SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:52 PM
hjukhjuk
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,066 Posts
Is it possible to get extra canopies? It would be nice to have a few for different uses.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:42 AM
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Apr 2012
11 Posts
Well had mine going for about 2 weeks now with about 20 landings and 2 crashes. First crash was a bad throw the second was FPV with a 2.4 controller behind trees and powerlines and about 300 meters away. I kicked the wing tips up and fly it just with the rudder seems to fly nicer that way, I also didnt notice any difference with packing under the wing.

Im running a 35-36 910kv motor with a SF10x4.7 prop and a 5000 3s get about 20 min flying flat out but it glides so well in the wind that i can get that time and only use 0.2 of a volt aswell.
corrupt is offline Find More Posts by corrupt
Last edited by corrupt; Oct 21, 2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:00 AM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
1,014 Posts
I've read thru this entire thread a few times and can't figure something out. Everybody agrees this airframe is not designed for speed and any attempt to go fast is just a waste of amps. On the other hand, a lot of people seem to be using 6, 7 & 8" pitch props and 1400kv motors. Those steep pitch props and higher rpm motors just want to push the plane faster no? Wouldn't it make more sense to run a 3.8 or 4.7" pitch SF prop and 900-1000kv for this big slow flying airplane? I ask because I am still building my mine and have modified the firewall to accept an 11x4.7 with this motor : http://www.nitroplanes.com/86mb95-3020-1000kv.html. Hope I have made a good decision going against the grain here...

UPDATE:

Well just got everything soldered up and ran her up on the watt meter - WOT 402w @ 38a I don't have any scientific way to measure thrust, but just holding on to the plane seems way more than enuff.

At 40-50% throttle 195w @ 9.5a, this should work for level cruise. We shall see, shooting for the maiden this wknd.
greedyg76 is offline Find More Posts by greedyg76
Last edited by greedyg76; Nov 16, 2012 at 01:03 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:17 AM
United States, FL, Marco Island
Joined Jan 2007
664 Posts
If i was forced to use one of these I would re-enforce the airelons and might use two servos per wing. They flex to much and your gonna need to pull out of a turn or dive
picard10th is offline Find More Posts by picard10th
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:18 AM
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Apr 2012
11 Posts
agree greedy, I must find out one day how log it will stay up for. I usually just throw it at half throttle then go full for 3-4 min which takes me up so high I can just see it from the ground then spend 10-15min gliding down then do it all over again.
corrupt is offline Find More Posts by corrupt
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:24 PM
Semper Fi
Joined Mar 2009
1,014 Posts
Set up

Here is mine - UAV style:

As many have mentioned, the magnets that hold the canopy on are not acceptable for heavy FPV equipment. My solution was to use a body mount post from and rc car. The GoPro is mounted to a piece of lite ply that is epoxied to the foam. Seems to work very well, while still keeping access for battery changes quick and easy.

I wanted to swing an 11" prop so I raised the firewall to the top of the trailing edge of the wing. This also eliminates any rearward movement of the wing and helps to square the wing on the fuselage.

Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:49 PM
Semper Fi
Joined Mar 2009
1,014 Posts
Thrust Angle

What have you guys done with thrust angles? I have no issues with pitch axis, but under power this planes yaws to the right. The stock firewall angle would seem to accentuate this if you consider the CG as the point of rotation. I would think I need some shims under the right side of the motor to straighten the thrust line. The prop is a low 4.7" pitch. Take a look at my 3rd grade drawing of my attempt to further explain, am I on the right track or way off?

Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:54 PM
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
Almost looks identical to my old lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by greedyg76 View Post
Here is mine - UAV style:

As many have mentioned, the magnets that hold the canopy on are not acceptable for heavy FPV equipment. My solution was to use a body mount post from and rc car. The GoPro is mounted to a piece of lite ply that is epoxied to the foam. Seems to work very well, while still keeping access for battery changes quick and easy.

I wanted to swing an 11" prop so I raised the firewall to the top of the trailing edge of the wing. This also eliminates any rearward movement of the wing and helps to square the wing on the fuselage.

jglover is offline Find More Posts by jglover
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:44 PM
Semper Fi
Joined Mar 2009
1,014 Posts
I also found that about 8-10* of flaperons down virtually eliminates the tail drag in turns with no other noticeable negatives to flight characteristics. Im thinking about setting my aileron neutral position down a few degrees. Not worried about the extra drag or inefficiency since my maiden was about 25 mins and thats long enuff for me...
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:57 PM
Canada, MB, Brandon
Joined Jan 2003
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by picard10th View Post
If i was forced to use one of these I would re-enforce the airelons and might use two servos per wing. They flex to much and your gonna need to pull out of a turn or dive
They're flexing too much because the EPP connecting the aeleron to the wing is too thick. Take a piece of 1/4" rod, about a foot long, put a 90 degree bend about 1" in from one end. Heat the 1" piece with a torch.....not too hot....then hold your wing up to a light and with the heated 1" rod, melt the EPP between the aeleron and wing. Holding it up to the light will let you see the thickness get thinner. Melt enough EPP to make the aeleron swing freely.

One heating of the rod is not enough. You will have to heat...melt...heat...melt etc... If you go for a really hot rod, you'll push through the EPP very easily. Try it on a test piece to get the feel. I've used this method many times with total success. My EPP/FPV came with horrible aeleron hinges. I remedied the problem using the above method and they work great.

The aelerons should move freely with little effort put on the servo.

Bill
BillyM is offline Find More Posts by BillyM
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:51 AM
Semper Fi
Joined Mar 2009
1,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyM View Post
They're flexing too much because the EPP connecting the aeleron to the wing is too thick. Take a piece of 1/4" rod, about a foot long, put a 90 degree bend about 1" in from one end. Heat the 1" piece with a torch.....not too hot....then hold your wing up to a light and with the heated 1" rod, melt the EPP between the aeleron and wing. Holding it up to the light will let you see the thickness get thinner. Melt enough EPP to make the aeleron swing freely.

One heating of the rod is not enough. You will have to heat...melt...heat...melt etc... If you go for a really hot rod, you'll push through the EPP very easily. Try it on a test piece to get the feel. I've used this method many times with total success. My EPP/FPV came with horrible aeleron hinges. I remedied the problem using the above method and they work great.

The aelerons should move freely with little effort put on the servo.

Bill
or for an easier method, I just made several 3" cuts along the hinge line skipping 2" between cuts. This basically left about five 2" epp hinges and loosened the ailerons up a lot. Just make sure to start your cuts 2" in from either end of the hinge line so you have material securring the ailerons at the ends
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:44 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined May 2005
1,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedyg76 View Post
or for an easier method, I just made several 3" cuts along the hinge line skipping 2" between cuts. This basically left about five 2" epp hinges and loosened the ailerons up a lot. Just make sure to start your cuts 2" in from either end of the hinge line so you have material securring the ailerons at the ends
That's also what I did to mine. Been working great so far.
3DMON is offline Find More Posts by 3DMON
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:38 PM
Semper Fi
Joined Mar 2009
1,014 Posts
Many have commented on tail vibration or "wag" or general lack of stiffness. Some have had luck gluing a carbon rod between the boom and motor mount. I have gone a different route. My servos are mounted in the tail plane so I had extra fiberglass rings sitting around. When I split the fuse to make a channel for my servo wires, I glued one of those rings to the forward area of the tail boom cavity. This added much needed rigidity to the tail
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:13 PM
South Africa, NW, Potchefstroom
Joined Apr 2009
32 Posts
I can support the previous comment. Just insert one of the round FG supports from the bottom... I also have to carbon strips glued in the foam to stiffen the foam...
oupagryse is offline Find More Posts by oupagryse
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:50 PM
"Every boy has a dream to fly"
Fort Collins Colorado
Joined Sep 2009
510 Posts
So excited to get this airplane for FPV!!!
Airplanekid333 is offline Find More Posts by Airplanekid333