SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 10, 2012, 05:16 PM
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnapa View Post
If it's that vid where the guy is towing around swifts and streamers, looks like a depron/foam tail to me but could be wrong.
It's a different video. I googled homemade rc planes.
jglover is offline Find More Posts by jglover
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:45 PM
Joined Mar 2010
529 Posts
can anyone give me specs on all the elevator and aileron thows? the throws are nothing compared to my super cub, then again, this isnt an aerobatic plane...
fpvguy is offline Find More Posts by fpvguy
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:25 AM
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvguy View Post
can anyone give me specs on all the elevator and aileron thows? the throws are nothing compared to my super cub, then again, this isnt an aerobatic plane...
Im not sure there are any right or wrong specs. If it were me, Id put it on a CG Machine and turn the motor on enough to get an air flow going over the tail. Manipulate the elevator and see if the plane tips up and down. If it looks like its struggling, then add more throw. Generally there are several holes in the control hornes, unless you used the ones that came with the kit. I bought my own that were better quality and screwed down with some epoxy as well. Adjusting the servo linkage in these holes, will give or take away throw length. Now, unless Im wrong, and if I am, someone please correct me, but like I said, I dont think there is any right or wrong answer. The only difference would be, the more throw, the faster the plane will respond. Too much throw and it may take you for a wild ride. Ive been messing with mine trying to get everything right and is been a trip so far, but Im hanging in there. I too, came from a Super Cub, however the super cub is a totally different beast. I added ailerons to my super cub and the throw on those wasnt that much, but she'd turn on a dime. Just play with it on the CG Machine until you get the response you want from it. Also, if you are using a Futaba, go in the Radio and adjust the End Points for the channel that your elevator is on. It may be set to 100% but it will go to 125%. Also, go ahead and cut the ailerons and the elevator off with an xacto knife and put a plastic hinge, hinge glue or hinge tape on it to make it easier on the servos. If you manipulat the servos and you hear that buzzing sound, its struggling. this will help with that. You can find "how to's" on You Tube, just type in hinge tape or applying hinges to my rc plane or something along those lines.
Last edited by jglover; Apr 11, 2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:24 AM
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglover View Post
Im not sure there are any right or wrong specs. If it were me, Id put it on a CG Machine and turn the motor on enough to get an air flow going over the tail. Manipulate the elevator and see if the plane tips up and down. If it looks like its struggling, then add more throw. Generally there are several holes in the control hornes, unless you used the ones that came with the kit. I bought my own that were better quality and screwed down with some epoxy as well. Adjusting the servo linkage in these holes, will give or take away throw length. Now, unless Im wrong, and if I am, someone please correct me, but like I said, I dont think there is any right or wrong answer. The only difference would be, the more throw, the faster the plane will respond. Too much throw and it may take you for a wild ride. Ive been messing with mine trying to get everything right and is been a trip so far, but Im hanging in there. I too, came from a Super Cub, however the super cub is a totally different beast. I added ailerons to my super cub and the throw on those wasnt that much, but she'd turn on a dime. Just play with it on the CG Machine until you get the response you want from it. Also, if you are using a Futaba, go in the Radio and adjust the End Points for the channel that your elevator is on. It may be set to 100% but it will go to 125%. Also, go ahead and cut the ailerons and the elevator off with an xacto knife and put a plastic hinge, hinge glue or hinge tape on it to make it easier on the servos. If you manipulat the servos and you hear that buzzing sound, its struggling. this will help with that. You can find "how to's" on You Tube, just type in hinge tape or applying hinges to my rc plane or something along those lines.
Mine is set about 2/3 of the way out on both surface and servo horns and is totally fine for all control surfaces. You can adjust servo travel with all decent computer radios, not only Futaba. You will be suprised how little throw you need, especially for the ailerons.

You don't want to set up for max mechanical throw first off as the servo will need to work much harder to move the surface the closer you move the pushrod to the base of control surface horn and to the outside of the servo horn. Not to mention the possibility of one or more servos stalling and pulling huge amps, burning out ur BEC or shutting down/browning out ur RX. Don't go there.

Try undoing a wheelnut with your hands at the base of the wrench...you know how that will end!

Oh and the best way to test control throws is in flight and under no power

Good luck!
wingsnapa is offline Find More Posts by wingsnapa
Last edited by wingsnapa; Apr 11, 2012 at 06:30 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 04:59 PM
Joined Jun 2011
210 Posts
Hi All - I'm putting my EPP together now.. What's the best glue to attach the vertical stabilizer to the elevator?

Thanks,

Steve
http://www.ilovefpv.com
ilovefpv is offline Find More Posts by ilovefpv
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:28 AM
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovefpv View Post
Hi All - I'm putting my EPP together now.. What's the best glue to attach the vertical stabilizer to the elevator?

Thanks,

Steve
http://www.ilovefpv.com
I used 5 min epoxy..I know I know...it can be brittle but the fast cure really helps when aligning things
wingsnapa is offline Find More Posts by wingsnapa
Old Apr 12, 2012, 06:18 AM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined May 2005
1,465 Posts
Regular medium CA worked great for me. After I glued it I put a carbon rod through the vertical stab making sure it also went into the horizontal stab.
3DMON is offline Find More Posts by 3DMON
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:18 AM
Joined Mar 2010
529 Posts
i used gorrilla glue for almost everything, use CA to tack things in place
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:34 PM
Joined Jun 2011
210 Posts
Thanks guys - CA worked good for the carbon rod, but I went with Gorilla glue for the foam on foam connection...
ilovefpv is offline Find More Posts by ilovefpv
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:15 PM
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
So, Im pretty convinced that I am having an issue with either my transmitter or servos. This makes the second time that my plane has flown outstanding and then out of nowhere, gone into a sharp left turn on its own and swirls down to the ground. Once again, I ran out towards the plane trying to get it to respond and NOTHING!! The tail I made from balsa performed flawlessly. I was really happy about that. The plane flew 10 times better than with the t-tail mod I did and glided like a champ. Then the inevitable, somethings gotta go wrong.. problem is, I get it back and hook it all back up and everything is responding just fine.. I cant figure it out..
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:31 PM
Joined Mar 2010
529 Posts
Are you range testing before u fly? I was having a very scary flight and once I landed, I range checked and found that I didn't even have half of the range to pass my rang test. The powerlines I was flying next to ruin my 2.4ghz frsky's range
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:33 PM
Joined Mar 2010
529 Posts
Make sure u range test where you will be flying. I have over 300ft of range when I rake tested in one place and I had about 30 where I was Actualy flying my plane, near the powerlines
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:44 PM
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
I was in the middle of no where and flew for about 10 minutes with no problems. Put her back up and all of a sudden..
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:45 PM
Joined Mar 2010
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglover View Post
I was in the middle of no where and flew for about 10 minutes with no problems. Put her back up and all of a sudden..
do a check anyways, your most likely right though...
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:45 PM
Joined Mar 2010
529 Posts
are your servos stalling?