HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2012, 01:59 PM
Joined Jun 2011
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodjack View Post
heres one of my EPP jobbie in FPV,it was almost dark but still bright through the goggles.great fliers..

http://youtu.be/Crkegb5lM7c
Wow - the video is really steady - especially compared to my Bixler setup.... Is this gyro stabilized or just the flight characteristics of the plane?

-Steve
http://www.ilovefpv.com
ilovefpv is offline Find More Posts by ilovefpv
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2012, 02:11 PM
usual old know-it-all
Blackpool,U.K.
Joined May 2005
1,315 Posts
Hi Steve,no gyros,it flies lovely.got to dial about 40-50% rudder mix in with elevator for real smooth turns.
Co-incidence is my FPV pal just went from a Bixler to one of these and he said it was a revelation.
they even fly real smooth in 30-40mph winds...mine has a 85gram 1250kv motor on a 10-5 APC,dont need much power as soaring most of the time.
But i have been flying helis and planes for a good few yrs..
brodjack is offline Find More Posts by brodjack
Old May 08, 2012, 03:43 PM
Joined Jun 2011
210 Posts
Quote:
Hi Steve,no gyros,it flies lovely.got to dial about 40-50% rudder mix in with elevator for real smooth turns.
Co-incidence is my FPV pal just went from a Bixler to one of these and he said it was a revelation.
they even fly real smooth in 30-40mph winds...mine has a 85gram 1250kv motor on a 10-5 APC,dont need much power as soaring most of the time.
But i have been flying helis and planes for a good few yrs..
Yeah - I just maidened my EPP over the weekend and I did notice how well it flew in the wind.. The Bixler just gets blown all over the place..

How do you make your turns? Just rudder? This is the first plane I've had which didn't have dihedral and it's a little new to me...

-Steve
Old May 08, 2012, 04:22 PM
usual old know-it-all
Blackpool,U.K.
Joined May 2005
1,315 Posts
just turn using aileron, + rudder mixing,so dont need rudder stick movement.
This was bought for slow long runs FPV which it does the job well.

you'd think its so big and light strong winds would carry it off,but it doesnt
Old May 09, 2012, 07:03 AM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jul 2008
67 Posts
Flying around with my EPP FPV.

Regards
voutsasva is offline Find More Posts by voutsasva
Old May 10, 2012, 03:19 PM
Joined Jun 2011
210 Posts
First FPV flight with the EPP:

Hobby King EPP FPV - First FPV Flight (7 min 57 sec)

-Steve
Old May 11, 2012, 01:55 AM
Wats the worst that can happen
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
539 Posts
Building on my previous post... I took the EPP FPV out today again. I managed to get 30min from 2x3300ma 3S with varied throttle. Fairly uneventful flight.
The second flight i threw it, and the canopy fell off - thought was odd as I installed a handful of rare earth magnets. i shortly discovered my quick throw dislodged the batteries. One was hanging out precariously, ready to abandon the plan at any moment. The second battery was on its way out. The plane consequently was lop-sided. it took all i had to rescue it, and land softly. I don't know how I get myself out of these situations. I've been very lucky up till now.
In this case I do know how I got myself in this situation...i put the same 'sex' velcro on both the plane and battery. i flew it a few times, and never even noticed. The HK velcro is so sticky, even same-sex velcro stuck pretty well.
I digress...
My urgent question is: Why is it when applying full throttle i loose all elevator control?i need to apply full up elevator, and it still ends up tilting, and wanting to head downwards. My CG is about 1cm rearward of the first spar, both elevator servo, and rudder are mounted on tail. Elevator is a strong 9g metal gear servo. I have about a 7mm wedge on the rear of the wing.
it flies pretty well up to about 75% throttle. I havent confirmed yet, but it may be the speed itself, rather than the motor speed that is exhibiting this behaviour.
What options to i have to fix? larger servo? more elevator carbon rod reenforcement? motor thrust angle? further change wing incidence?

thanks
TheCure is online now Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Mods to My RC Electronics
Old May 11, 2012, 03:44 AM
usual old know-it-all
Blackpool,U.K.
Joined May 2005
1,315 Posts
whats the 7mm wedge for?
Old May 11, 2012, 05:15 AM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
whats the 7mm wedge for?
Wing incidence ..... covered in great depth in this thread .... you may need it .... you may not ....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old May 11, 2012, 07:12 AM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juice555 View Post
Building on my previous post... I took the EPP FPV out today again. I managed to get 30min from 2x3300ma 3S with varied throttle. Fairly uneventful flight.
The second flight i threw it, and the canopy fell off - thought was odd as I installed a handful of rare earth magnets. i shortly discovered my quick throw dislodged the batteries. One was hanging out precariously, ready to abandon the plan at any moment. The second battery was on its way out. The plane consequently was lop-sided. it took all i had to rescue it, and land softly. I don't know how I get myself out of these situations. I've been very lucky up till now.
In this case I do know how I got myself in this situation...i put the same 'sex' velcro on both the plane and battery. i flew it a few times, and never even noticed. The HK velcro is so sticky, even same-sex velcro stuck pretty well.
I digress...
My urgent question is: Why is it when applying full throttle i loose all elevator control?i need to apply full up elevator, and it still ends up tilting, and wanting to head downwards. My CG is about 1cm rearward of the first spar, both elevator servo, and rudder are mounted on tail. Elevator is a strong 9g metal gear servo. I have about a 7mm wedge on the rear of the wing.
it flies pretty well up to about 75% throttle. I havent confirmed yet, but it may be the speed itself, rather than the motor speed that is exhibiting this behaviour.
What options to i have to fix? larger servo? more elevator carbon rod reenforcement? motor thrust angle? further change wing incidence?

thanks
Technically, diving with speed would be a sign of being tail heavy. Put the plane up high, cut the throttle, and put it into a nose dive. If the plane noses down as it speeds up then the tail is heavy and you have trimmed negative reflex to compensate.

Just adjusting the battery placement should fix it if that is the case.
Tracks is offline Find More Posts by Tracks
Old May 11, 2012, 09:03 AM
usual old know-it-all
Blackpool,U.K.
Joined May 2005
1,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie14 View Post
Wing incidence ..... covered in great depth in this thread .... you may need it .... you may not ....
i know what its for,wanted to ask why Juice555 has it fitted?
Old May 11, 2012, 09:23 AM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
[QUOTE=brodjack;21582777]i know what its for,wanted to ask why Juice555 has it fitted?[/QUOTE

o key doke ......
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old May 12, 2012, 05:25 AM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
539 Posts
Most people complain about the dragging tail, so i pre-emptively installed the wedge before my maiden so this issue had less of a chance of presenting itself.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2012, 05:37 AM
Joined Nov 2011
216 Posts
Can you show in close up how u did it , i have still mine in the box ,im following the thread for all possible mods people are doing
thanks
RC Novice is offline Find More Posts by RC Novice
Old May 12, 2012, 03:25 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
539 Posts
i just stuck together 5 old plastic credit cards right at the back of the wing - on the wooden platform near the motor.i put a stack of 3 forward of the 5 for better support.
i thought i could adjust it easily by adding or subtracting the cards depending on the flight characteristics.
cant say im impressed at all with the plane. seems i am really fighting it to fly. im nervous to put any fpv gear in it.
might just retire the plane eventually and buy an x8
RCG Plus Member