HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:06 AM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,986 Posts
I have to say I don't understand why people are having issues with this plane. I used the standard build, no mods. Put in a a dragonlink, dragonosd, 900mhz transmitter and a GoPro. I use the SK3 3536-1400 powered by a 5000mAh 3S battery and a separate 1000mAh battery for the video.

Yes, it's slow and bulky, but that's the characteristic of the plane, not design flaw. I've flown lots of other planes, so it's not like I don't have anything to compare it too. If I wasn't always flying my TBRC wing I would still have my EPP FPV in the air about 12 flights per week.
Tracks is offline Find More Posts by Tracks
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:52 AM
usual old know-it-all
Blackpool,U.K.
Joined May 2005
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
I have to say I don't understand why people are having issues with this plane. I used the standard build, no mods. Put in a a dragonlink, dragonosd, 900mhz transmitter and a GoPro. I use the SK3 3536-1400 powered by a 5000mAh 3S battery and a separate 1000mAh battery for the video.

Yes, it's slow and bulky, but that's the characteristic of the plane, not design flaw. I've flown lots of other planes, so it's not like I don't have anything to compare it too. If I wasn't always flying my TBRC wing I would still have my EPP FPV in the air about 12 flights per week.
i dont understand either,mines a great flier,almost flies itself,even in strong 30mph winds.
Easy to launch and land 20mins.FPV on about 3600mah 3 cell.which would give about 30mins. overall on a my 5300mah pack. just needs about 40% rudder/aileron mix to get the backend round in turns.
brodjack is offline Find More Posts by brodjack
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:04 AM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
485 Posts
I agree. The plane is a winner. Set up as described I found it a little underpowered, and am now running it on 4s... The only mod that i made was to stiffen the tail boom, by inserting a spar that runs the length of the forward pod, and bonds to the lower side of the boom... This gives the tail more rigidity to lateral flex, which it what I think is to problem. The foam is so flexible, that under load the tail boom can flex at the joint. I noticed this when it was taking off... the power input caused the tail to wag up and down...
simplyfly is offline Find More Posts by simplyfly
Old Apr 28, 2012, 01:09 PM
usual old know-it-all
Blackpool,U.K.
Joined May 2005
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyfly View Post
I agree. The plane is a winner. Set up as described I found it a little underpowered, and am now running it on 4s... The only mod that i made was to stiffen the tail boom, by inserting a spar that runs the length of the forward pod, and bonds to the lower side of the boom... This gives the tail more rigidity to lateral flex, which it what I think is to problem. The foam is so flexible, that under load the tail boom can flex at the joint. I noticed this when it was taking off... the power input caused the tail to wag up and down...
which motor and prop you using?
My HK recomended NTM Propdrive 1400kv motor burnt out 2nd flight on 3S,so i replaced with a 80 gram 1250 kv Thumper,i had spare, and the 10-5 APC,enough power for FPV.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 03:59 PM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodjack View Post
which motor and prop you using?
My HK recomended NTM Propdrive 1400kv motor burnt out 2nd flight on 3S,so i replaced with a 80 gram 1250 kv Thumper,i had spare, and the 10-5 APC,enough power for FPV.
Yes, this sounds like about the right combination. There is a sweet spot where if you overpower this plane, your just bleeding amps without gaining any speed.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 01:43 AM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:

+1 from me too ......
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old May 02, 2012, 08:52 AM
Belgium
Joined May 2012
134 Posts
Hey guys, just arrived at the latest page of this thread,

got mine a few day's ago - waiting for the servos (I've order the metal gear turnigy 2.2kg - dont trust the 9g for this big plane)

I also design my POD system (on an epoxy sheet) with my CNC

let me know what you thing photo bellow;

got some in stock any feedback please let me know
nexty is offline Find More Posts by nexty
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FlyX-Vision: Is almost there!
Old May 02, 2012, 09:36 AM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexty View Post
Hey guys, just arrived at the latest page of this thread,

got mine a few day's ago - waiting for the servos (I've order the metal gear turnigy 2.2kg - dont trust the 9g for this big plane)

I also design my POD system (on an epoxy sheet) with my CNC

let me know what you thing photo bellow;

got some in stock any feedback please let me know
Really nice! So how are you going to secure it on the plane so it doesn't fly off? I don't trust those magnets!
Old May 02, 2012, 09:41 AM
Belgium
Joined May 2012
134 Posts
Quote:
Really nice! So how are you going to secure it on the plane so it doesn't fly off? I don't trust those magnets!
thanks ;-)

the mounting is already in place, gonna take a picture and I'll show you in a minute

edit: picture included;

those little screw fit verry nice, shaft inside the EPP - regarding the canopi, mounted with some elastic nothing fancy
nexty is offline Find More Posts by nexty
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by nexty; May 02, 2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old May 03, 2012, 12:34 PM
Mexico, JAL, Guadalajara
Joined Nov 2010
106 Posts
Hi group !
i want to share this fly that i made with my epp fpv in my vacation to Nuevo Vallarta mexico.
enjoy.
Marina La Cruz de Huanacaxtle (15 min 28 sec)
jfcomg is offline Find More Posts by jfcomg
Old May 03, 2012, 12:49 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,373 Posts
Quote:

The issues aren't huge. But I still gave mine away.

Didn't enjoy flying it. Kind of huge and bulky to haul around. can only fit a 10 inch prop, so it was noisy. Weird things seen from the tail which not only required rudder mix, but also seemed to fly with the tail hanging down reducing the performance of the main wing. Slow and not very wide envelope.

Big plus was it could haul some weight - maybe a better videocam than a Gopro if you are into that.

Strangely I am having the most fun and freedom flying my EPP bald eagle via FPV now. Even slower than the EPPFPV, but very nice to fly off of tight spaces and requires half as much battery - plus it is incognito and allows me to fly many more sites where the EPPFPV would result in complaints: silent slowfly prop, looks exactly like an eagle once it is 300ft up.
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old May 06, 2012, 06:52 PM
Wats the worst that can happen
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
513 Posts
Maiden

I maidened my EPP today. I have 2x 3300ma 3S packs, HK recommended 1400kv motor & prop.
Pretty sure it doesnt need full throttle for launch. damn thing nearly ripped my arm off. It's very difficult at full throttle to battle the plane to keep it level before the throw. 75%, and all was good.
Initially the CG was too far forward as the elevator wasnt doing much to keep it in the air. I brought it in after soiling my pants on a few occasions, and moved the batteries back.
Seems even at full throttle in the air the plane acts odd - like i am fighting a dragon that wants to do its own thing.50% throttle was quite enough to clip along at a very decent speed.
Only mod I did was to angle down the wing by inserting a 5-7mm wedge at the rear.
i'm impressed so far...but doesnt handle as straight and true as i hoped in the wind gusts. maybe my fy31 will sort that out.
TheCure is offline Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by TheCure; May 07, 2012 at 03:15 AM.
Old May 07, 2012, 11:06 PM
Joined Jun 2011
207 Posts
First flights with the Hobby King EPP FPV

Fun plane!
ilovefpv is offline Find More Posts by ilovefpv
Old May 08, 2012, 04:11 AM
usual old know-it-all
Blackpool,U.K.
Joined May 2005
1,313 Posts
heres one of my EPP jobbie in FPV,it was almost dark but still bright through the goggles.great fliers..

http://youtu.be/Crkegb5lM7c
Old May 08, 2012, 10:22 AM
Mexico, JAL, Guadalajara
Joined Nov 2010
106 Posts
This is my second video of my visit to Nuevo Vallarta Nayarit Mexico with the EPP FPV Plane.
hope you like it
Nuevo Vallarta Nayarit Mexico 1 (6 min 53 sec)
jfcomg is offline Find More Posts by jfcomg