HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:26 AM
Joined Apr 2008
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtimtim View Post
Nice! whats the total weight of the setup`?
Its actually 0.95 Kg ! wow. (35 oz for our friends over the pond)

For those with issues launching have a look at my launch yesterday. Keep your fingers above the wing and thumb below, and give it a good toss. That method is certainly much safer than using the launching holes under the wing. If the prop clips your hand it does make a mess !

My motor only pulls 20A (about 200w) on launch.

How to launch a skyfun flying wing (0 min 9 sec)
thecrawfords67 is offline Find More Posts by thecrawfords67
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:24 PM
Joined Apr 2008
298 Posts
Quote:
roger!

anyone tried the flyjet from HK? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...30mm_KIT_.html how is it compared to the skyfun if you are going for FPV use?
If you are doing FPV its better to use the skyfun as you really need the bigger fuselage. I can only just get all my crap in.
thecrawfords67 is offline Find More Posts by thecrawfords67
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Apr 2012
853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrawfords67 View Post
If you are doing FPV its better to use the skyfun as you really need the bigger fuselage. I can only just get all my crap in.
I just ordered the skyfun and i barely cant wait :P i will fly in the snow when it arrives.
timtimtim is offline Find More Posts by timtimtim
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:47 PM
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jul 2012
107 Posts
Quote:
anyone tried the flyjet from HK??
One of my friends had that Funjet, flew it in both EDF and prop configurations.

It looked great in the air but it's a bit tricky to get properly balanced and nowhere near as robust as the Funjet. Also, the space in the cockpit is quite limited.
klaw81 is offline Find More Posts by klaw81
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:02 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,651 Posts
I wish someone would make a skyfun with the funjet ultra type foam or atleast the type of foam hobbyking uses for most of their other models. Also slightly wider wingspan, longer nose with optional canards, better motor mount, top mounted servos, stronger elevons, better canopy lock design..... i dream of this plane...
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:04 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2011
1,288 Posts

Don't wake me up till its done
idletime is offline Find More Posts by idletime
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:59 PM
Joined Jul 2012
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunt Double View Post
I wish someone would make a skyfun with the funjet ultra type foam or atleast the type of foam hobbyking uses for most of their other models. Also slightly wider wingspan, longer nose with optional canards, better motor mount, top mounted servos, stronger elevons, better canopy lock design..... i dream of this plane...
A lot of the things on your list can be achieved with a few simple mods. I know it's not the same thing as buying it an "already improved" model but:

Stronger elevons can be acheived with a bit of balsa trailing edge stock, or flat balsa and a carbon flat/rod. Cut to shape, hinge with tape and you're done.

Top mounted servos are dead easy. Just poke a scalpel through the standard under-wing servo mounting holes, cut out the outline, and then push the foam offcuts into the underside. Voila - top-mount servos.

A far better canopy lock can be achieved with 4 x rare earth magnets, and a small piece of bamboo skewer. Replace the standard magnetic attachments with rare earth magnets, on both sides, and your hatch will be held down very firmly. Glue the bamboo skewer onto the front of the hatch so it protrudes forward about 8mm, poke a corresponding hole in the front of the fuselage and the front of the hatch can never lift. Total cost $3.

I've found the motor mount is pretty good, it takes a LOT of force to break it. If you've broken it, your airframe is likely to be stuffed anyway.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:04 AM
skidding in the sky
Joined Jan 2010
908 Posts
Hey Klaw, I find the SF motor mount itself to be ok although I've snapped one..

But the small fiberglass plate used on the UC is my quibble, being so small it will soon compress the foam and start creeping into the fuse, I'm using 3 of the stock FG plates and thats still giving me minor issues, and I suspect its weakening the fuse in that area also...

A-skyfun-plus-a-third in modern foam does sound sweet though....

Oh and since we're dreaming... some nice optical grade optional canopies

MMMMMMmmmmm.......... inside cam now we're talking
WitnessOnly is offline Find More Posts by WitnessOnly
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:09 PM
Joined Apr 2012
853 Posts
do you have guidence for the balsa mod? or how about adding some fiber tape`?
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:52 PM
Flying FPV from the lab.
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2008
2,064 Posts
fiber tape works great for a hinge. After building a few Ritewings, I would not do a control surface hinge any other way.

For the balsa mod, I used a few sheets of hobby grade balsa, layered them cross-grain for strength 3 ply. Cut them out to mimic the shape of the stock elevons and taped them on. Not a moments worth of trouble since.
aaron_gx is offline Find More Posts by aaron_gx
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:43 PM
Joined Apr 2012
853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_gx View Post
fiber tape works great for a hinge. After building a few Ritewings, I would not do a control surface hinge any other way.

For the balsa mod, I used a few sheets of hobby grade balsa, layered them cross-grain for strength 3 ply. Cut them out to mimic the shape of the stock elevons and taped them on. Not a moments worth of trouble since.
roger!

is it needed to change the stock elevons, are they really so bad?

also, is it needed to add CF rods?
Last edited by timtimtim; Oct 24, 2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:38 PM
Joined Jul 2012
107 Posts
The standard airframe is quite stiff and reasonably tough. If you're using a stock setup, it's absolutely fine. It's probably also fine with only mild mods, although I would recommend improving the canopy hold-down.

If you're going to fit some sort of big heli motor, you need to upgrade the structure to cope:
a) The elevons will start to flap at high speed, so you have less control. Making new ones out of balsa is probably easier than trying to make the stock ones stronger.
b) Your servos can strip the drive cogs due to the additional forces on them. Use metal-geared ones if you're keen on high speed.
c) Your entire wing may flex and flap at high speed, especially during hard cornering. Some extra stiffening is definitely needed - embedded carbon rods and fiber tape do a decent job of this.

If you're going for an FPV setup, you're probably going to be carrying heavy batteries and expensive gear. I'd recommend stiffening the main wing, and up the centre of the fuselage.

A few dollars and a few minutes spent making the airframe and controls a bit stronger are a wise investment in making your airframe last a lot longer and reduces the risk of sudden catastrophic failure.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:03 PM
Marshall Islands, Enewetak Atoll
Joined Sep 2011
960 Posts
Twin motor Skyfun

Don't know if this has ever been attempted before but I've just about completed my Skyfun conversion to 2 motors, the Twin Skyfun.

Will maiden it tomorrow. Runs great on the bench. Produces 4 lbs of thrust with a 3 cell battery and balances pretty good with a smaller battery pushed far back.
All up weight 2.5 lbs. with 2800 mah battery.

The motor mounts have a slight toe-out to allow the 8" prop some clearance from the fuselage and yet have the motors as close in as possible.

I'll see how it behaves in the air tomorrow.
ecworks is offline Find More Posts by ecworks
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:45 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Joined Oct 2007
2,651 Posts
That is crazy ecworks! Cant wait to hear back.

I just put mine on the scales - 750g naked, 950g flying weight with a 4S 2650. Its easy to see why this thing flys better than an fpv funjet
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:54 PM
Flying FPV from the lab.
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2008
2,064 Posts
Quote:
roger!

is it needed to change the stock elevons, are they really so bad?

also, is it needed to add CF rods?
Only change the elections once you destroy the stock ones (i.e. Crash)

I never used any cf to stiffen any part of my airframes.
aaron_gx is offline Find More Posts by aaron_gx