Are you guys Mech Engineers?
crazyracer is offline Find More Posts by crazyracer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2010, 01:49 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,107 Posts
crazyracer,

Nope, but I enjoy engineering. I'm in the medical field.
SHVentus is online now Find More Posts by SHVentus
Old Nov 02, 2010, 01:54 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,352 Posts
crazyracer:

I'm an aeronautical engineer. Correction: FLIGHT TEST ENGINEER.

And, I have a Post Versalog (must weigh 3 pounds!). Slide rules - what a human invention! Using physical addition and subtraction as analogs for multiplication and division, but unable to add or subtract. Explain that to your kids!

I also have a slide rule devoted to aeronautics: Mach number for ranges of altitudes and airspeeds, true versus calibrated versus equivalent airspeed, all kinds of useless stuff.

I'm full of useless stuff.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Nov 02, 2010, 02:33 PM
San Luis Obispo, CA
Joined Oct 2010
111 Posts
I may sound like a quiet the nerd right now, but your slide rules sound like a lot of fun. What company do you work for? I've been working on and off at General Atomics ASI while going to school. They build unmanned birds.

Just an update as well, I ordered high start capable of 500ft launches (so they claim). It should be here saturday morning, just in time for the frost to thaw from Friday's predicted snow snowers. I can't wait to get back to cali!
Old Nov 02, 2010, 04:03 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
Something the new generation of techies will never get to do with their mice or their Wii's,,,, scratch your back!
The Pickett Log-log duplex deci-trig was is superb for that task, still!
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sparky Paul; Nov 02, 2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2010, 04:30 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,352 Posts
crazyracer:

What's a nerd?

I cut my flight test teeth at Northrop, back when they were still the small company, making little airplanes. A couple of decades as a civil servant, at Edwards and Kirtland, testing fighters and bombers respectively. Then some time as Tech Director for some Joint Tests at various places. A couple of stints in industry (including UAVs at Honeywell), and now a contractor supporting WSMR.

You got any openings at General Atomics? I would LOVE to get back in the airplane business.

The Post Versa-Log is great for intimidating junior engineers - just wave it around wildly, they all back right up.

Yours, Greg
Old Nov 02, 2010, 09:45 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyracer View Post
Are you guys Mech Engineers?
Yes.

-----------------

Sparky Paul: What do you mean "even though it used RPN". It's BECAUSE it used RPN. Still using a 42C at work. Wish I had another one.
lincoln is online now Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Nov 02, 2010, 10:02 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,352 Posts
crazyracer:

Got the PM, and many thanks.

Yours, Greg
Old Nov 02, 2010, 10:24 PM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Apr 2002
521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyracer View Post
I go to college at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo. I've already contacted the local "Slo flyers" club. They referred me to the Pismo Beach Soaring Society for some slope flying gurus. I'm looking forward to getting this bird out to Cali, I have a feeling the conditions will be much better.
Do yourself a favor and contact PBSS. You can get on their group mailing list at http://www.pbss.org/
It is a great bunch of guys that fly thermal an slope regularly. You will find experts that love to help out new flyers. Tell 'em I sent you.

-andy (former PBSS pilot)
shoe is offline Find More Posts by shoe
Old Nov 02, 2010, 10:52 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,107 Posts
Here's mine:
SHVentus is online now Find More Posts by SHVentus
Old Nov 02, 2010, 10:55 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,352 Posts
crazyracer:

The PBSS stuff is terrific, like Andy says. I've never had the chance more than once, but what a kick.

If you're near Poway now, check out the local hand-launch club. If you haven't seen discus launch ("DLG") it'll knock you socks off!

And shoe: will you be showing up at the Blue Skies in Eloy this weekend? Us New Mexicans will be rolling in around noon on Friday.

Yours, Greg
Old Nov 02, 2010, 11:20 PM
San Luis Obispo, CA
Joined Oct 2010
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidermang View Post
crazyracer:

The PBSS stuff is terrific, like Andy says. I've never had the chance more than once, but what a kick.

If you're near Poway now, check out the local hand-launch club. If you haven't seen discus launch ("DLG") it'll knock you socks off!

And shoe: will you be showing up at the Blue Skies in Eloy this weekend? Us New Mexicans will be rolling in around noon on Friday.

Yours, Greg
This whole mess came about months ago when I was working in Poway. Almost daily I'd see this guy and sometimes a friend fling these gliders up into the air during lunch. I couldn't believe how quick he snapped them up there. I was an intern with a window office! (I won't have an office like that for another 15 years). I will definitely be looking into more DLG related stuff when I get back to Poway in June.
Old Nov 02, 2010, 11:39 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Wow, busy thread!! Re the shim: the increased angle of attack is helpful to slow down the elevator responses, and I also find it easier to core light lift. I have occasionally moved the shim to the trailing edge to speed up the responsiveness on the slope, and increase the glide speed without adding ballast. Like I said, fly it, play with it, until the model is completely familiar to you regardless of conditions.

Thornburg's books and articles are everything one could possibly want to know about soaring, slope or thermal. The Ol' Buzzard has educated many, many fliers over the years!
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Nov 03, 2010, 02:02 AM
Age quod agis
Joined Sep 2007
1,434 Posts
Hey CrazyRacer,

Are you using the black tape to repair holes in the monokote? You can use monokote to repair holes in monokote.

You must have been working off of Scripps Poway Parkway in Poway. I have a feeling I know who you were seeing flying hand launch gliders at lunch.
SD RC Boater is offline Find More Posts by SD RC Boater
Old Nov 03, 2010, 03:25 AM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,243 Posts
The only good slide rule is a round one!
bbbp is offline Find More Posts by bbbp