SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 01, 2010, 12:59 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2010
42 Posts
Question
"Modular" EasyStar build... (And log).

Hi all - I've been lurking on the forums for a couple weeks now, trying to absorb all the information I can, and I have to say that if it has one weakness, it would be an almost over-abundance of information! Even with the search function, it can sometimes feel like looking for a definition in a dictionary without knowing the spelling

Anyway, I know a lot of my questions are going to be covered already, but with all the differing opinions on certain subjects through separate thread/forums, its often difficult to tell what is generally accepted, and what is personal opinion - so I'm going to make things easier by collating all my queries into the one place, and hopefully others with similar goals can learn as I do. Perhaps I can even take photographs during the process and turn this into a pseudo-build-log too

The plan at the moment is to start with a relatively basic EZ*, and to gradually upgrade it in several stages to include FPV capability, OSD, GPS, RTH, and perhaps some optional extras. However, I dont particularly want to be removing and replacing parts in non-ideal places each time I add equipment. So the plan is to essentially figure out where each of the major components is best located, and build with that in mind. Thus, in theory, each upgrade should be relatively painless, because I'll have already taken into account where the parts will fit (hence the "modular" part of the thread name)!

At the moment, I have the following ideas in mind concerning what each 'upgrade' will consist of (in rough order)...

Rigidity/strength is important as is reduced drag - aiming to increase performance and flight times (keeping in mind future FPV equipment will add weight)...
sanding off the foam mould bubbles/'turbulators'
Fuselage 'bay' as per Mr. Pibb's build-log
Carbon fiber or fiberglass wing reinforcement
Nose area reinforcement - barrel wrap? glass rod? (also thought empty EZ Pod type pan/tilt minus the cam/servos, since I'd probably get one later anyway!)
Fiber Tape along fuselage bottom for landings
Instead of finishing with paint, would low temperature heat shrink film be a better option in terms of visibility/weight/drag/rigidity?
Performance upgrade (HK 2835-2200kv inrunner, moxie 45A 2-6S 3A SBEC, 3S 20C 2650mAh battery {intend to run a one-battery FPV setup - will this need to be a different battery stepped up/down/etc?})
APC 6x4e prop + adapter
After the 'basics', I'll start looking at FPV+OSD side of things, seeing as it seems that quality is very dependent upon the location and proximity of certain component to others. Is there a general thread regarding this? Ive seen Trappy's "philosophies of FPV" thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1323951

but it covers more the do's and don'ts and not there 'where or where-nots' I was thinking the fairly typical "VTx int the tail, Rx in fuse bay, camera in pan/tilt pod, GPS in nose" type setup, and making sure all wires were shielded or twisted - though of course this may vary as I get more info. (Will be running 2.4GHz Tx and 5.8GHz VTx).

Anyways, Im sure that's MORE than enough to go through for now - comments and suggestions (or questions) are welcome! As I get more information, I'll start putting up pics of what's currently in progress, as well as thoughts/ideas on the specific equipment I'll be looking at adding...

Inc

PS: I have read through Sarge's Easystar build thread, The large EZ* thread (well some of it!), as well as 'show us your plane' type threads - all contain excellent information and mods... Perhaps later today (when it's not 3am local time) I'll come up with some more specific questions :-)
Incendium is offline Find More Posts by Incendium
Last edited by Incendium; Nov 15, 2010 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Added info
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2010, 02:06 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Skid pan, for EZ*.

Here's how we did ours; I cut the sides out of a PETG Johnson's Baby Shampoo bottle, sprayed the inside with the appropriate day-glo color,
and cemented it to the bottom with RTV silicon rubber.
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Nov 02, 2010, 02:05 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2010
42 Posts
Thanks - I dont think I'll be able to use it exactly "as is", but it certainly always helps to see what others have done! I might be able to base something (no pun intended!) on it...

Inc
Old Nov 02, 2010, 02:19 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2010
42 Posts
With regards to strengthening the airframe, Im actually leaning towards using glass over carbon at the moment, because even though it's heavier it is also less likely to cause interference with RF gear. With the performance upgrade, the couple grams extra it will add should be more than offset by the extra power. After cutting the fuselage bay, I think i'll internally reinforce the inside of the EZ (bay and cockpit areas) rather than the outside, using the recommended 3M extreme tape, as this should provide added strength along most of the fuse, which leaves the outside smoother and still able to be painted or repaired with the 'elapor soup' method ;-)

Also, fastening will be done by semi-recessed, industrial-type velcro, rather than magnets...

Inc
Old Nov 02, 2010, 01:25 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,006 Posts
Why bother with the easystar when there are other, better planes of the same configuration but already tweaked with FPV in mind in the first place?
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Nov 02, 2010, 01:38 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Great idea! Any suggestions?
Old Nov 02, 2010, 02:30 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancero View Post
Great idea! Any suggestions?
Of the top of my head, I can't name one, but the FPV forum has lots of threads on purpose designed FPV kits.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Nov 02, 2010, 06:39 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2010
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
Why bother with the easystar when there are other, better planes of the same configuration but already tweaked with FPV in mind in the first place?
Mainly because Im also new to RC aircraft, and it's well known for it's handling characteristics. This is why the plan is in stages - star off with a basic plane, and then as I learn not to horribly mangle it, add more capability ;-)

Inc
Old Nov 02, 2010, 10:11 PM
Joined Sep 2005
1,054 Posts
GoatZilla is online now Find More Posts by GoatZilla
Old Nov 02, 2010, 10:25 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2010
42 Posts
I like that foam mount for the outrunner - would be easier to swap those over than inrunner - though I already have the 2835-2200 sitting here waiting for the build

Inc
Old Nov 02, 2010, 10:50 PM
Joined Sep 2005
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incendium View Post
I like that foam mount for the outrunner - would be easier to swap those over than inrunner - though I already have the 2835-2200 sitting here waiting for the build

Inc
Are you going to glue the 2835 into the foam?

I know I'm old fashioned, but I try to shave as much weight as possible off components to make room for payload. That Microdan motor is 36g, and the foam mount is 3g (I've got a 2g version too). Your 2835-2000 is a staggering 102g. Granted, the Microdan is also 3x the cost of the 2835.

Just FYI.
GoatZilla is online now Find More Posts by GoatZilla
Old Nov 03, 2010, 12:08 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2010
42 Posts
Yeah I know it's a heavy motor :-(
The problem with being a noob is that I couldnt quite figure out what the equivalent outrunner in terms of power would be - plus the 2835 had a lot of good mentions throughout the forums (and was dirt cheap of course!). I'll probably wrap it in heatshrink and then mount with glue or some kind of 'goop' equivalent. Im trying to keep things fairly cheap for the first version - doesnt hurt the wallet as much if something goes wrong (which it inevitably will!)

Inc
Old Nov 03, 2010, 06:59 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
My motor

2835, 2700KV. 5X5 folding prop, 2.6Ah 2S1P. Performs well at full throttle.
Watt-meter readings indicate about half the max amps. After-flight heat is very nominal. I'm happy with this model!
Old Nov 03, 2010, 07:22 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2010
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancero View Post
2835, 2700KV. 5X5 folding prop, 2.6Ah 2S1P. Performs well at full throttle.
Watt-meter readings indicate about half the max amps. After-flight heat is very nominal. I'm happy with this model!
Awesome. Ive seen a few people with the 2800kv version and they all seem to be happy with it.I decided to go for the 2200 mainly because (as I understand it) the higher the kv the higher the top end power, but as a tradeoff for torque at lower speed. So I figured with an FPV setup (eventually), Id probably want the option of a quicker responsive 'kick' over maximum power/speed. How do you find the folding prop? Im considering looking for a 6x4 to replace the APC 6x4e I have here.

Inc
Old Nov 04, 2010, 11:14 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
The headless spinner and the 5X5 prop seem to be a good combination, for our EZ*s. Further flight tests will reveal more, I am sure. The tiny prop blades offer very little drag, to begin with, but turn out plenty of thrust to fly this model properly. Currently working on FPV canopy, using flat sheet PETG, clear plastic, to yield an optically-clear field, for the pan-tilt camera. When done, I will peel the protective sheets off, and the camera will not know it is looking through plastic!