Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 31, 2012, 05:10 PM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglover View Post
ALLLL SMILES NOW! IT FLIES!!! Added 50% rudder with the ailerons and turns pretty good. May bump the rudder mix up about 15% more. Its gonna take some getting use to; thats for sure. Shes got to scoot to stay up though. My only gripe is that she's coming in way too hot on the landings. Had a couple hard landings, but she stayed upright and on the tires. It was kind of butt clinching though. Anyways, the plan now is to put flaps on it to hopefully slow her down on the landings. Would this be another stab to add, or can I somehow mix the existing ailerons to both go down at the flip of a switch? or would this be a bad idea?
If you're using separate channels for you ailerons, then you can program them to be flaperons. If you use one channel and a Y cable then it won't work.

Mine lands about 30-35km/h, which is pretty fairly slow. My TBRC wing lands about 50km/h. Any idea how fast yours is landing?
Tracks is offline Find More Posts by Tracks
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2012, 07:18 PM
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
I don't know how fast she getting it when shes landing, but it's too fast for my liking. I'm runnIng ailerons on a y cable. I'll have to look into putting them on seperate channels.
jglover is offline Find More Posts by jglover
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:43 PM
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
I don't know how fast she getting it when shes landing, but it's too fast for my liking. I'm runnIng ailerons on a y cable. I'll have to look into putting them on seperate channels.
Mine will also stay up at 30kph or less. I'm actually suprised by how slow she can go for a 1.9kg bird.

Does the evevator need to be up from neutral to keep her level in flight? If so, you may want to consider lifting the leading edge by a few mm and see how you go. Mine was quite fast too at first but shimming the leading edge slowed her right down.
wingsnapa is offline Find More Posts by wingsnapa
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:51 PM
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
[QUOTE=jglover;21197961 Would this be another stab to add, or can I somehow mix the existing ailerons to both go down at the flip of a switch? or would this be a bad idea?[/QUOTE]

I reckon those control surfaces are too wide for the servo horn to move them at the stock attachment point. I just put a cut through mine at about 2/3 of the way out and turned the last third into ailerons.

I tried the flaperon thing too and it worked well but I would think you need two good stronger re-positioned right in the centre of the control surface for best results.

I went with the 'add two more micro servos' option because. 1. I had em and 2. If I lost one in flight I wouldn't be too worried.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 02:47 PM
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
Ok, so somethings got to give here.. Went and flew her again today and she was up down up down. Like it was tail heavy, then nose heavy then tail heavy then nose heavy. Tried to bring it in for a landing and it was a hard hit. Lost the landing gear again. I just repaired the fuselage, but opted to keep the landing gear off. I tried my best to keep her level, but it just wouldnt happen. I noticed my motor cut out once as well. Its back to the drawing board I guess. The thing that kills me is that I put it on the CG Macine at 100 mm. Yesterday I had it set at 90mm and she was acting slightly tail heavy.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 03:55 PM
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Ok, so somethings got to give here.. Went and flew her again today and she was up down up down. Like it was tail heavy, then nose heavy then tail heavy then nose heavy. Tried to bring it in for a landing and it was a hard hit. Lost the landing gear again. I just repaired the fuselage, but opted to keep the landing gear off. I tried my best to keep her level, but it just wouldnt happen. I noticed my motor cut out once as well. Its back to the drawing board I guess. The thing that kills me is that I put it on the CG Macine at 100 mm. Yesterday I had it set at 90mm and she was acting slightly tail heavy.
So you are saying you moved the CG BACK 10mm after she flew tail heavy at 90mm??

I would think you needed to go to 85mm or more nose heavy but I think this isn't the only issue here.

Sounds like datum line to me. Check the wing and tail plane have the same incidence, they need to be more or less the same. You don't want one fighting the other for airflow. You should be able to eyeball the horizontal stab side on to see if she is parallel to the fuse and at the same incidence as the wing. If not shim the wing to match the tail. 2mm can make night and day difference.

I actually took my wings off, centered my elevator and held her out the window of my car at about 35 kph (quiet country road) as I didn't have a wind tunnel handy.

If I tired to hold the fuse parallel to the ground (simulating level flight) she was fighting me and wanting to pitch down. This meant the front of the horizontal stab was higher at the front than at the back (with elevator neutral) so I shimmed the wing at the front to match that incidence, as I was in no mood to tear apart my t-tail.

I was confident that when I threw her into the air the first time she would at least be trimmed within the limits of my servos, (which she was) but was still a way off from perfect.

The stock bird seems to need shimming at the rear of the wing which would suggest a horizontal stab pitching down at the leading edge.

Ideally they would both be dead level, but this isn't a perfect world. Good luck and check for stripped servos too!
Old Apr 01, 2012, 06:31 PM
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
Well, I finally got her to fly and ALOT better than she has been. Heres the video footage. Its sideways, but its what I got.

Finally! Shes flying (1 min 34 sec)

Then, there was this during the next flight

The wreckage of my EPP FPV (0 min 55 sec)
Old Apr 01, 2012, 07:11 PM
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
Soooo, does anyone have an EPP FPV they wanna sale? Im not trying to pay just as much in shipping as Im paying for the plane. Preferrably anyone stateside. Just the plane, no electonics. Ive got all that. Im gonna try and salvage the one Ive got using pvc for the boom and balsa for the tail.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 03:51 AM
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
hmm don't know what to say there

Was just looking at the earlier pages on this thread and noticed alot of early adopters seem to be rather quiet these days.

Is there anyone here with an EPP-FPV performing as they want and has a heap of good flights logged? Or are we fighting a loosing battle?
Old Apr 02, 2012, 06:13 AM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnapa View Post

Was just looking at the earlier pages on this thread and noticed alot of early adopters seem to be rather quiet these days.

Is there anyone here with an EPP-FPV performing as they want and has a heap of good flights logged? Or are we fighting a loosing battle?
I used the stock build with a Turnigy 3536-1400kv motor, 5000mah 3S battery and a plush 70A esc (55 got too hot in the compartment).

Other than needing to mix aileron and rudder for turns (I like to do it manually, not in the transmitter) I've never had any issues. My crashes have all been pilot error.

Lately I've been flying wings because I wanted more speed, more distance and less setup time at the field. But my EPP FPV is ready to go any time I want a nice leisurely flight (in a bus!)

It's been out as far as 5km and up as high as 1km.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:03 AM
Joined Mar 2010
525 Posts
i just built a removable regular tail. ill be sure to post pics up ones its all tested and proven. i decided to fly the plane with the normal tail and then decide if im going to do a T-tail conversion. right now, i think the regular tail will be fine...
fpvguy is offline Find More Posts by fpvguy
Last edited by fpvguy; Apr 02, 2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:33 AM
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
I saw the new skywalker 1900mm... hmmm
Old Apr 02, 2012, 09:21 AM
Nederland, LI, Herkenbosch
Joined Jul 2011
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnapa View Post

Over here.. Have only good flights logged. Crashed only once into a tree (My bad, whole day of class and proximity flying is no good).

However, we shortened the tailboom a little. It was really tailheavy when stock.

The only real problem is my radio setup. The rx and tx are to close to each other (being 20cm apart in the fuse). I am thinking to move the video tx to the wing. Anyone tried this?
Aliander is offline Find More Posts by Aliander
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:43 AM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliander View Post
Over here.. Have only good flights logged. Crashed only once into a tree (My bad, whole day of class and proximity flying is no good).

However, we shortened the tailboom a little. It was really tailheavy when stock.

The only real problem is my radio setup. The rx and tx are to close to each other (being 20cm apart in the fuse). I am thinking to move the video tx to the wing. Anyone tried this?
I have my DragonLink receiver antenna out on the wing. Same idea. Works great. It's out there about 18 inches.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 02:55 PM
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
I have my DragonLink receiver antenna out on the wing. Same idea. Works great. It's out there about 18 inches.
Could I see a pic of that if possible? Cheers