Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:29 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,937 Posts
The build begins

Well I made some progress today.

I have made the Go Pro mount, and I am pretty happy with it all. I still have to make a catch mechanism for the front of the canopy to hold it down, but I planned for this and it will be simple.

Yes it is a lot of weight on the front, but a test balance with the wings and tails taped on shows I can balance it with the battery moved all the way back.

I still have to add the diversity receiver, the Eagle Tree OSD and pitot, and the video TX (should be here next week!). Some juggling will be required, but I think it'll be ok. I also plan on lightly glassing the bottom of the fuse to protect again landing damage.

The bottom of the wings are reinforced with carbon fibre tape, and I will also be doing the same for the front of the fuse, since it has all this extra weight now

Those clouds are looking a little closer now...
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:38 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,937 Posts
UH oh.... I just had some memory of someone saying carbon fibre is very bad for signal reception.... Have I just made a big mistake??!
Old Nov 21, 2010, 05:07 AM
FPV is my cup of tea
Sweden
Joined Mar 2010
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
UH oh.... I just had some memory of someone saying carbon fibre is very bad for signal reception.... Have I just made a big mistake??!
Carbon eats up RF.
But you haven't used much of the tape.
So try it, I don't think you'll notice any difference.
blupp is offline Find More Posts by blupp
Old Nov 21, 2010, 05:36 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,937 Posts
Too late I ripped it all off! Wasted it all... Bugger
Old Nov 21, 2010, 08:14 AM
FPV is my cup of tea
Sweden
Joined Mar 2010
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
Too late I ripped it all off! Wasted it all... Bugger
Well, thats good.
I think the most recommended tape is 3M 3650.
But whatever tape is better than no tape, except for aluminum and CF tape.
You could try to protect things like RC-receiver with the CF tape.
blupp is offline Find More Posts by blupp
Old Nov 23, 2010, 08:47 PM
Flying FPV from the lab.
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2008
2,083 Posts
gree, loving the progress, looks great. Really like the motor mount mods and all the strengthening you've done. Cant wait to see how it flies with all your equipment.
aaron_gx is offline Find More Posts by aaron_gx
Old Nov 24, 2010, 04:59 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,937 Posts
Don't you mean if!?
Old Nov 24, 2010, 09:11 AM
Flying FPV from the lab.
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2008
2,083 Posts
of course it will fly! Just a question of how fast your're going to have to go to keep it in the air! And how fast you'll have to bring it in for a landing!
Old Dec 03, 2010, 03:32 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,937 Posts
Well I plan on doing a non-FPV flight test tomorrow with no Eagletree gear in the plane (since the hobbyking order has not turned up yet )

Does anyone know the wing area of this plane (to save me calculating it!). I want to check the wing loading - I'm a bit afraid to!
Old Dec 03, 2010, 03:39 PM
Flying FPV from the lab.
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2008
2,083 Posts
It'll go! Nice thing about the skyfun vs. funjet is it doesnt roll much on launch. It has quite a bit of wing area.

I think the skyfun looks like a cross between the space shuttle and an f-14.
Old Dec 03, 2010, 03:50 PM
NDw
Ireland, Limerick, Kilmallock
Joined Aug 2010
2,123 Posts
Doesn't it look beautiful in the sky(skip to about 2.00)?

HobbyKing - SkyFun ARF Pusher Jet (8 min 19 sec)
NDw is offline Find More Posts by NDw
Old Dec 03, 2010, 11:16 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,937 Posts
Well here is the end result... I am pretty happy with the look and fit of everything.

I am running this 2200kv motor with a 6x5 prop:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5203

It is pulling 27.48 amps and 287.9 watts at full throttle. How does that sound? For the first few flights I don't want to break the sound barrier...

But I have this 3400kv motor ready to drop in when I get used to things (From the forums, correctly propped it should be good for around 150ish km/h!!):
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8480

Wish me luck. I'm going to give it a non-FPV test fly tomorrow morning with the go pro. :S
Old Dec 04, 2010, 12:46 AM
Registered Loser :)
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,928 Posts
I think it will be sweet, I had a 5000 mah 3s battery in mine and it still launched ok and landed good too. I was using a 9 X 4.5 though with a 1700 kv motor so it was not ultra fast but had good takeoff and vertical power.
Love these planes.

Mark
mark hitchman is offline Find More Posts by mark hitchman
Old Dec 04, 2010, 05:37 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,937 Posts
Well I am back from the maiden flight. Here's a run down.

Range test with Thomas LRS
Did the usual range test by taking off the TX antenna and walking away until the plane goes into failsafe. I got 18 (big) paces which is pretty damn good! Then I tried it with the Go PRo switched on - 6 paces! LIterally 1/3 the range with the Go Pro turned on, and not even in live video out mode. There was no video tx running or anything either.

I am in major trouble here. Anyone have any ideas?

Launch
I had to swap out my 6x5 prop to the stock Skyfun prop at the field because I noticed some major vibration at full rpm. The prop was way out of balance. So now I have a stock crappy Skyfun prop on, and I did not check the Watts output.

Had my friend launch it 4 times before it got in the air, but admittedly a few of those throws were not very good (sorry James) plus I think I could of flown away from 3 out of the 4 launches but got a bit scared when the roll was a bit crazy immediately after launch and cut the throttle to belly in.

Flight
It flies! Not very fast with that prop and the weight, but it can maintain about a 40 degree climb angle for a fair while. It needed about 7 clicks of right trim and then off it went.

The glide is very good. Glides for a very long time without much loss of altitude, and can land pretty reasonably - about the same as my heavily laden easy star at around 30km/h as an estimate.

I did not have the Go Pro switched on with that massive reduction in range though, so no video.

Issues
I have some work to do if I want to take this on my flying weekend coming up soon. I need to:

- Somehow try to sort the interfere issues with the Go Pro, or simply replace the Go Pro with a normal SD camera

- Work out the best prop motor combo. I have a very hot little motor with a 4.5x4.5 prop waiting (tried and tested on other forums), but I am pretty sure it won't like all the weight.

Way forward?
As I see it I have a couple of choices...

1. Try to find a fix for the camera interference issue, and try a different prop, resulting in a good but slowish plane (Hmm didn't someone try to tell me this thing would be too heavy?)

2. Dedicate this plane to light low flying - minus go pro, long range receiver and OSD, whacking the 150km/h motor on it. Make my easy star the new long range vehicle, and have a spare Eagle Tree OSD for another project...

Votes anyone?