SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 19, 2012, 05:47 PM
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy Flier View Post
Just wanted to share with you my EPP FPV - I have been flying it for quite a while now and made some improvements that really help a lot.

Enlarging the vertical stabilizer helps immensely - This modification is a must - It makes the aircraft track much straighter, with very little slippage -

I also added a little dihedral to the wingtips - This also improves the flight characteristics greatly, making it more stable overall!

Setup:
SK3 Turnigy 3536
10x4.7" Slow Fly Propeller
60 Amp Heads Up RC Speed Controller
Turnigy 3Amp BEC
14g Tower Pro Metal Gear Servos for Elevator and Rudder
HXT 900 Servos for Ailerons
Immersion EzUHF and EzOSDZippy 5000Mah 3-Cell Battery
nicely done!
I provided my dihedral at the centre of the wing, but I think the way you did it would be waay easier!

I have only increased my rudder area by about 30%. Seems you have more than doubled yours. I might give that a try too.

What are your flight times on 5000 and 10x7.4?
wingsnapa is offline Find More Posts by wingsnapa
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:10 AM
Joined May 2012
7 Posts
Hi Wingsnapa

Yes, I thought about adding dihedral at the wing center, but it would be a lot of work! The wingtips work well, but I'm sure what you did would make it even more stable.

And the rudder, yes it really needed it! It was so slippery at first.

I just switched over to using only 1 5000mah battery last weekend and still need to calculate my flight time.

Before I was using a 5000Mah 3-Cell for Motor, 500Mah 3-Cell for Vtx and Camera, and NiMH pack for receiver. That setup gave me 35 - 40 Minutes easy

Now my OSD was giving me problems so I have not been able to monitor consumption during flight, I dont know how long I can fly yet. But I would guess 25 Minutes or so safely, probably a little more. I'll do a follow up when I get my OSD working again!
Jonesy Flier is offline Find More Posts by Jonesy Flier
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:16 AM
United States, FL, Marco Island
Joined Jan 2007
664 Posts
Control throws?

Since I got such great response on the cg question I would like to ask what your using for controls min/max, response ect. the only suggestion i could find was 1cm on aileron, 1.5 elev and max rudder. It would be helpful to have a sticky on the setup for this plane since the instructions are so complete. At least mine had a "mental adjuster" for obvious reasons.
thanks!
picard10th is offline Find More Posts by picard10th
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:20 AM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,987 Posts
The CG should be close to the forward spar in the wings.
Tracks is offline Find More Posts by Tracks
Old Jun 20, 2012, 04:55 PM
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by picard10th View Post
Since I got such great response on the cg question I would like to ask what your using for controls min/max, response ect. the only suggestion i could find was 1cm on aileron, 1.5 elev and max rudder. It would be helpful to have a sticky on the setup for this plane since the instructions are so complete. At least mine had a "mental adjuster" for obvious reasons.
thanks!
My CG is toward the rear of the forward spar. Anywhere around the forward spar should give you good results. As for control throws, I've split those flaperons into dedicated flaps and wingtip ailerons, so it's all different now.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 09:35 PM
Joined Jan 2007
664 Posts
Thanks! Build and setup complete will maiden tomorrow weather permitting. CG looks good but I think it will work to move servos to tail when I add the FPV gear. Still thinking of ideas to prevent tail damage on landing. Don't want to add weight of gear but maybe a tail wheel or skids. I would like to see the winglets someone added.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:50 PM
Wats the worst that can happen
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
542 Posts
I blew it

Well, I still wasnt sure which way to orient my motor to compensate for my FPV EPP diving under 70%+ throttle. So I read some more, and thought I knew what I was doing when i oriented my motor (i'm sure too much angle) pointed down - that is propellor high, and back of motor low.
Well, my beautiful throw didnt turn out so textbook. The plane immediately slapped hard on the grass. Nothing differnent about my toss than usual - just the motor angle change.
So, did I blow it, and mis-angle the motor as I now suspect??

I also changed the tail a few degrees so it was precisely on center. But was not able to test this as I didnt get too far.
TheCure is online now Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Mods to My RC Electronics
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:02 AM
Canada, MB, Brandon
Joined Jan 2003
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juice555 View Post
I also changed the tail a few degrees so it was precisely on center. But was not able to test this as I didnt get too far.
Do you have an incidence gauge? If not, consider getting one. Guessing will drive you crazy.....

Once you have an incidence gauge, have the wings and the stab at the same incidence. Then, play with motor thrust angle....
BillyM is offline Find More Posts by BillyM
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:19 AM
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
Well, thanks to my Nova OSD RTH, My plane is destroyed as of two days ago. RTH put it into a straight nose dive from 200 feet. Override was unsuccesful and now Im back to 0. Its been fun guys and I wish the best of luck to all of you. I think Im going to stick to my home builds from here on.
jglover is offline Find More Posts by jglover
Old Jun 21, 2012, 01:15 PM
Joined Nov 2011
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juice555 View Post
Well, I still wasnt sure which way to orient my motor to compensate for my FPV EPP diving under 70%+ throttle. So I read some more, and thought I knew what I was doing when i oriented my motor (i'm sure too much angle) pointed down - that is propellor high, and back of motor low.
Well, my beautiful throw didnt turn out so textbook. The plane immediately slapped hard on the grass. Nothing differnent about my toss than usual - just the motor angle change.
So, did I blow it, and mis-angle the motor as I now suspect??

I belive down thrust give you more pitchdown issue ,try to raise the motor mount up from the CG line of plane ,,only if having problem with pitching down with zero thrustt angle
like to hear more about it from experience guys
RC Novice is offline Find More Posts by RC Novice
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:24 PM
Wats the worst that can happen
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
542 Posts
yea, so would I. I'm grounded until i hear something concrete
TheCure is online now Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Mods to My RC Electronics
Old Jun 21, 2012, 04:06 PM
Joined Jan 2007
664 Posts
build mods

Thought I'd share some build mods. Wing center alignment and power switch
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:57 PM
Joined Jan 2007
664 Posts
Maiden!!!

Well the moment of truth arrived and I got scared thinking of JGlover and wishing It wasn't a hand launch that could nose dive before I could correct. The push of the motor sure felt like it wanted to nose down so I decided to give it a gentle unpowered toss and it glided about 25' and came to a smooth skid on the grass. That made me feel better knowing it wasn't going to do anything erratic.
Well it flew great sure covers a lot of ground for a foamy, Big wide turns, loops and unlimited vertical. didn't have to do a click of trim but power wants to nose it down. So...............Since it glides level...
Is it tail heavy and the trim compensates so the more power increses the down trim. or....
thrust angle....since the thrust is applied behind th CG would up thrust ( washers added to top of mount) push the nose down ? like pushing up on the tail which is also behind the CG but further. Or push the nose up?

I think first I'll move the batteries forward add some up Elev ans see if that works
Old Jun 21, 2012, 06:07 PM
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglover View Post
Well, thanks to my Nova OSD RTH, My plane is destroyed as of two days ago. RTH put it into a straight nose dive from 200 feet. Override was unsuccesful and now Im back to 0. Its been fun guys and I wish the best of luck to all of you. I think Im going to stick to my home builds from here on.
I'd hate to say it man, but it looks as though its not the plane that was the issue here. I've now seen you destroy two of these planes in pretty quick succession and are now probably over the whole thing, as I would be.

To be honest, I think you were rushing into it way too quick. The reason I know this is because I used to do EXACTLY the same thing. I just wanted to get up and flying ASAP. The problem with that is I tended to overlook really important crash enducing aspects of the build, setup, and testing.

I could go into a million reasons why you could have avoided that crash, post- mortem, as most people do, but the key is, to avoid the crash happening before it does. Otherwise, this becomes a very expensive hobby and you want out pretty quick after that.

It sucks I know, but our main goal is to not have people go at this hobby like a bull in a china shop and to learn from OUR mistakes, not theirs. As for home building...I wouldn't know where to start cos even I have no idea!

Good luck anyways JG.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 06:12 PM
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by picard10th View Post
Well the moment of truth arrived and I got scared thinking of JGlover and wishing It wasn't a hand launch that could nose dive before I could correct. The push of the motor sure felt like it wanted to nose down so I decided to give it a gentle unpowered toss and it glided about 25' and came to a smooth skid on the grass. That made me feel better knowing it wasn't going to do anything erratic.
Well done man, that lil test there probably saved you and allowed you to climb out with confidence.