for me to finally to a build thread on. We'll see.
Hi

If the link provided by Tumtum is the correct motor the Power25| i would say is a 4cell motor on this model, due to limit's on propp size.

this is from Badcock's calc.
http://www.badcock.net/cgi-bin/power...ear=0&D_gear=0

Maybe a little low on power on a 10x7 but the numbers from the 11x5.5 is close to a 10x5x3(3blade) in speed and thrust.

Kai
DrEvil is offline Find More Posts by DrEvil
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2010, 06:57 AM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumtum View Post
I think he means the E-flites

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...odID=EFLM4025A

looks underpowered
Yup, that was the one, I should have linked to that.

But underpowered? Thats supposed to put out up to 600 watts, and that will be underpowered for this? I guess I'll keep poking around and see what set ups everyone else is using.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 07, 2010, 07:03 AM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Maybe a little low on power on a 10x7 but the numbers from the 11x5.5 is close to a 10x5x3(3blade) in speed and thrust.

Kai[/QUOTE]

Wow...interesting page for sure, thanks. I'm new to tinkering with engines and set-ups, normally fly stock stuff. Some of this stuff is way to technical for me but I guess I have to read up and figure it out. Thanks guys.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 07, 2010, 08:26 AM
Moss, Norway
Joined Jun 2007
854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post

Kai
Wow...interesting page for sure, thanks. I'm new to tinkering with engines and set-ups, normally fly stock stuff. Some of this stuff is way to technical for me but I guess I have to read up and figure it out. Thanks guys.[/QUOTE]

My statement on "low on power" is compared with some of the other setup's in this tread.
Hobie14 was flying on just 250watt from the start.
I don't know if that was 250w off the batt or on the propp, but close to 400w on the propp is sufficient to fly with autorety and with the 10x5x3blade you would have even more thrust !

I would say if you already have some 4cell lipo 2200-3300mAh you would have a nice setup there.

Kai
Last edited by DrEvil; Dec 07, 2010 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Bad English :-/
Old Dec 07, 2010, 08:40 AM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEvil View Post
Wow...interesting page for sure, thanks. I'm new to tinkering with engines and set-ups, normally fly stock stuff. Some of this stuff is way to technical for me but I guess I have to read up and figure it out. Thanks guys.
My statement on"low on power" is comared with some of the other setup's in this tread.
But Hobie14 was flying on just 250watt from the start.
I don't know if that was 250w off the batt or on the propp
, but close to 400w on the propp is sufficient to fly with autorety and with the 10x5x3blade you would have even more thrust !

I would say if you already have 4cell lipo 2200-3300mAh you would have a nice setup there.

Kai[/QUOTE]

270 watts on the ground with a Watts up meter ..... ok(ish) if your launching off a 1200 ft hill but not much fun taking off with trees at the end of the runway ..... I expect a minimum of 400 watts from a new motor setup soon to be tested .......
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Dec 07, 2010, 09:02 AM
Moss, Norway
Joined Jun 2007
854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie14 View Post
My statement on"low on power" is comared with some of the other setup's in this tread.
But Hobie14 was flying on just 250watt from the start.
I don't know if that was 250w off the batt or on the propp
, but close to 400w on the propp is sufficient to fly with autorety and with the 10x5x3blade you would have even more thrust !

I would say if you already have 4cell lipo 2200-3300mAh you would have a nice setup there.

Kai
270 watts on the ground with a Watts up meter ..... ok(ish) if your launching off a 1200 ft hill but not much fun taking off with trees at the end of the runway ..... I expect a minimum of 400 watts from a new motor setup soon to be tested .......[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the update Hobie14, ok so 270w of the batt on that "smallish" motor is in its upper limits, and i would gues is aprox 65-70% effichency
wich is less than 200w on the propp.... thats "braveheart" flying
man

Kai
Old Dec 07, 2010, 11:51 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2009
1,317 Posts
Would it be a bad idea to go with a 42-36 750Kv motor on 5 cells with a 10x7 prop?
I have a bunch of big 5000Mah batteries, and it might be a good opportunity to get a small but powerful motor to push this bird and use batteries I already have.
tmsn is offline Find More Posts by tmsn
Old Dec 07, 2010, 02:27 PM
Moss, Norway
Joined Jun 2007
854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsn View Post
Would it be a bad idea to go with a 42-36 750Kv motor on 5 cells with a 10x7 prop?
I have a bunch of big 5000Mah batteries, and it might be a good opportunity to get a small but powerful motor to push this bird and use batteries I already have.
Wount a 5cell 5000mAh batt be on the hevy side ?

In prinsiple a 750kv motor on 5cell would work well.

http://www.badcock.net/cgi-bin/power...ear=0&D_gear=0

I would go for a 10x5 instead, as i don't think you would benefit much from a pitch speed of 140kmt

Kai
Old Dec 07, 2010, 02:45 PM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEvil View Post
270 watts on the ground with a Watts up meter ..... ok(ish) if your launching off a 1200 ft hill but not much fun taking off with trees at the end of the runway ..... I expect a minimum of 400 watts from a new motor setup soon to be tested .......
Thanks for the update Hobie14, ok so 270w of the batt on that "smallish" motor is in its upper limits, and i would gues is aprox 65-70% effichency
wich is less than 200w on the propp.... thats "braveheart" flying
man

Kai[/QUOTE]

yes ..... I think your correct there ....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Dec 07, 2010, 03:51 PM
Moss, Norway
Joined Jun 2007
854 Posts
Lol :d
Old Dec 07, 2010, 04:50 PM
Palmdale, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
387 Posts
First video is a cruse test on the motor setup from post #170. No sound. OSD is calibrated this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFwiLZ2lhsE

Next video is testing the GoPro mount. Needless to say it failed. Too much vibration. I had it on a pan mount but I think I going for a fixed position. I don't like pan on a GoPro.
There was too much wind noise (going to have to work on that) so I dropped the sound and threw in some music. (Flight = Palmdale, Ca)

I suspect this will be the motor I'm going to use till someone comes up with something better. It seems to do the trick and has plenty of power. Flight time on a 4000 mah/3 cell was 22 1/2 min. at 1000 feet high. I'm going to try two batteries next time. There seems to be plenty of space for it.

Here's the Vid. Watch it on vimeo's site for full HD.
http://vimeo.com/17576534
Arley is offline Find More Posts by Arley
Old Dec 07, 2010, 06:37 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arley View Post
First video is a cruse test on the motor setup from post #170. No sound. OSD is calibrated this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFwiLZ2lhsE
Did you use your gopro as your feed for your vtx? If you did, did you have to mod your Dragon OSD to get good video? The gopro didn't like my Dragon OSD+ V1 and I didn't want to mod it. I have a V2 and am hoping it will play better with the gopro. Great video.
Buffythesaint is offline Find More Posts by Buffythesaint
Old Dec 07, 2010, 08:38 PM
Palmdale, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffythesaint View Post
Did you use your gopro as your feed for your vtx? If you did, did you have to mod your Dragon OSD to get good video? The gopro didn't like my Dragon OSD+ V1 and I didn't want to mod it. I have a V2 and am hoping it will play better with the gopro. Great video.
Nope, second camera on top of gopro but Im going to separate them and put the gopro on the nose. pan and tilt on the flight camera, stationary on the gopro. That should get rid of a lot of vibration and I think the gopro has a wide enough lens that it doesnt need pan and tilt.
Arley is offline Find More Posts by Arley
Old Dec 08, 2010, 06:25 AM
Joined Feb 2005
2,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arley View Post
Nope, second camera on top of gopro but Im going to separate them and put the gopro on the nose. pan and tilt on the flight camera, stationary on the gopro. That should get rid of a lot of vibration and I think the gopro has a wide enough lens that it doesnt need pan and tilt.
Having all the weight of the gopro on a pan servo would cause vibration. I have mine fixed on my EG and it works out nice. You can use your FPV camera to frame the gopro shot. I'll have to test the gopro with my OSD+ V2 and see if I get clean video. I'd love to be able to use the gopro for recording and live feed out.
Buffythesaint is offline Find More Posts by Buffythesaint
Old Dec 08, 2010, 11:44 AM
Aosta, Italy
Joined Feb 2009
34 Posts
All your plane are tail heavy?

mine is nose heavy :|

4000 3s in the nose
1300 3s video tx near the motor
motor 35-36 turnigy tr with 9x6 (48 amp at 11 volt)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4916
two 9g servo for rudder and elevator put at the end of carbon rod near the tail...
10x zoom camera with pan and tilt with 2 futaba s3003
fy21 + ap117 osd on cg
colibri vtx and 1s behind the camera...

cg measured where are you telling (first carbon rod on the wings)
and nose heavy...

now i'm waiting my new ff9 that is in repairing mode to italian importer (radiosistemi) and when will come back i will maiden....
Ivan IV is offline Find More Posts by Ivan IV