HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:10 AM
United States, FL, Marco Island
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
My EPP FPV opinion

I usually love to tweek and mod to get the best out of my equip. So while I waited for my EPPFPV to arrive I planned my mods, fuse reinforcements, Adding dihedral or winglets, tail wheel or skid, gear, ect. First I trimmed it out without FPV gear and pushed the design envelope. It loops fine, Rolls like a whale, Hates invert and speed is just a wast of time. but it does one thing well, Slow and stable! If I cut the power it will glide straight and long. it does have a lot of drag and eventually might address that. I haven't given up on the winglet idea that might reduce drag and give more of a self righting tendency. All in all I would have to give very high approval for a $70 entry FPV platform. I just maidened my second OSD and I feel confident to take the next step.
I'm having a blast with this new aspect of R/C flying! Oh I did glue 2 6mm foam trangle skids to the boom to protect the tail.
RVOSD 5 and EPP FPV test (8 min 7 sec)

IT's been 2 months since I wrote this post and I felt I had to come back and give my revised opinion. I can't recommend this plane as much as I tried it just wouldn't respond well. Someone mentioned a wet noodle and that accurately describes how this plane flies. It becomes unresponsive with any speed so pulling out of a dive can be disastrous. After puzzle piecing this plane back together twice I wised up and got a great flying Condor, world of difference!! Unless you want to do major mods I suggest stay away from the EPP-FPV-PIG
picard10th is offline Find More Posts by picard10th
Last edited by picard10th; Sep 12, 2012 at 10:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:52 AM
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony97 View Post
It has been a while since I have flown my EPP FPV and read this thread. Good to see its still going. I did fly my EPP FPV yesterday twice. It's a year and a half old with about 50 FPV flights. Still going strong. The comments about it not being a very good trainer are true in my opinion as well. It does fly very goofy even with thrust angle tweaks, mixing, and stabilization from Eagle Tree. I may stiffen the tail up if I can by adding carbon under the motor area into the boom area. It's feels like it may flex a lot in flight. I will also put a camera facing aft on one side so I can see how bad it flexes. I have the G meter as well on my Eagle Tree setup. On a typical FPV flight I only pull about 1.6 G's. When I land (I have landing gear added) only 2.3 G's are experienced. I go easy in the plane and even though it doesn't fly real good, she hauls a ton of stuff. I fly with a full Eagle Tree setup, go pro, separate FPV camera, landing gear, a 6500 mah hard case battery, 800 mah battery, and a video transmitter. All this gear (not the 6500 battery) was hard on my Easy Star.

I have been close to ordering the Sky Surfer 1.5 to replace the EPP FPV. It's hard to put up the EPP FPV though. She has been good to me.

I'm also at about 60 flights and have the same respect for the ol girl. The word goofy is a good one to describe her.
wingsnapa is offline Find More Posts by wingsnapa
Old Jul 24, 2012, 01:22 PM
Joined Nov 2011
216 Posts
Twin motor setup

I went with twin motor setup on the wings 750kv 10x6x3 20amps esc with landing gear
problem is ,it doesnt take off from the ground ,but with hand launch it does .
from ground it goes nose dip
what should be the angle of thrust ,this is my first time with landing gear ????
CG is on the spar
how the thrust angle of motors are in puller config???
//
RC Novice is offline Find More Posts by RC Novice
Last edited by RC Novice; Jul 24, 2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 01:44 PM
New Beeeeee
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Apr 2011
1,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Novice View Post
I went with twin motor setup on the wings 750kv 10x6x3 20amps esc with landing gear
what should be the angle of thrust ,this is my first time with landing gear ????
CG is on the spar
//
That might be really nose heavy? Is this some thing you want for long flights and good video?
Mine has been throught alot and flys like a dream. Looking at your setup, im thinking alot of weight might make it fly unstable? Any video? Id like to see it, might be cool.
RUBNorris is offline Find More Posts by RUBNorris
Old Jul 24, 2012, 02:26 PM
Joined Nov 2011
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBNorris View Post
That might be really nose heavy? Is this some thing you want for long flights and good video?
Mine has been throught alot and flys like a dream. Looking at your setup, im thinking alot of weight might make it fly unstable? Any video? Id like to see it, might be cool.
Cg is on the spar ,100mm from leading edge, AUW is 1900gms
im using rctimer 750kv full throttle with 20 amp hk ss esc with 3000mah 40c pulling 30amps total so 15 amps each

i will try again with hextronic 750 kv motorrs they are proven good with tricopter setup
it drop the tail during turns how to fix that ,already using rudder mix with ailerons
Last edited by RC Novice; Jul 24, 2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:57 AM
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Novice View Post
CG is on the spar
//
Move the landing gear forward? I'm not sure of the benefits of two motors. It's hard enough dealing with the vibrations of one, let alone two.
wingsnapa is offline Find More Posts by wingsnapa
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:58 AM
Joined Nov 2011
216 Posts
Twin motor setup

mind my cameraman ,just to prove it does fly by hand launch ,although not enough power

Epp Fpv Twin motor setup (4 min 43 sec)
Old Jul 25, 2012, 03:10 AM
Joined Nov 2011
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnapa View Post
Move the landing gear forward? I'm not sure of the benefits of two motors. It's hard enough dealing with the vibrations of one, let alone two.
Im having no issue with vibrations , maybe i will better get rid of the landing gear ,it give me lot of trouble too,although look nice when taxing ,
i ordered recomended motor ,its now month and half ,it on crawling ship from china , so i went for twin setup ,i have couple of motors lying around from tri's ,so that was the story
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:59 PM
Joined Nov 2011
216 Posts
okay ,i removed the landing gears ,change the motors to hextronics 750 kv ,raise the angle of motors 2 degree upward and move the cg 1 inch backward ,that when full throttle it pulls up and half throttle it fly level
at full throttle it pulls 32 amps 380 watts with 3000mah 3s prop 10x6x3 cw and ccw

now it flies great

hopefully get some video

now looking forward to get fpv raptor from hk
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:50 PM
New Beeeeee
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Apr 2011
1,046 Posts
ok here is my video of flying at the beach. VERY WINDY.

monterey beach resort FPV (10 min 33 sec)
RUBNorris is offline Find More Posts by RUBNorris
Old Jul 26, 2012, 02:33 AM
Joined Nov 2011
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBNorris View Post
ok here is my video of flying at the beach. VERY WINDY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDLJQ...&feature=inbox
very nice place ,good flying ,
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:57 AM
Joined Nov 2011
216 Posts
Back tto Pusher config

Using Hextronic bell motor 750kv with 11x4.5 SF prop with 50amp ESC pulling 19amps ,218watts at WOT ,7 -8 amps at half throttle using 5000mah 30c zippy ,
AUW 1770gms
using pusher confg now ,didnt like the way it flies with puller confg

im still waiting for my 35-36 1000kv motor ,wana see how it flies with it

it flies nicely ,only thing tail hanging on low passes ,
using 30% flaperon and 35 % diffrential

Curious ,why guys need 400+ watts for this bird,how much weight with fpv gear you guys are hauling ,?????

im still using weight for correct CG ,can go for 6000mah+ lipo to benfit out of it
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:54 PM
Joined Jan 2010
494 Posts
Anyone have any good motor recommendations for what I'm trying to accomplish?

Looking to carry a gopro, plus fpv gear, and have the option of using either 2 2200mah 3's in parallel (already own a bunch), or possibly a 5000mah 3's, or occasionally only one 2200mah 3s.

Hoping to use rougly a 10x5 prop since I commonly have those (but would consider others)

Mainly looking for decent flight times around 20 minutes or more, and not to be underpowered.
carl1864 is offline Find More Posts by carl1864
Old Aug 01, 2012, 06:19 AM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl1864 View Post
Anyone have any good motor recommendations for what I'm trying to accomplish?

Looking to carry a gopro, plus fpv gear, and have the option of using either 2 2200mah 3's in parallel (already own a bunch), or possibly a 5000mah 3's, or occasionally only one 2200mah 3s.

Hoping to use rougly a 10x5 prop since I commonly have those (but would consider others)

Mainly looking for decent flight times around 20 minutes or more, and not to be underpowered.
Turnigy SK3 3536 1200 or 1000kv
Tracks is offline Find More Posts by Tracks
Old Aug 01, 2012, 12:03 PM
KK4BTL
United States, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Feb 2011
219 Posts
Hey! Im using an Align BL 500 motor and speed control with a three blade 10x7! LOL

But I got it on floats! So I want extra power and speed to get it off the water fast. Im hoping once in the air it will be able so take it easy....she puts out a heck of a blast! Maiden next week, FINALLY

Got it on 2.4ghz spectrum....

Sometimes it binds fine....sometimes the receivers flash....

I had an orange receiver brown out that way and the dang EDF went full throttle! Already fixed it... any advice on getting the binding lights to go solid? Should I re-bind? This spectrum stuff is making my life dificult!

I dont need a ton of range...Im just building this to beat around the lake area in my neighborhood.

Dust
dustydonnay is offline Find More Posts by dustydonnay