HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2012, 05:56 PM
Joined Nov 2011
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyfly View Post
Made some more mods to the EPP ... So far I have:

Replaced foam hinges with mylar.
Replaced elevator with flat sheet balsa.
Replaced Ailerons with balsa, added flaps.

Reinforced fuse laterally, adding fuse lenght carbon spars embedded into the fuse on both sides. They also support and stabilize the landing gear, and extend out o join the tail boom, reducing flex at the joint.

A center wood spar in embedded the length of the fuse, extending past the mount for the tail boom.

Reinforced motor mount with light ply, joining the upper and lower parts of the fuse below the motor mount.

Inserted bamboo shoots and Popsicle sticks into the fuse to make shelving for the equipment. light ply on the top of the fuse, at the wing joint, strengthen the fuse horizontally.

Why did I do all this you ask???? because flying the EPP in moderate winds, with 2.8Kg AUW is like trying to fly a limp noodle... everything flexes, and dynamic inputs are often met with unpredictable results!!!!
Can you share some closeup pcs to your mod ,by reading and look ifind it very intresting
thanks
RC Novice is offline Find More Posts by RC Novice
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:02 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasono979 View Post
Tracks,
I recently purchased a 900Mhz, 800mw tx/rx combo from hk. I can't get 200 feet before things start getting way to glitchy. you mentioned getting 3km from the stock antennas...is this what I should be getting? I mounted the tx at least 20 inches from the receiver. I am just scared that i ended up with a lemon.
Thanks
Did you by chance have a cell phone in your pocket? My cell phone operates in the 900MHz band... In fact, most do. Cell towers and phones kill the 900MHz band.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:31 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3 Posts
Moved to videos.
Flyingveryhi is offline Find More Posts by Flyingveryhi
Last edited by Flyingveryhi; Jul 16, 2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:12 AM
Joined Nov 2011
216 Posts
start working on my epp fpv , does any one has an idea how likely install the tail wheel from hk http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=23898 thanks
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:11 PM
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Novice View Post
start working on my epp fpv , does any one has an idea how likely install the tail wheel from hk http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=23898 thanks
Looks kinda heavy, not sure why you need it unless ur gonna be taxing around the strip. The more weight you add to the tail, the more you will need to counter balance it at the other end.

As for installing the wheel, you just have to work it out, i.e. drill hole in boom and screw in or just glue in place or both? There is really no right or wrong way as ur probably the only one who will have done it. Trailblazer!
wingsnapa is offline Find More Posts by wingsnapa
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:38 PM
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Eppfpv

Those of you reading this thread thinking about getting one of these birds for FPV must take the following into consideration.

1. This is not a good first RC aircraft or trainer as it requires mixing and exhibits odd flight characteristics.

2. The build is not as straight forward as it looks and has design flaws.

3. Just because it's made of EPP doesn't make it indestructable, if you go in hard she will break up like any other bird. This EPP creation tolerates hard landings, minor crashes, hangar rash, but not much more.

I'm seeing more and more people on these forums watching a few fpv vids on youtube and deciding the next day to buy a whole setup with an EPPFPV as the ship cos it kinda looks simple enough. Sure, you can do it, but it will cost you and it has cost others, already seen it.

Don't get me wrong, shes a great bird when set up correctly, but without my 15 or so years experience and past mistakes adding to it, I would've crashed and burned by now for sure.

Get an easystar and learn to fly it first without fpv gear and when you can fly it to yourself and catch it every time, you're about ready me thinks!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:55 PM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
It has been a while since I have flown my EPP FPV and read this thread. Good to see its still going. I did fly my EPP FPV yesterday twice. It's a year and a half old with about 50 FPV flights. Still going strong. The comments about it not being a very good trainer are true in my opinion as well. It does fly very goofy even with thrust angle tweaks, mixing, and stabilization from Eagle Tree. I may stiffen the tail up if I can by adding carbon under the motor area into the boom area. It's feels like it may flex a lot in flight. I will also put a camera facing aft on one side so I can see how bad it flexes. I have the G meter as well on my Eagle Tree setup. On a typical FPV flight I only pull about 1.6 G's. When I land (I have landing gear added) only 2.3 G's are experienced. I go easy in the plane and even though it doesn't fly real good, she hauls a ton of stuff. I fly with a full Eagle Tree setup, go pro, separate FPV camera, landing gear, a 6500 mah hard case battery, 800 mah battery, and a video transmitter. All this gear (not the 6500 battery) was hard on my Easy Star.

I have been close to ordering the Sky Surfer 1.5 to replace the EPP FPV. It's hard to put up the EPP FPV though. She has been good to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnapa View Post
Those of you reading this thread thinking about getting one of these birds for FPV must take the following into consideration.

1. This is not a good first RC aircraft or trainer as it requires mixing and exhibits odd flight characteristics.

2. The build is not as straight forward as it looks and has design flaws.

3. Just because it's made of EPP doesn't make it indestructable, if you go in hard she will break up like any other bird. This EPP creation tolerates hard landings, minor crashes, hangar rash, but not much more.

I'm seeing more and more people on these forums watching a few fpv vids on youtube and deciding the next day to buy a whole setup with an EPPFPV as the ship cos it kinda looks simple enough. Sure, you can do it, but it will cost you and it has cost others, already seen it.

Don't get me wrong, shes a great bird when set up correctly, but without my 15 or so years experience and past mistakes adding to it, I would've crashed and burned by now for sure.

Get an easystar and learn to fly it first without fpv gear and when you can fly it to yourself and catch it every time, you're about ready me thinks!
Tony97 is offline Find More Posts by Tony97
Old Jul 17, 2012, 03:23 AM
Joined Nov 2011
216 Posts
okay ,it look kinda big but doesnt weigh that much , i fig it out how to put it ,there is a more or less 30 meter strip in backyard and open field so ..... by the size and wing span i decided to put landing gear and stuff
i agree its not simple to complete the plane ,and i have been flying easystar for a year with gyros and 450 class heli with Flymentor and tricopter

i hope i will finish it during my vacation ,as weather is horrible, raining and windy everyday,so keeping myself busy with it
Old Jul 17, 2012, 05:05 AM
Joined Nov 2011
216 Posts
does anyone have the unbalance saddle ,where the wing sits , on mine seems like when i see from the back ,the wings dont sit horizontal ,it dip little left ,2 to 3 degree
any solution to this ??????
Old Jul 17, 2012, 05:14 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3 Posts
EPP FPV IMO is a great model for FPV.
Stable and not modifications needed..
You can load and test any equipment you want.Weight is never an issue for that rc plane.
I can prove this by my videos.
Just a bit of practice and you ready.
You don't need any special skills to fly it.
Don't forget people rc World it is a game World.
In real life with about 10 hours of flight lessons you able to fly solo full size aircraft's..
They are just a flying models.

ps

6g is nothing for this model with AUW of 2.5Kg.Loops rolls and inverted flight easily can be executed.
This is not the only model i have.
I test fly many well known and unknown rc models and my opinion for EPP FPV is if you want a model for almost all the jobs go for it.

About wind check this video and how stable it is!

http://youtu.be/VtVYxmxdS1Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa78 View Post
I wonder how it will handle wind...
Flyingveryhi is offline Find More Posts by Flyingveryhi
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:01 AM
Joined Nov 2011
216 Posts
its a 9 degree incline to left ,if i keep the stabalizer horizontal 0 degree .

question is if i align the wings and stabalizer ,than they are 9 degree off to the body ,,,, is it gona fly okay ??????????????? or its gonna be un fruitful to carry on with the build ????????????????
Last edited by RC Novice; Jul 17, 2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:42 PM
Canada, MB, Brandon
Joined Jan 2003
497 Posts
Quote:

question is if i align the wings and stabalizer ,than they are 9 degree off to the body ,,,, is it gona fly okay ??????????????? or its gonna be un fruitful to carry on with the build ????????????????
There is no substitute for straight....

Make sure the left wing panel and the right panel are glued together at the same incidence. Make sure the the stabilizer and the wing are the same incidence. Make sure the stabilizer and the wing are parallel. Make sure the CG is where is should be.......and it will fly very nicely......
BillyM is offline Find More Posts by BillyM
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:23 PM
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Quote:

It's EPP, it will never be completely straight or true. A few hours in the sun or a warm car can change things. You have to just set it up best you can and 'wing' it a little. Eyeball seems to work for this bird...you will drive urself nuts otherwise!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:40 PM
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingveryhi View Post
EPP FPV IMO is a great model for FPV.
Stable and not modifications needed..
You can load and test any equipment you want.Weight is never an issue for that rc plane.
I can prove this by my videos.
Just a bit of practice and you ready.
You don't need any special skills to fly it.
Don't forget people rc World it is a game World.
In real life with about 10 hours of flight lessons you able to fly solo full size aircraft's..
They are just a flying models.

ps

6g is nothing for this model with AUW of 2.5Kg.Loops rolls and inverted flight easily can be executed.
This is not the only model i have.
I test fly many well known and unknown rc models and my opinion for EPP FPV is if you want a model for almost all the jobs go for it.

About wind check this video and how stable it is!
Sounds like someone from China talking here or you work for HK. You are so far wrong it's not funny.

Well, it is funny cos you say this is a 'wonder plane', it can do anything. Loops, rolls, inverted etc. Why would you buy this plane for aerobatics or anything other than FPV??? I have a Suhkoi for that.

'Just a bit of practice and you ready' Ready for what? and what is 'practice' ? a paper plane? And 'a game world'?? We fly in the REAL world in the same airspace as REAL people with REAL lives that could be compromised with comments like this.

These comments risk encouraging inexperienced, but well intentioned people to put a 2+kg RC plane that is essentially a UAV into the air and risk damaging property or into the path of full scale operators.
Last edited by wingsnapa; Jul 19, 2012 at 02:47 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:39 PM
Joined Jun 2012
25 Posts
post 1724 reported.

I think many People in here have no manners.
For me this Post is like a Personal Attack.
Something that bothers me to watch.

Unknown_X is offline Find More Posts by Unknown_X
Last edited by Unknown_X; Jul 18, 2012 at 06:48 PM.