HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:02 PM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,987 Posts
I went over mine with some 100/150 grit sandpaper. That seemed to do the job.
Tracks is offline Find More Posts by Tracks
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:21 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
I went over mine with some 100/150 grit sandpaper. That seemed to do the job.
Doesn't sanding EPP make it even more rough?

The sides on my epp fpv are actually quite smooth. Everything else has that textured look. Despite the roughness, I really like the epp foam because I don't have to worry about scratching or breaking it.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Last edited by gooby; Dec 10, 2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:31 PM
"Every boy has a dream to fly"
Fort Collins Colorado
Joined Sep 2009
510 Posts
well my airframe should be here Wednesday! so i will find out if it is smooth or not and if it can be fixed. also does anyone here have any good knowledge with 900mhz fpv systems? I have a 800watt 900mhz tx and rx for video and i got 900mhz cloverleafs and i walk about 100 yards away and get video drop outs. should i get a low pass filter?
Airplanekid333 is offline Find More Posts by Airplanekid333
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:21 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airplanekid333 View Post
well my airframe should be here Wednesday! so i will find out if it is smooth or not and if it can be fixed. also does anyone here have any good knowledge with 900mhz fpv systems? I have a 800watt 900mhz tx and rx for video and i got 900mhz cloverleafs and i walk about 100 yards away and get video drop outs. should i get a low pass filter?
I wouldn't bother trying to smooth out the foam, it really isn't as sandpapery as it looks. I have one the hobbyking 900mhz systems too and that doesn't sound normal at all. You should be getting more like 3km with that setup.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:28 PM
Fort Collins Colorado
Joined Sep 2009
510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kov16 View Post
I wouldn't bother trying to smooth out the foam, it really isn't as sandpapery as it looks. I have one the hobbyking 900mhz systems too and that doesn't sound normal at all. You should be getting more like 3km with that setup.
alright sounds good. and thats what other people are saying. I dont know what is wrong with my system!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:31 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
Quote:
alright sounds good. and thats what other people are saying. I dont know what is wrong with my system!
There's a good chance the problem is with the antennas. Try using the stock ones and then compare them to the cloverleaf. I read some thread where a guy was getting horrible range using 5.8ghz, and it turned out his antennas were bad knockoffs of ibcrazy's.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:08 PM
Fort Collins Colorado
Joined Sep 2009
510 Posts
I will keep messing around with it and see what i can figure out. Different channels, different batteries, different location, and i guess perhaps a different aircraft.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:53 AM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kov16 View Post
There's a good chance the problem is with the antennas. Try using the stock ones and then compare them to the cloverleaf. I read some thread where a guy was getting horrible range using 5.8ghz, and it turned out his antennas were bad knockoffs of ibcrazy's.
+1
IBCrazy or nothing...
greedyg76 is offline Find More Posts by greedyg76
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:37 AM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,733 Posts
900MHz cloverleafs? How big are they?
Bigster is offline Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:45 PM
Fort Collins Colorado
Joined Sep 2009
510 Posts
my 900mhz cloverleafs are dead on centered at 910mhz. I contacted IBcrazy and i was surprised he responded so quickly and told me exactly what was wrong. and he was right! My issue here is I am getting the black screen of death! my monitor is not designed for FPV!!! haha
I just the the airframe in the mail. I am water coating it right now and that will make it stronger for 4s and allow me to spray paint it without having the foam chew away from the spray paint chemicals.
Any modification i should do?? I read some where the tail boom bends in the front frame but I don't know how to get in there without cutting it in half.
Ill take any advice.
Thanks
Rex
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:04 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
The epp foam won't melt from any spray paint even without a coating.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:06 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Any modification i should do?? I read some where the tail boom bends in the front frame but I don't know how to get in there without cutting it in half.
Ill take any advice.
Thanks
Rex
No modifications are necessary. I don't have any problem with the tail boom bending and the vertical stabilizer is fine if you use rudder.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:32 PM
Fort Collins Colorado
Joined Sep 2009
510 Posts
I still had a can of minwax watar base that i need to use up before it goes bad. It might dense it up a little for 4s. UPDATE: made it less bendy and more stiff with a few coats of waterbase paint

which is better? Elevator on the top of the rudder or on the bottom? I have seen people modify it and put it on top.
Last edited by Airplanekid333; Dec 12, 2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:40 PM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
943 Posts
Quote:
Ill take any advice.
Thanks
Rex
I split it in half, it was easy the glue is not very strong. Added one of those fiberglass rings that come in the kit to increase rigidity to the boom inside the foam. Also made it easier to carve a channel out for my servo wires that run inside the boom, nice and clean.
greedyg76 is offline Find More Posts by greedyg76
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:46 PM
Fort Collins Colorado
Joined Sep 2009
510 Posts
nice, what do you guys do about the wing? do you put the spars in and glue it together or leave so you can break it down for transport? It seems to me that is a weak spot so i want it to be strong so it doesnt break in half for 4s