SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 28, 2010, 09:12 AM
Plane and multirotor's - FPV
Moss, Norway
Joined Jun 2007
855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark hitchman View Post
Hi Guys, this is the maiden flight, few things to sort out but it flew ok.

Using a 5000 mah battery, sk3536 1400kv motor with a 10X5 prop, frsky 7 channel receiver with ppm out and a DOSD+ V1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIplWmm5Bwg

Mark
In the video during takeoff he peaked at 42.8A at 11.6V = 496Watt
It looked fast
Congrats !!

Kai
DrEvil is offline Find More Posts by DrEvil
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:29 AM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEvil View Post
In the video during takeoff he peaked at 42.8A at 11.6V = 496Watt
It looked fast
Congrats !!

Kai
yep ...... looked a lot safer climbing out over the trees than my 270 Watts ....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Nov 28, 2010, 11:15 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2009
1,329 Posts
Here is one unedited video of the best flight from my first two days with this plane (watch it in HD for full detail including the jello effect)

Hobbyking FPV EPP 1 (3 min 55 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
a plane that needs a lot of power to climb or even stay level is either really horribly draggy or more likely is actually nose heavy.Re-check your CG, and try moving it back.
I set the CG at 45mm as stated in the manual, but you may be right on this, now that I think about it. I will be flying today again and will try moving the CG back a bit. I will report back...

Someone asked how the camera is mounted - here is a picture.
I put a thin flat layer of epoxy along the top surface of the canopy, let it cure, and then stuck one of the standard HD Hero self adhesive mounts to it. I have used this method before and it is strong as hell. The rest is making sure the canopy itself doesn't fall off, which is very likely if you don't reinforce it, as the included magnets are just not enough. I add a velcro loop and a rope going through the canopy and looping across a notch underneath the fuselage. See the picture.
tmsn is offline Find More Posts by tmsn
Old Nov 28, 2010, 11:41 AM
Belgium
Joined Jun 2009
81 Posts
Thanks for the pics and video, tmsn.

Oh you're from San Francisco, just got back from there, you could have shown me the flight live
tumtum is offline Find More Posts by tumtum
Last edited by tumtum; Nov 28, 2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 12:24 PM
Registered Loser :)
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie14 View Post
Well done ......

you have 50% more power used on take-off than my setup (from the recording data) .... I have a couple of different motors on order with an almost identical spec to the SK35-36 1400Kv so I hope it solves my power problem ..... are you happy with the power you have? .....

looking forward to seeing your AUW ..... how much does that lipo weigh and how far from the inside of nose is it located? ....

can you record sound? ...... on checkout flights sound is great to have available (to us ) ......
I have tons of power but I need to calibrate current sensor, battery took 2330ma when I charged it, the osd said i had used 3364ma, this motor is not what I was going to put in, the one I ordered has not arrived yet. This is it http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14847 Not sure if I will end up using it or not, probably will.

The battery is this one http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8579 It is hard up the front, even removed a bit of foam where it curves up to get it as far forward as I can.
Sound not hooked up yet, I basically threw everything in it to see how it flew, will have to install everything properly when I sort out c of g.

Mark
mark hitchman is offline Find More Posts by mark hitchman
Old Nov 28, 2010, 02:32 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark hitchman View Post
I have tons of power but I need to calibrate current sensor, battery took 2330ma when I charged it, the osd said i had used 3364ma, this motor is not what I was going to put in, the one I ordered has not arrived yet. This is it http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14847 Not sure if I will end up using it or not, probably will.

The battery is this one http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8579 It is hard up the front, even removed a bit of foam where it curves up to get it as far forward as I can.
Sound not hooked up yet, I basically threw everything in it to see how it flew, will have to install everything properly when I sort out c of g.

Mark
Many thanks for the info .....

I'm convinced I need to up my power to 400 Watts so looking forward to seeing how I get on with that level ..... new motor options in transit .... I wonder if you might prop your existing motor down a bit? ..... keep us up todate on your motor trials ....

I have 6 pcs of 3000 mAh lipos (236g) and a couple of 3300 (275g) from previous projects so I really need to make use of them but I do begrudge having to add nose ballast to get C of G ..... I'll try and get them a bit further forward and see if I can get rid of the ballast ..... your lipo at 358g for 5000 mAh is pretty good value, weight and price wise .....

Try and get us some sound when you can .....

cheers .......
Old Nov 28, 2010, 03:08 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsn View Post
Here is one unedited video of the best flight from my first two days with this plane (watch it in HD for full detail including the jello effect)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VieoMwKw8c

I set the CG at 45mm as stated in the manual, but you may be right on this, now that I think about it. I will be flying today again and will try moving the CG back a bit. I will report back...

Someone asked how the camera is mounted - here is a picture.
I put a thin flat layer of epoxy along the top surface of the canopy, let it cure, and then stuck one of the standard HD Hero self adhesive mounts to it. I have used this method before and it is strong as hell. The rest is making sure the canopy itself doesn't fall off, which is very likely if you don't reinforce it, as the included magnets are just not enough. I add a velcro loop and a rope going through the canopy and looping across a notch underneath the fuselage. See the picture.
thanks for the great video ..... I share your views on the Canopy attachment ..... I'm using some strong wing rubber bands on mine ....

Build instructions give two conflicting C of G numbers ..... 45 - 55mm and 100 - 120 mm ....... versus a wing chord of something like 300mm ..... I set mine at 100mm (ish) .......

That power level seems perfect to me for safe climb outs ..... one day soon for me once I get a new motor .....

I wish you guys would leave the music player alone ..... at least for the first check out flights .... when you've been flying an underpowered motor like me the sound of a decent motor would be music to my ears ....
(I could just about hear the take-off)
Old Nov 28, 2010, 08:00 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2009
1,329 Posts
Thanks hobie!

I moved the CG back to around 100mm today and the difference was night and day. The plane floated up, stayed high at 40-50% throttle, and gently glided down when I accidentally lost the motor at the highest point of the flight :P

Very happy with it now.

BTW, I put music on the video because you can't really hear the motor properly anyway, all you can hear is a sustained, distorted buzzing sound that doesn't tell you much about what the motor is doing other than the extremes of on and off.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 08:18 PM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie14 View Post
I have 6 pcs of 3000 mAh lipos (236g) and a couple of 3300 (275g) from previous projects so I really need to make use of them but I do begrudge having to add nose ballast to get C of G
How about using a parallel adapter to link up 2 of your 3000s?
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=10265
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
Old Nov 28, 2010, 09:10 PM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Looks like a bigger version of this.

http://www.jethobby.com.sg/cgi-bin/e...46&idx=1&gid=1
etman is offline Find More Posts by etman
Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:18 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsn View Post
Thanks hobie!
I moved the CG back to around 100mm today and the difference was night and day.
Told ya.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:45 PM
Registered Loser :)
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,928 Posts
Quote:
Told ya.

ian
Yeah, but you told me I was dreaming thinking it would fly at 7 amp/hr

Mark
mark hitchman is offline Find More Posts by mark hitchman
Old Nov 29, 2010, 12:01 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2009
1,329 Posts
Quote:
Told ya.

ian
Yep, you were 100% correct, thanks for pointing it out!
Old Nov 30, 2010, 01:10 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,515 Posts
when is HobbyKing going to have this plane back in Stock?
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Nov 30, 2010, 01:25 PM
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2007
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1 View Post
when is HobbyKing going to have this plane back in Stock?
Sorry,i don't have a crystal ball.
marco899 is offline Find More Posts by marco899