HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2012, 04:53 AM
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglover View Post
Well, I just have a few finishing touches left to do, but here she is... Im wondering also, should I mount the vTX on the tip of the wing and run the wire to the osd, or kee the vTX inside the plane and run a coax to the tip of the wing??? Any ideas?
Looks good. I ran my servo leads via extensions down the inside of the CF boom. You just have to carefully bore a hole from the inside of the fuse to the end of the boom to poke the wires out.

I thought about dong the wing bolt thing myself, that is until I hit a wire fence on landing the other day and those rubber bands gave enough flex to save the wing from breaking.

I'd stick with 72mhz for now and no video gear for the maiden, plus another five trim flights. Get her mixed right and flying like a dream first. Good luck.
wingsnapa is offline Find More Posts by wingsnapa
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:04 AM
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Well, I just have a few finishing touches left to do, but here she is... Im wondering also, should I mount the vTX on the tip of the wing and run the wire to the osd, or kee the vTX inside the plane and run a coax to the tip of the wing??? Any ideas?
The Vtx gets warm, it will work best mounted in air flow. There are heaps of placement combinations with a spacious bird like this. The one rule to keep in mind is separation. Vtx away from RX and GPS away from everything.

Mine works fine with GPS in the nose, Vtx in the stock position and Rx under the motor mount with the aerial in the tail. This leaves the BEC, ESC and OSD gear in the fuse with a mess of wires. I also have an air intake and exit on the side of the fuse under the wing to push air through the inner fuse.

Then before you fly, range check everything.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:38 AM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,987 Posts
I removed the first cockpit piece (the curved one) and mounted my 900mhz 800mW Vtx at the back of the other cockpit piece. My GPS sits about 4-5 inches away on the wing (held by velcro) My DL antenna wire runs out almost to the end of the same wing. I've never had issues with this placement, and have flown 5km with standard whip antennas.
Tracks is offline Find More Posts by Tracks
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:42 PM
Wats the worst that can happen
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
540 Posts
Maybe some veteran flyers can help me.
I'm still having problems with the flight characteristics of this plane.
The problems remain:
-anything over 3/4 throttle (on a 3236 1400kv motor) it starts to slowly head downwards at a tilt. using full up elevator and opposite aileron does little to change the inevitable, save for backing off on throttle while fighting it from crashing. a deep dive, gaining speed will also present this problem. seems speed related to a point.
-also, a great deal of aileron trim is needed to keep it level - the ailerons are very noticably tweaked at 0 stick.

modifications:
-5mm fibre rod between bottom of motor mount and boom to prevent flex
-moved servos to tail
-inserted 5 credit cards under rear of wing (above motor)

i believe the tail is glued on straight and true (I still need to measure this to confirm)
the wings i affix very carefully, paining to keep exactly lined up in the middle of fuselage
CG is approx at first wing spar

any thoughts? i really dont want to give up on this plane. its large presence in the air is sorta growing on me lately. i just need it to be stable and predictable so i can start my FPV experience.
TheCure is online now Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Mods to My RC Electronics
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:04 PM
Canada, MB, Brandon
Joined Jan 2003
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juice555 View Post
The problems remain:
-anything over 3/4 throttle (on a 3236 1400kv motor) it starts to slowly head downwards at a tilt. using full up elevator and opposite aileron does little to change the inevitable, save for backing off on throttle while fighting it from crashing. a deep dive, gaining speed will also present this problem. seems speed related to a point.
-also, a great deal of aileron trim is needed to keep it level - the ailerons are very noticably tweaked at 0 stick..
What you're describing sounds very much like a spiral dive......the only way out is to reduce power, level the wings and pull out...

The cause may be a combination of things. To fly correctly any airplane must be straight and true. First thing I would do is check the incidence of the the left and right wing. If you have a lot of trim to keep it level....the wing halves may not be at the same angle. If they're off...cut them apart and glue them straight. Also, check for wing warp. If one side or the other is warped, heat with a heat gun and make it straight....

If the wings are level on each side, check the lateral weight. If one side is really heavy, trim will be needed to fly level. Balance laterally with lead weight glued into a hole in the wing tip with epoxy.

Check your tail to make sure the stab is level with the wing and is at the same incidence. If it's off, make it straight..

I'm betting if you check all the above, you'll find something is crooked. Once it's fixed, it will fly way better..Then you can fool with moving the CG around and maybe trying different thrust angles with the motor.

Hope this helps....

Bill
BillyM is offline Find More Posts by BillyM
Old Jun 16, 2012, 02:56 AM
Joined Nov 2011
216 Posts
what about thrust angle ?? i remember having the same problem with my late Easystar as i upgraded to brushless motor
RC Novice is offline Find More Posts by RC Novice
Old Jun 16, 2012, 04:17 AM
Wats the worst that can happen
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Novice View Post
what about thrust angle ?? i remember having the same problem with my late Easystar as i upgraded to brushless motor
yes, i was actually told about this by a fellow flyer at the field.
I will check everything BillyM has graciously detailed for me.

Next I will consider the thrust line. I assume if all the above is recified and problem still remains I should experiment with putting a spacer under the mounts closest to the boom(bottom of the motor mount), thereby angling the thrust upwards.

correct?
TheCure is online now Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Mods to My RC Electronics
Old Jun 16, 2012, 05:21 AM
Joined Nov 2011
216 Posts
Quote:
yes, i was actually told about this by a fellow flyer at the field.
I will check everything BillyM has graciously detailed for me.

Next I will consider the thrust line. I assume if all the above is recified and problem still remains I should experiment with putting a spacer under the mounts closest to the boom(bottom of the motor mount), thereby angling the thrust upwards.

correct?
try some down thrust 2- 3 degrees and see how it flies
Old Jun 16, 2012, 06:39 AM
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
The problems remain:
-also, a great deal of aileron trim is needed to keep it level - the ailerons are very noticably tweaked at 0 stick.

modifications:
-5mm fibre rod between bottom of motor mount and boom to prevent flex
-moved servos to tail
-inserted 5 credit cards under rear of wing (above motor)

i believe the tail is glued on straight and true (I still need to measure this to confirm)
the wings i affix very carefully, paining to keep exactly lined up in the middle of fuselage
CG is approx at first wing spar

any thoughts? i really dont want to give up on this plane. its large presence in the air is sorta growing on me lately. i just need it to be stable and predictable so i can start my FPV experience.
You have the five credit cards under the rear of the wing right? So looking at the wing and tail plane side on, do they now have the same incidence? Sounds to me like you've over shimmed there...that tail must be way out for you to need that much shimming.

I know shimming was needed for quite a few birds out there, but does not apply automatically to every one.

My T-tail horizontal stab ended up with the leading edge higher than the trailing edge, so having a level wing in relation to the fuse would push the nose down. So I had to actually shim the 'leading' edge of my wing to match the incidence of the tail.

The rule is to have your wing and horizontal stab incidence match as close as possible.

Wing warp would be the other one. Have you left it in the car for an afternoon on a warm sunny day?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 02:10 PM
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
Well, not to get too terribly hyped up, but.... my maiden was AWSOME!!!!!! Man what a relief. 10mph steady wind with about 15 mph gusts and I was shaking on the launch. Nerves were shot. Got it in the air and it was beautiful. Got the trims settled in and ahhh... I am just so happy this didnt turn out like the last EPP plane and the most beautiful landing Ive ever done. Glides like a dream. Not too terribly fantastic on the flying into the wind. Kinda creeps along at full throttle. Running the 3536-10 1150 kv with a 10x5. The motor was warm to the touch, but consistent with the flying full throttle; not hot at all. 60A ESC was still cold. Few more flights and Ill be putting the FPV Gear on her. Man you have no idea how stoked I am right now.
jglover is offline Find More Posts by jglover
Old Jun 16, 2012, 02:56 PM
Joined Nov 2011
216 Posts
Quote:
So, heres the setup.
how much amps that master power switch can handle???????
nicely done again
Old Jun 16, 2012, 06:19 PM
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Novice View Post
how much amps that master power switch can handle???????
nicely done again
Its a 50A switch
Old Jun 16, 2012, 06:21 PM
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
Ok, so I just went and flew her again. No FPV Gear. There was a moment where I about in my pants when it was going away from me toward I95 and I tried to turn her around and the wind was blowing it everywhich way. Got to the point that I couldnt tell if it was coming toward me or going away.. and it was OUT THERE. luckliy God shined down and said here ya go.. and I got it back to me. Shes stable as all get out, however Im not really liking its climb rate. its almost 0. Its like when it gets to a certain altitude, it just wont go up any more. The tail drops like its trying to go up, but it doesnt. Just kind of flies straight ahead with the tail down. I also noticed that I had to fly it on full throttle for it to go anywhere. No 30% throttle control for this one... on the other hand it glides like a dream. Im wondering if I should anny up on the motor size to a 40??-?? kv???? Even then, Im kind of left guessing the motor and ESC combo until I get it on the OSD. Hmmmm choices choices... that 3536 1150kv just isnt cutting it. Any suggestions?
Last edited by jglover; Jun 16, 2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 03:44 AM
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Ok, so I just went and flew her again. No FPV Gear. There was a moment where I about in my pants when it was going away from me toward I95 and I tried to turn her around and the wind was blowing it everywhich way. Got to the point that I couldnt tell if it was coming toward me or going away.. and it was OUT THERE. luckliy God shined down and said here ya go.. and I got it back to me. Shes stable as all get out, however Im not really liking its climb rate. its almost 0. Its like when it gets to a certain altitude, it just wont go up any more. The tail drops like its trying to go up, but it doesnt. Just kind of flies straight ahead with the tail down. I also noticed that I had to fly it on full throttle for it to go anywhere. No 30% throttle control for this one... on the other hand it glides like a dream. Im wondering if I should anny up on the motor size to a 40??-?? kv???? Even then, Im kind of left guessing the motor and ESC combo until I get it on the OSD. Hmmmm choices choices... that 3536 1150kv just isnt cutting it. Any suggestions?
Go for a KV 850 to 1000 and 9x4.5 SF prop. Seems the best for me. A 10inch prop is just that lil bit too close to the boom for my liking. Thank god you got it back in one piece! Have you mixed rudder with aileron yet? I think it's a must with this bird. Also you may want to increase you elevator throw a bit.

Make one alteration, fly it, then decide if it helped or not. If you change two or more things before you fly it, you will bever know what worked and what didn't.