HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2010, 02:10 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,081 Posts
Discussion
Hobby Shack SST-40 (Super Sport Trainer 40)

Guys,

Anyone have any experience with the Hobby Shack SST-40 (Super Sport Trainer - 40). I have one that is 99% finished that I started to build back in 1993 or so and am thinking of finishing it.

the Magnum 40GP was broken in with about 1/2 gal of gas and has been mounted. io have been dripping after run oil into the carb and spinning the prop. Still moves like new. Do not know if it needs to be rebuilt or what. Suggestions/procedures are welcome.

Is this a beginner's plane?

I have stopped building it back in 1997 since I got hooked on gliders and have been flying them ever since. I fly mostly DLGs and 3M full house gliders.

Is this going to be difficult for me to get into power with?

Now, I am thinking of finishing what was started many moons ago.

thanks

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Last edited by Fly2High; Nov 01, 2010 at 02:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2010, 01:29 AM
TigreJohn
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Aug 2008
995 Posts
Can't find any info on a 17 year (or more) old airframe, but with your experience with gliders, consider a high or shoulder wing a trainer. With the designation of Super Sport, it may be faster than a "first plane" trainer, but throttle control will fix that problem. Biggest change you will experience is the definite tendency of the airplane to turn left during take-off because of torque effects of the engine, be ready with the rudder.

The GP40 was a good engine; I believe at that time it was made by the same factory that makes the Thunder Tigers. If you forgot how to tune an engine, there is a good sticky in the engine forum. The only other suggestion I can make is to use fuel with some castor oil content. Some of the cheaper synthetic oils used in some fuels will attract water, so will residual methanol, which together can be hell on bearings.
jjkupinski is offline Find More Posts by jjkupinski
Old Nov 02, 2010, 12:32 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,081 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I seem to recall that the fuel I was using was either all castor or mostly.
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Nov 03, 2010, 06:08 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,027 Posts
If you can fly a full house glider you can fly this plane.,
few small tips just in case ; after you start the engine and go full trottle hold the plane up to a 45 angle; this will prove if the engine needle setting is good,
If the engine leans out you need to open the needle a few clicks until it keeps running well.
Practishe a bit on the ground to get used to the gound handeling then you know how mutch to compensate; the most dificult part ussaly is with tail draggers (i guess this one has a nose gear) when the tail becomes light and you only have the rudder to compensate.

Also do not pull it off the ground to soon or you could stall ; if the cg is right and the elevator trim too it probbay lifts off by itself.

Ind if you happen to have a engine that quits in flight you and up with a glider
cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder