HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2003, 05:42 PM
100% electric since 1990
United States, MA, Ware
Joined Jul 2001
1,404 Posts
Official Carrera E kit request thread

Do you want this plane to be available as an arf? Speak up!
twest is offline Find More Posts by twest
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2003, 05:48 PM
100% electric since 1990
United States, MA, Ware
Joined Jul 2001
1,404 Posts
This plane was flown by Quique Somenzini at SEFF this year. To quote Kirby Pople:

"Called the Carrera E, this one of a kind plane has 76" span, 74" long, 1050 sq in wing area, Hacker C50 motor, 6.6:1 gearbox, 20x11 prop. On 20 cells, it weighs 8 pds. 14 oz. The word from Peter Goldsmith was if there was enough demand, Horizon Hobbies will release an ARF kit of the plane. The plane gets my vote for a must have in the fleet."

Here is the article about the 2003 SEFF meet

Here is an mpeg of this plane

And another

I didn't know who to call to request the release of this plane, but if a lot of people post here I could then e-mail a copy to the designer and to Horizon.
twest is offline Find More Posts by twest
Old Jul 12, 2003, 07:11 PM
Gainesville, Fla
Joined Aug 2002
125 Posts
I could careless if its an arf or not I just want one.
Kallikrates is offline Find More Posts by Kallikrates
Old Jul 12, 2003, 11:25 PM
Gainesville, FL USA
Joined Sep 2001
347 Posts
I was very impressed by the carrera and would be very interested if it was available.

This plane seems unique because of its ability to fly pattern well, but also be able to 3D.
jason f is online now Find More Posts by jason f
Old Jul 13, 2003, 03:24 AM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,866 Posts
The video was fantastic. One suspects that Quique Somenzini could make a brick look like a plane I needed to have.

Nevertheless I'd likely buy it kitted as ARTF even though it is too much plane for me right now.
davidleitch is offline Find More Posts by davidleitch
Old Jul 13, 2003, 04:00 AM
17 years on RCG!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 1996
3,110 Posts
That plane flew AWESOME!

By the way - as flown as SEFF the Carrera was using Thunder Power 6s4p 8200 mah packs. Much lighter and more powerful than sub Cs with 10-15 minute average flight times per charge. And this power system is no slouch - max static amps was nearly 70 amps!!! The LiPos werent bothered at all, but of course you must fly with some throttle management.

I definitely would buy one as long as it was an ARF - you can put me first in line

Jason
Jason M is offline Find More Posts by Jason M
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2003, 08:22 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by twest
The word from Peter Goldsmith was if there was enough demand, Horizon Hobbies will release an ARF kit of the plane.

I didn't know who to call to request the release of this plane, but if a lot of people post here I could then e-mail a copy to the designer and to Horizon.
Trouble is if Horizon builds it it will end up being a lead sled due to glow requirements and Horizon isn't going to build just for electric.

What was the build history of this prototype. Was it built for electric or for glow? It's bigger than the Funtana S but only a pound and a half heavier.

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Old Jul 13, 2003, 09:07 AM
Colfax, WA
Joined Oct 2001
622 Posts
I looked the model over pretty carefully and talked to Peter about it. The model was designed specifically for electric.

Rob
a2zprod is offline Find More Posts by a2zprod
Old Jul 13, 2003, 11:41 PM
17 years on RCG!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 1996
3,110 Posts
It wouldnt be sold for glow and electric - just electric if I recall. I did ask Peter that exact question.

It sure was one heck of a performer! It actually flies using the Deans/12 gauge wire "Y" harness I made to join the 2 3s4p packs to make them 6s4p. Qui Que flies with one of my very own adapters - I think that means my soldering must be pretty good

I sure do hope they decide to ARF this one soon...

Jason
Jason M is offline Find More Posts by Jason M
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 14, 2003, 12:22 AM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
Hang on guys!!!!

The designer is Peter Goldsmith. Both he and Quique work for Horizon Hobbies so emails requesting the plane to Horizon would be the way to go.

From Talking with Peter, I got the impression the the plane was designed for Electric propulsion. I think that this may be one of the first ARFS that the glow guys would have to convert to slime power.

In either case, it flew amazing on electric power and I want one, so everyone yelp and holler, lets get this thing to market.

Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Jul 14, 2003, 09:01 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Does Horizon really see a market for a large electric-only plane to where they would bother with bringing it to market?

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see all these mass manufacturers come out with electric only ARFs, its just that I don't see any ingress into electrics except Parkflyer models by these types of companies.

If they did do this as an electric-only it would be a high ticket item.

I'm just not getting my hopes up.

Eeyore
Old Jul 14, 2003, 09:34 AM
Name it, I've crashed it
JAX, FL
Joined Feb 2002
1,556 Posts
I think there would be a lot more of a market for this plane if it was more in the range of 55" and 4-5 lb AUW. If this size sold well then maybe a larger version could then be offered.

I don't know that many people (there are some) who can afford a C50 and want to have 20 cells or $400 worth of Lipo's...

- Bill
Bill Germanson is offline Find More Posts by Bill Germanson
Old Jul 14, 2003, 09:46 AM
South Devon UK
Joined Aug 2002
820 Posts
Bill I agree making it 20 cells and over 6' span does reduce the market. As you say 55" and 4 to 5 lbs would be good. At this point you are looking 10 to 16 cells and a good brushless. For those that don't have a hanger to store it and a lorry to transport it, a 50" sapn plane would be great.

Kris
kris1 is offline Find More Posts by kris1
Old Jul 14, 2003, 01:03 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kelvin
Does Horizon really see a market for a large electric-only plane to where they would bother with bringing it to market?

Eeyore
Eeyore "Somebody cares..."

This is probably why they have not commited to make it yet. Peter said "If there is enough demand we may ARF this thing..."

They would need to see enough people wanting one. Agreed they would sell more if it was a .40 size ship, but he told me they were thinking Funtana price, but he did not want to quote anything yet. There would not be one of these beauties in everyones fleet, but I dont believe they are thinking MASS market with this one. I say let those slime boys drool over electric for a while... ARF IT!

Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Jul 14, 2003, 01:59 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kepople
Eeyore "Somebody cares..."

This is probably why they have not commited to make it yet. Peter said "If there is enough demand we may ARF this thing..."

They would need to see enough people wanting one. Agreed they would sell more if it was a .40 size ship, but he told me they were thinking Funtana price, but he did not want to quote anything yet. ARF IT!

Kirby
That's the Desert Aircraft type Funtana kit at $400 correct?

$400 for the plane, $420 for the C50. $210 for the ESC, $400 for 6s3p Lipos. Gotta get good servos so 4 or maybe more at $90 ea $360-540, $70 for receiver and then say another $70 for props, mounts, spinner etc.

I think it's out of my financial and skill level leagues.

So what are the research methods these companies use before they decide to try to develop a product?

Eeyore