HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2010, 11:17 PM
Sebastopol, Ca
Joined Jun 2004
638 Posts
Discussion
Guillows FW-190

Here are some pictures of my Guillows 500 series FW-190 I built for the Guillows G challenge on yahoo groups http://groups.yahoo.com/group/guillows_g_challenge/
Dave K is online now Find More Posts by Dave K
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2010, 11:28 PM
Sebastopol, Ca
Joined Jun 2004
638 Posts
AUW was 19 grams and it flew great with a long loop of 1/8" Tan II. First full wind flight was 68 seconds with a little thermal assist but it does 58 seconds in dead air. Would have liked to add panel lines and a lot more detail but I ran out of time
Old Nov 01, 2010, 02:45 AM
Joined Jul 2005
696 Posts
Beautiful work there, Dave!

Looks good and flies well too, what an accomplishment. The FW-190 is something I intend to build in the near future, have the Comet plan available but not the time to build of late. Hopefully, will find time soon to build and fly again.

hklam
hklam is offline Find More Posts by hklam
Old Nov 01, 2010, 09:42 AM
Joined May 2005
761 Posts
That is a nice build. Yours came out to 19 grams, good job. I built mine out of the box and it weighed 30 grams, still a great flyer. The first trim flights were around 30 seconds. After some clay in the nose she is consistently flying around a minute, just as good as my Guillows Hellcat. I really like your paint job. I did not paint mine, but hope to build another and paint it. Once again, good job.
scigs30 is offline Find More Posts by scigs30
Old Nov 01, 2010, 11:40 AM
Troy, NY
Joined Dec 2001
139 Posts
Very nice! Is the LG removable?
Mooney is offline Find More Posts by Mooney
Old Nov 01, 2010, 12:30 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,316 Posts

Gesundheit

19 grams, eh? You must have done some serious hogging away at the formers and replaced all the wood. All in all a superb job.

How do you get all that rubber to stay inside and not bunch up as it runs down?
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Nov 01, 2010, 05:04 PM
Sebastopol, Ca
Joined Jun 2004
638 Posts
Thanks for the kind words on the FW-190

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30 View Post
That is a nice build. Yours came out to 19 grams, good job. I built mine out of the box and it weighed 30 grams, still a great flyer. The first trim flights were around 30 seconds. After some clay in the nose she is consistently flying around a minute, just as good as my Guillows Hellcat. I really like your paint job. I did not paint mine, but hope to build another and paint it. Once again, good job.

Ultimately I was able to get better flight times out of My Hellcat ( http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...illows+hellcat )but I spent way more time trimming it. I was happy to get the flight time I did from the FW-190 without much trimming and did not want to push it because our flying field has been plowed (I did not have pictures of it for the contest yet) and is very hard on planes. In the spring time when the grass is back I will see if I can squeak a few more seconds out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney View Post
Very nice! Is the LG removable?
Yes it is removable and probably weighs more than the rest of plane. I have never made removable landing gears in the past but I might start making them for more of my planes as they photograph so much better up on there landing gear
Last edited by Dave K; Nov 01, 2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old Nov 01, 2010, 05:12 PM
Sebastopol, Ca
Joined Jun 2004
638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews View Post

Gesundheit

19 grams, eh? You must have done some serious hogging away at the formers and replaced all the wood. All in all a superb job.

How do you get all that rubber to stay inside and not bunch up as it runs down?
Actually it is all Guillow's wood from an older kit that had 8 to 12 pound wood. I hogged out/shaved as much as I could (see pictures below).

As for the rubber bunching. I used a reverse S hook for the motor and that is about it. I have had good luck with really long loops 1/8" rubber and no braiding. When I get into bigger motors I find that I need to braid them and make spinning motor pegs to keep them from bunching.
Old Nov 01, 2010, 07:43 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,316 Posts
Nice work. All that wood you shaved out could build another one...
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Nov 02, 2010, 07:05 AM
Joined Mar 2008
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews View Post

Could we get a few bits of info on the noseblock?

I suspect I know how you did it, but inquiring minds want to know!!
Cap_n_Dave is offline Find More Posts by Cap_n_Dave