HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 07, 2012, 12:38 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnapa View Post
You sure the plane is all trimmed out and flying well?? You might wanna put a few more flights on stumpy b4 you go FPV. But I know what it's like....you just wanna get things happenin'
Oh Im doing a few flights before everything gets mounted.. Ive had an issue with two cameras so far not working. Got the third and finally it works. Yeah, Im planning on getting comfortable with the plane before I go FPV. I did think about putting the gear up there and flying LOS to have the weight ratio there. I know she'll fly different with different weight right?
jglover is offline Find More Posts by jglover
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2012, 04:40 PM
Registered User
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglover View Post
Oh Im doing a few flights before everything gets mounted.. Ive had an issue with two cameras so far not working. Got the third and finally it works. Yeah, Im planning on getting comfortable with the plane before I go FPV. I did think about putting the gear up there and flying LOS to have the weight ratio there. I know she'll fly different with different weight right?
Depends if the CG is affected. If not, then it shouldn't make much difference. I just used a few sinkers to simulate the radio gear weight at first. Then i flew with the gear in it but switched off. Finally I switched the gear on and ranged checked everything from scratch because a badly mounted vid tx can ruin your range. I flew a few flights LOS but recorded the vid on the base station to check static etc.
wingsnapa is offline Find More Posts by wingsnapa
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 08, 2012, 08:51 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
Well, I hate to say it, but I do believe today was the end of the FPV for a little bit... It wasn't the best start, and it just went down hill. I could probably repair it, but its got enough Epoxy already. She was just so unstable. Id move things around and it'd fly great then go to crap during flight. Everything inside was velcro'd down, so it wasn't shifting. Id have it flying and gliding, bring it in, and go back up and it was like it'd be a totally different beast. I think Im just going to try the new Skywalker 1900mm Plane. In the last video, towards the end, you see it start circling. Thats when I lost control. I ran half way across that field with the Radio held up in the air trying to get it to regain control, but it never did. The fuzzy was contact with a tree. Needless to say, Ive got a broken tail, and broken nose of the Fuselage. All the electronics are ok, but overall, Im not too happy with this plane. Granted, this was the first plane of this size I've flown. The last plane I had was a Super Cub and it handled like a dream. This thing was all over the place, as you can see in the video. Maybe I didnt set it up right, but the CG was checked every time before I took her out. Never moved anything after I set the CG. Id get her flying, see that it was tail heavy or nose heavy and bring her in, make a few adjustments and go back up until she glided. Id mark where the batter was inside the fuselage and take her home. Come back the next day and put everything back exactly like it was the day before and it be a rodeo all over again. Did this for several days. Anyways, heres the videos that I recorded. In the first, I was bringing her in for a minor adjustment and flew her almost right into me lol.. the second is the loss of control and crash on the third flight. By the way, has anone actually made their own plane for FPV out of like Balsa. Im thinking of gong and buying some Balsa and scratch building a junk box plane and putting the this wing on it. I had seen one on youtube where it looked like someone glued together four pieces of balsa wood and strapped a wing and motor on it and it flew pretty good. Comments are welcome

First Recorded Flight testing FPV Gear with HK EPP FPV (2 min 28 sec)
(First Flight with FPV Gear)

The last flight (4 min 19 sec)
(The last flight and crash)
jglover is offline Find More Posts by jglover
Last edited by jglover; Apr 08, 2012 at 09:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 08, 2012, 10:32 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
You know what.. I change my mind.. Balsa Tail! here I come. If the guy on youtube can do it, so can I
jglover is offline Find More Posts by jglover
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 08, 2012, 11:41 PM
Registered User
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglover View Post
You know what.. I change my mind.. Balsa Tail! here I come. If the guy on youtube can do it, so can I
Man it looks to me you have some serious issues with your power system.

In your first vid, the system is showing amps of 2.4 then to 4.8 and a bunch of figures in between. This is before you even run the motor up!

With motor off and servos at idle, my system draws 0.3amps and never more than 1amp with all the servos moving at once. Even if you add a video load to to it, it would be almost no different. It looks like some or all of your servos are binding or stalling, this can rob power from the rest of your controls making the plane unflyable and could also shut down ur reciever. The possible problems are endless.

The stock control surfaces are waaay too stiff for a 9gram servo to move easily. I actually cut through all of my surfaces with a hobby knife along the bend line and re-joined them with the hot-glue hinge method, about inch wide, every 4 inches or so.

Give the servos as little work to do as possible. If they struggle on the ground, imagine how hard the are working when trying to deflect airlflow.
wingsnapa is offline Find More Posts by wingsnapa
Last edited by wingsnapa; Apr 08, 2012 at 11:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 08, 2012, 11:55 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnapa View Post
Man it looks to me you have some serious issues with your power system.

In your first vid, the system is showing amps of 2.4 then to 4.8 and a bunch of figures in between. This is before you even run the motor up!

With motor off and servos at idle, my system draws 0.3amps and never more than 1amp with all the servos moving at once. Even if you add a video load to to it, it would be almost no different. It looks like some or all of your servos are binding or stalling, this can rob power from the rest of your controls making the plane unflyable and could also shut down ur reciever. The possible problems are endless.

The stock control surfaces are waaay too stiff for a 9gram servo to move easily. I actually cut through all of my surfaces with a hobby knife along the bend line and re-joined them with the hot-glue hinge method, about inch wide, every 4 inches or so.

Give the servos as little work to do as possible. If they struggle on the ground, imagine how hard the are working when trying to deflect airlflow.
I guess while Im at it, Ill cut the ailerons off and put hinge tape on them.. I even though about just making it a three channel plane with this tail...???
jglover is offline Find More Posts by jglover
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 09, 2012, 02:25 AM
Registered User
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglover View Post
I guess while Im at it, Ill cut the ailerons off and put hinge tape on them.. I even though about just making it a three channel plane with this tail...???
As long as it doesn't come off in flight!

Are you saying this is your second plane after the Super Cub? This would not be my pick for a second or third build or easy build FPV plane. I chose this plane, knowing it had some build and design flaws and thought of it as a bit of a challenge. But I've been building and flying planes and helis for over 10 years now with many expensive lessons learned, so thought I could handle it.

The Super Cub has dihedral and that's why it handles well (fly's itself) and can self stabilize without much input from the pilot. You would be better converting the cub to an FPV ship.

A bigger plane is not harder to fly or build, in fact the opposite is true. They handle wind and weight alot better ad are easier to work on. They only cost more.

I think with any plane crash, you need to work out what went wrong so you don't have this situation again. For all we know, your problems could have been caused by just one faulty or stalled servo.

After doing this build (even though it is an ARF) the amount of work involved to get it to a good, stable FPV ship is quite involved. Getting it to fly is not a problem...but getting it to fly well has required a lot of major changes.

It has a big PITA factor!

And I would never use full balsa construction for FPV planes, unless you know you aint gonna crash.
wingsnapa is offline Find More Posts by wingsnapa
Last edited by wingsnapa; Apr 09, 2012 at 02:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 09, 2012, 10:19 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2010
529 Posts
/how much elevator throw should i have? i can only manage to get about an inch up/down.... where are you guys running COG?
fpvguy is offline Find More Posts by fpvguy
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 09, 2012, 11:18 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnapa View Post
As long as it doesn't come off in flight!

Are you saying this is your second plane after the Super Cub? This would not be my pick for a second or third build or easy build FPV plane. I chose this plane, knowing it had some build and design flaws and thought of it as a bit of a challenge. But I've been building and flying planes and helis for over 10 years now with many expensive lessons learned, so thought I could handle it.

The Super Cub has dihedral and that's why it handles well (fly's itself) and can self stabilize without much input from the pilot. You would be better converting the cub to an FPV ship.

A bigger plane is not harder to fly or build, in fact the opposite is true. They handle wind and weight alot better ad are easier to work on. They only cost more.

I think with any plane crash, you need to work out what went wrong so you don't have this situation again. For all we know, your problems could have been caused by just one faulty or stalled servo.

After doing this build (even though it is an ARF) the amount of work involved to get it to a good, stable FPV ship is quite involved. Getting it to fly is not a problem...but getting it to fly well has required a lot of major changes.

It has a big PITA factor!

And I would never use full balsa construction for FPV planes, unless you know you aint gonna crash.
This is actually the first plane after the Super Cub. I am a beginner, however I consider myself to catch on pretty quick, or just plain dumb for trying.. lol Im pretty determined to make this work. I've got the tail back on, but its the original design, not the t-tail and its made out of balsa wood. It definately doesnt look like it belongs on the plane, but as long as it works, Im not complaining. Hopefully Ill have everything back up and ready to go over the next couple days. As far as the hinge tape, well, I kind of went with the 100mph tape with super glue backing. I dont think its going anywhere in flight. If all else fails, I picked up enough "bass" wood today to build a home made box plane. Still light, but stronger than balsa. Anyways, Ill keep you posted.

FPVGUY: I had the same problem with my elevator and ailerons as well. Wingsnap stated that he cut is off and re attached them with hinge glue to make it easier on the servo to push/pull without working the servo too hard. I think that may have been a contributing factor in the performace of my plane.
jglover is offline Find More Posts by jglover
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:40 AM
Registered User
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
Kinda shows you what Im working with...
jglover is offline Find More Posts by jglover
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:02 AM
Registered User
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvguy View Post
/how much elevator throw should i have? i can only manage to get about an inch up/down.... where are you guys running COG?
One inch up and one inch down is plenty of throw.

The hinge method I'm talking about is the 'hot glue hinge' method used by superfly and other EPP plane owners. There should be plenty of how to's on RCG.

It can only be done with EPP and invovles aligning the two surfaces together, squeezing out about a peas worth of got glue in the one spot. Then before it cools, use any kind of spatula object to spread it along the join line, thereby creating a connection with hot glue.
wingsnapa is offline Find More Posts by wingsnapa
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:15 AM
Registered User
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglover View Post
This is actually the first plane after the Super Cub. I am a beginner, however I consider myself to catch on pretty quick, or just plain dumb for trying.. lol Im pretty determined to make this work. I've got the tail back on, but its the original design, not the t-tail and its made out of balsa wood. It definately doesnt look like it belongs on the plane, but as long as it works, Im not complaining. Hopefully Ill have everything back up and ready to go over the next couple days. As far as the hinge tape, well, I kind of went with the 100mph tape with super glue backing. I dont think its going anywhere in flight. If all else fails, I picked up enough "bass" wood today to build a home made box plane. Still light, but stronger than balsa. Anyways, Ill keep you posted.
I would be very careful with a hinge method like that. I've never done it so I don't know.

Does that balsa tail have an airfoil or is it just flat? I wouldn't be flying it myself, but it's up to you man.

It could also be the best flying FPV plane ever built too!!

Flying a plane with ailerons is completely different to the ol Supercub. If you had never flown an aileron plane before, you should have put about 20 flights on her just to get a feel for it before even thinking of FPV.

People can go at this hobby as hard as they want, but I've seen of those same people give up on it because they have taken on too much too soon.
wingsnapa is offline Find More Posts by wingsnapa
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:12 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2010
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglover View Post
This is actually the first plane after the Super Cub. I am a beginner, however I consider myself to catch on pretty quick, or just plain dumb for trying.. lol Im pretty determined to make this work. I've got the tail back on, but its the original design, not the t-tail and its made out of balsa wood. It definately doesnt look like it belongs on the plane, but as long as it works, Im not complaining. Hopefully Ill have everything back up and ready to go over the next couple days. As far as the hinge tape, well, I kind of went with the 100mph tape with super glue backing. I dont think its going anywhere in flight. If all else fails, I picked up enough "bass" wood today to build a home made box plane. Still light, but stronger than balsa. Anyways, Ill keep you posted.

FPVGUY: I had the same problem with my elevator and ailerons as well. Wingsnap stated that he cut is off and re attached them with hinge glue to make it easier on the servo to push/pull without working the servo too hard. I think that may have been a contributing factor in the performace of my plane.
how much throw do i need? looking at the tail now, i don't thinks its an inch, maybe a half inch at most up/down. the hinge isn't causing excess stress on my servos. i may need to do the tape mod to the ailerons tho...
fpvguy is offline Find More Posts by fpvguy
Last edited by fpvguy; Apr 10, 2012 at 01:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:36 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnapa View Post
I would be very careful with a hinge method like that. I've never done it so I don't know.

Does that balsa tail have an airfoil or is it just flat? I wouldn't be flying it myself, but it's up to you man.

It could also be the best flying FPV plane ever built too!!

Flying a plane with ailerons is completely different to the ol Supercub. If you had never flown an aileron plane before, you should have put about 20 flights on her just to get a feel for it before even thinking of FPV.

People can go at this hobby as hard as they want, but I've seen of those same people give up on it because they have taken on too much too soon.
I actually put ailerons on the supercub and had them on a Cessna 182. The only thing that's different about this plane from what I havent experienced is it's size. The tail is flat for the most part, but the guy in the YouTube video had a flat tail as well and it flew pretty good, so we'll see. My luck, it'll fly like a dream and blow up in flight lol
jglover is offline Find More Posts by jglover
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 04:36 PM
Registered User
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglover View Post
I actually put ailerons on the supercub and had them on a Cessna 182. The only thing that's different about this plane from what I havent experienced is it's size. The tail is flat for the most part, but the guy in the YouTube video had a flat tail as well and it flew pretty good, so we'll see. My luck, it'll fly like a dream and blow up in flight lol
If it's that vid where the guy is towing around swifts and streamers, looks like a depron/foam tail to me but could be wrong.
wingsnapa is offline Find More Posts by wingsnapa
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! how to fix this hobby king plane gazza2003au Australia 29 Mar 16, 2011 12:16 AM
Discussion Hobby King New FPV plane bignose13 FPV Aircraft 141 Nov 24, 2010 02:04 AM
Discussion New EPP FPV plane catamar FPV Aircraft 9 Oct 12, 2010 06:29 PM
Discussion Hobby King FPV help! Polarity for RX? Rooster433 FPV Talk 6 Oct 10, 2010 08:24 PM
Discussion Hobby King Christen Eagle Aerobatic Micro plane EPP Kit w/ Motor & ESC TopFoam Micro Ready-to-Fly 3 Apr 18, 2010 07:00 PM