HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:05 PM
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliander View Post
Over here.. Have only good flights logged. Crashed only once into a tree (My bad, whole day of class and proximity flying is no good).

However, we shortened the tailboom a little. It was really tailheavy when stock.

The only real problem is my radio setup. The rx and tx are to close to each other (being 20cm apart in the fuse). I am thinking to move the video tx to the wing. Anyone tried this?
How much did you shorten the tail boom? Mine broke off at 6 9/16ths inches from the foward part of the boom. Do you think its possible to take the remaining boom and put back into the fuselage and try it that way?
jglover is offline Find More Posts by jglover
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:18 PM
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
Its a rough estimate, but it looks like I just might be back in business 6 9/16ths inches shorter. Who knows, this may help with the tail drag Gotta love epoxy
Old Apr 03, 2012, 11:46 AM
Nederland, LI, Herkenbosch
Joined Jul 2011
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglover View Post
How much did you shorten the tail boom? Mine broke off at 6 9/16ths inches from the foward part of the boom. Do you think its possible to take the remaining boom and put back into the fuselage and try it that way?
About 6 inches I think. We did not shorten it in a way to cut it off. Whe used an old water pipe and made some sawtooths on one end ad drilled the hole in the plane a little deeper. The CG is waay better now (it's actually a little nose heavy with a 4000 pack).
Aliander is offline Find More Posts by Aliander
Old Apr 03, 2012, 11:54 AM
Joined Dec 2009
196 Posts
Quote:
Its a rough estimate, but it looks like I just might be back in business 6 9/16ths inches shorter. Who knows, this may help with the tail drag Gotta love epoxy
This is exactly why I now never make my planes 'look good'

Especially for FPV where you never see your paint job anyway!

I decided after a similar event, any effort to do a good paint job is wasted because sooner or later it will crash! Something always seems to fail in FPV!
hazchem88 is offline Find More Posts by hazchem88
Old Apr 03, 2012, 02:00 PM
Joined Nov 2011
216 Posts
hi ,my package is there ,after going through the thread ,im gonna wait till summer vacation to start working on it , like to see what mods are done in the mean time ,or convert it inyo somthing else like pardus did

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1402

meantime enjoying my heli and EZ I
RC Novice is offline Find More Posts by RC Novice
Old Apr 03, 2012, 03:16 PM
Mexico, JAL, Guadalajara
Joined Nov 2010
106 Posts
Hi there.
i have more than 50 flights, with only 2 hard crashes in my plane. 1-when i was learning to land in fpv. 2-when i was experimenting with different batteries and i try a 4cell w/o change the propeller, the result is that i burn the motor.
ones you are familiar with the way it flies you can have good fpv times.
jfcomg is offline Find More Posts by jfcomg
Old Apr 03, 2012, 04:04 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,837 Posts
Quote:
I must say I love look of the shorter tail and the military color scheme. I really dislike how my all original EPPFPV flies, and will be looking forward to your research.
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Apr 03, 2012, 11:00 PM
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
I forgot to mention I shortened mine by about 4 or 5 inches right off the bat also. It just looked waaay too sloppy in stock config. Hold the main fuse down and move the tail boom up and down from the end..the whole rear of the fuse flexes like rubber with little effort. Imagine what it must be doing in flight? Hitting up elevator in a hard dive would just bend the foam and not change the planes angle of attack...no wonder I couldnt pull out. I also noticed on cold days I would trim the elevator one direction and on warm days trim the other. It all makes more sense to me now.

I have recently added a CF spar running from directly under the motor mount straight down to the point where the tail enters the fuse. Very rigid now and much more responsive in flight.

This is a major weak point in terms of structure and basic flight worthiness in my view.
wingsnapa is offline Find More Posts by wingsnapa
Last edited by wingsnapa; Apr 03, 2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 05:46 AM
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Re-maiden

Well three more flights today and the last was the longest at almost 20mins on 2600mah used on a 4400 3s. I was easily maintaining altitude at 7.5 amps/50-70 watts. Seems very stable now with all the modifications. Flew straight and level for about a minute hands off. Very happy with the results.

I went through a drag reduction exercise by gently sanding all the wing and tail surfaces. You really feel the difference after only a few light rubs of fine grade sandpaper. Quite happily making headway in a 15 knot headwind today.

Mods done to date....

-Diherdral & wing joiner strengthening with alum U channel.
-T-tail
-paint & light sanding after
-Shortened tail boom 5 inches
-independent flaps/ailerons
-under motor mount to tail mount strengthening spar
-CF rod in all control surfaces end to end
-HV Ubec, metal servos all round and 60Amp esc
-hot glue hinges on all surfaces, (thanks to my superfly days..never broke!)
Old Apr 05, 2012, 09:34 AM
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnapa View Post
Well three more flights today and the last was the longest at almost 20mins on 2600mah used on a 4400 3s. I was easily maintaining altitude at 7.5 amps/50-70 watts. Seems very stable now with all the modifications. Flew straight and level for about a minute hands off. Very happy with the results.

I went through a drag reduction exercise by gently sanding all the wing and tail surfaces. You really feel the difference after only a few light rubs of fine grade sandpaper. Quite happily making headway in a 15 knot headwind today.

Mods done to date....

-Diherdral & wing joiner strengthening with alum U channel.
-T-tail
-paint & light sanding after
-Shortened tail boom 5 inches
-independent flaps/ailerons
-under motor mount to tail mount strengthening spar
-CF rod in all control surfaces end to end
-HV Ubec, metal servos all round and 60Amp esc
-hot glue hinges on all surfaces, (thanks to my superfly days..never broke!)
Ive got mine back together. Hopefully gonna get her back in the air this afternoon.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:22 PM
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
Now we're getting somewhere. Got her in the air today.. Had to fight the wind a little, but she glides pretty good now and is alot more stable. I think I need to add a little more movement on the ailerons though.. she was kind of slugish starting her turns. I dont know if it was the wind though. It was blowing a good 7-10 mph and changing directions about every 30 seconds. Im getting there lol Oh, and I got my camera in today. Can anyone take a picture of the camera itself wired to an osd and transmitter or straight to a battery so I know I wont fry this one?
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:24 PM
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazchem88 View Post
This is exactly why I now never make my planes 'look good'

Especially for FPV where you never see your paint job anyway!

I decided after a similar event, any effort to do a good paint job is wasted because sooner or later it will crash! Something always seems to fail in FPV!
Im considering a name change for my bird.. possibly "Crash" haha
Old Apr 06, 2012, 01:10 AM
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Now we're getting somewhere. Got her in the air today.. Had to fight the wind a little, but she glides pretty good now and is alot more stable. I think I need to add a little more movement on the ailerons though.. she was kind of slugish starting her turns. I dont know if it was the wind though. It was blowing a good 7-10 mph and changing directions about every 30 seconds. Im getting there lol Oh, and I got my camera in today. Can anyone take a picture of the camera itself wired to an osd and transmitter or straight to a battery so I know I wont fry this one?
Good to hear it all went well. That shorter tail must sharpen up the control inputs a fair bit.

Every OSD has a different wiring method. I've done two now and they are both very different. HK OSD just piggy-backed the TX signal whereas the Eagletree passes the video through it. The manual in both cases showed me exactly how to do it. Lay it all out on the bench and if it helps, draw a wiring diagram before you break out the soldering iron
Old Apr 07, 2012, 02:01 AM
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnapa View Post
Good to hear it all went well. That shorter tail must sharpen up the control inputs a fair bit.

Every OSD has a different wiring method. I've done two now and they are both very different. HK OSD just piggy-backed the TX signal whereas the Eagletree passes the video through it. The manual in both cases showed me exactly how to do it. Lay it all out on the bench and if it helps, draw a wiring diagram before you break out the soldering iron
We're all good now. Got the camera up and running, but Id still like to get my freaking USB cable in the mail so I can change the OSD Display to the F16 mode. Got the HK Tiny OSD, but found the original maker and ordered the USB for it Got the batteries on the charger and hopefully the wind will die down and I can finally get the birds eye from this bad boy.
Old Apr 07, 2012, 02:51 AM
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
We're all good now. Got the camera up and running, but Id still like to get my freaking USB cable in the mail so I can change the OSD Display to the F16 mode. Got the HK Tiny OSD, but found the original maker and ordered the USB for it Got the batteries on the charger and hopefully the wind will die down and I can finally get the birds eye from this bad boy.
You sure the plane is all trimmed out and flying well?? You might wanna put a few more flights on stumpy b4 you go FPV. But I know what it's like....you just wanna get things happenin'