HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:09 AM
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
Well, so far, so good. The new plane is coming along really good. she's not the prettiest thing, but as long as she flies I'll be happy. The other good news its that my motor is not messed up after all. Took it apart and checked the bearings and cleaned the magnets out and now she spins freely again. Hopefully Ill be putting the new plane in the air by tuesday. I added a little bit of diheadreal to the wings when I made them and made a double tail boom coming off of the wing instead of using a single boom out of the fuselage. Im hoping this will help with the tail drag. My thoughts are to make this a 3 channel bird instead of 4. I dont really need the ailerons if Im going to be strictly fpv with it just for the view. Im not really into all the stunt stuff. I could be wrong and if I am, someone please chime in if I do need ailerons on a bird this size. The wing span on this plane is about 5 inches longer than the EPP FPV. I was amazed at how simple it was to build it. Anyways, Im transferring the motor over from the EPP to this one and Im putting a 60 ESC on it as well as 14g servos instead of the 9g. The rudder and tail flap are attached by hinge tape, so we'll see how it does.. Wish me luck.
jglover is offline Find More Posts by jglover
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:08 AM
Joined Jun 2011
210 Posts
Here's my Hobby King EPP FPV build to date

Check it out and let me know what you think...
ilovefpv is offline Find More Posts by ilovefpv
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:24 AM
Joined Dec 2009
196 Posts
Guys, I love my EPP bus,

it's so simple to fly, zero hassle, etc.

But it's just so slow, and climb rates are poor.

It's fine for cruising around, but I want a second plane that is also a pusher, good for FPV, but perhaps abotu 20mph faster, and say triple the climb rate. (I realise I'd lose some flight time, but that's OK).

So, a faster, more powerful, a little more agile version of the EPP.

any suggestions?
hazchem88 is offline Find More Posts by hazchem88
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:06 AM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazchem88 View Post
Guys, I love my EPP bus,

it's so simple to fly, zero hassle, etc.

But it's just so slow, and climb rates are poor.

It's fine for cruising around, but I want a second plane that is also a pusher, good for FPV, but perhaps abotu 20mph faster, and say triple the climb rate. (I realise I'd lose some flight time, but that's OK).

any suggestions?
A Skywalker is a little more agile, a little faster, or you could also go with a wing like the Scout Bee or Zephyr.
Tracks is offline Find More Posts by Tracks
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:11 PM
Joined Nov 2011
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglover View Post
Well, so far, so good. The new plane is coming along really good. she's not the prettiest thing, but as long as she flies I'll be happy. The other good news its that my motor is not messed up after all. Took it apart and checked the bearings and cleaned the magnets out and now she spins freely again. Hopefully Ill be putting the new plane in the air by tuesday. I added a little bit of diheadreal to the wings when I made them and made a double tail boom coming off of the wing instead of using a single boom out of the fuselage. Im hoping this will help with the tail drag. My thoughts are to make this a 3 channel bird instead of 4. I dont really need the ailerons if Im going to be strictly fpv with it just for the view. Im not really into all the stunt stuff. I could be wrong and if I am, someone please chime in if I do need ailerons on a bird this size. The wing span on this plane is about 5 inches longer than the EPP FPV. I was amazed at how simple it was to build it. Anyways, Im transferring the motor over from the EPP to this one and Im putting a 60 ESC on it as well as 14g servos instead of the 9g. The rudder and tail flap are attached by hinge tape, so we'll see how it does.. Wish me luck.
Nicely done ,
how did you make the wing dihedral , pics would be appreciated,
Isnt the wings supporting the tail easy to damage during landings ,or after sometime they make the attachment wear out ,just a thought , what material you used for tail????????
RC Novice is offline Find More Posts by RC Novice
Old Apr 16, 2012, 02:16 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazchem88 View Post

any suggestions?
I found it too slow and wasteful of energy, and prone to weird handling issues. Sure it is truly easy to fly and can carry a load. But I much prefer the flying characteristics of my Easy star type planes. Shelved the EPPFPV.

So I built a Zephyr2. Maidened yesterday. After I took controls from my bud, the onlookers said 'hey you're going straight up!' Mostly I was cruising at about 60kph. I think this is the start of a wonderful friendship. But initially, a fair amount more challenging to build and fly than the EPPFPV or Easy star.
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Apr 16, 2012, 02:53 PM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
But initially, a fair amount more challenging to build and fly than the EPPFPV or Easy star.
Certainly a lot less room for error on launch.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:47 PM
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Don't use the same prop with that motor, your prop was too big for it, I can tell just from the numbers you posted. Also, how are the wings sparred and how much dihedral do you have? You can't run 3 channels without it.
wingsnapa is offline Find More Posts by wingsnapa
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:29 PM
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
I've got 4 dows running through the wing. There's about a 10 degree angle for the dihedral and I did get a smaller prop 9x5 compared to the 10x7 that was on it. I'll see how it does and go from there.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:51 AM
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
Man, it looks dead in here.. Where did everyone go to.. Anyways, I finished the scratch built look alike of the epp that I posted up earlier and it flew like a champ. Only thing I found was I need a bigger motor to push that hoss. I made it a little bigger than the EPP, but it flew fine with the motor I put on it. I have decided that since it did not drag its tail and flew so well, Im transferring the double boom tail to the EPP as well as the motor. I upgraded the ESC to a 60 amp and pushing that great big plane, it didnt even get warm. So, tomorrow, Ill be test flying the EPP with thedouble boom tail. And yo may notice that I left the carbon fiber tail boom in place as well to act as a drag when I put the landing gear back on. Funny thing is, it ballances out with way less weight in the nose now than before.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:30 PM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,987 Posts
Looks good! Just needs some FPV gear!
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:56 PM
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
Looks good! Just needs some FPV gear!
Yeah, I test flew it today.. MUCH BETTER!!!! Now, as far as my FPV gear, well, I did a firmware update to my OSD and it crashed the OSD board. I have no display now. Skylark is saying I have to mail it back to them for them to fix it, but it'll cost me just as much in shipping as to order a new board, so... Im about to move to FL from NC so I have to wait because I know it wont be here before then..
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:35 PM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,987 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, I test flew it today.. MUCH BETTER!!!! Now, as far as my FPV gear, well, I did a firmware update to my OSD and it crashed the OSD board. I have no display now. Skylark is saying I have to mail it back to them for them to fix it, but it'll cost me just as much in shipping as to order a new board, so... Im about to move to FL from NC so I have to wait because I know it wont be here before then..
At least you'll be extending your flying season. Around here we fly FPV from inside our cars in the winter. Otherwise you only get a few months of flying before it's too cold.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:29 PM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Nov 2004
671 Posts
[QUOTE=wingsnapa;21211671]hmm don't know what to say there

Was just looking at the earlier pages on this thread and noticed alot of early adopters seem to be rather quiet these days.

Is there anyone here with an EPP-FPV performing as they want and has a heap of good flights logged? Or are we fighting a loosing battle?[/QUOTE

problem with the plane is that it has as much vertical stab in front of the wing (DUE TO THE HUGE SLAB SIDES) as it has in the rear, which makes it marginally stable in yaw. It also has no vertical fusalage sides aft of the wing, which would help.
I doubled the size of the rudder and tripled the size of the vert stab with foam slabs. I am using a co-pilot stabilization add-on to get away from the "peeling off" during aileron turns as a result of the plane having no dihedral. The plane has no change in yaw at any power setting now with or without the co-pilot. If i could figure out how to add dihedral, the plane would fly ok without the co-pilot. All in all, a terrible design, but it can be fixed to work. I am interested in flying close in and doing a lot of touch and goes, so it is a great plane for non-perfect landings and other noisy events!!!
I had a total control failure at 150 ft up on one flight; the motor shut down and the monster came straight down behind some bushes into a dry lake bed. When i got to it, it was sitting on the wheels, undamaged with the batts about 20 feet away......so it does have some good points!!

pkfoamer is offline Find More Posts by pkfoamer
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:35 PM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Nov 2004
671 Posts
HK FPV EPP fixes!!!

[QUOTE=wingsnapa;21211671]hmm don't know what to say there

Was just looking at the earlier pages on this thread and noticed alot of early adopters seem to be rather quiet these days.

Is there anyone here with an EPP-FPV performing as they want and has a heap of good flights logged? Or are we fighting a loosing battle?[/QUOTE

problem with the plane is that it has as much vertical stab in front of the wing (DUE TO THE HUGE SLAB SIDES) as it has in the rear, which makes it marginally stable in yaw. It also has no vertical fusalage sides aft of the wing, which would help.
I doubled the size of the rudder and tripled the size of the vert stab with foam slabs. I am using a co-pilot stabilization add-on to get away from the "peeling off" during aileron turns as a result of the plane having no dihedral. The plane has no change in yaw at any power setting now with or without the co-pilot. If i could figure out how to add dihedral, the plane would fly ok without the co-pilot. All in all, a terrible design, but it can be fixed to work. I am interested in flying close in and doing a lot of touch and goes, so it is a great plane for non-perfect landings and other noisy events!!!
I had a total control failure at 150 ft up on one flight; the motor shut down and the monster came straight down behind some bushes into a dry lake bed. When i got to it, it was sitting on the wheels, undamaged with the batts about 20 feet away......so it does have some good points!!

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...-IMG_0018.jpg]
pkfoamer is offline Find More Posts by pkfoamer