SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 06, 2010, 04:34 AM
Eden valley England
Joined Apr 2009
183 Posts
O.K. Got you on that, I thought you meant glass tape on leading edge. Thanks. I intend to do the mods today. Maiden will have to wait a while longer yet. Im still walking the dog though LOL.
fellwalker is offline Find More Posts by fellwalker
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2010, 10:45 AM
Hobbs, NM
Joined Sep 2003
102 Posts
Nose wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fellwalker View Post
Has anyone thought about putting a nose wheel on this model ?
I fly off asphalt and concrete a lot, and will likely add a little 1/4-inch diameter Sullivan tailwheel under the nose. I don't mean to land on it, so Ill just sandwich the wheel un-sprung between two pieces of thin ply, carve out enough foam to clear half the wheel, glue the mess in, and fair what sticks out with scrap foam. For the time being, though, I expect a nice piece of strapping tape ought to limit road rash.

Eric
GlideAngles is offline Find More Posts by GlideAngles
Old Dec 06, 2010, 11:51 AM
Eden valley England
Joined Apr 2009
183 Posts
Souds good to me Eric. I intend to fit one at some point. Bill
Old Dec 06, 2010, 02:56 PM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlideAngles View Post
I fly off asphalt and concrete a lot, and will likely add a little 1/4-inch diameter Sullivan tailwheel under the nose. I don't mean to land on it, so Ill just sandwich the wheel un-sprung between two pieces of thin ply, carve out enough foam to clear half the wheel, glue the mess in, and fair what sticks out with scrap foam. For the time being, though, I expect a nice piece of strapping tape ought to limit road rash.

Eric
Awesome idea! Please keep us all updated on how you get along, photos, tips, what size wheel you end up using, etc.
studioRS is online now Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Dec 06, 2010, 04:54 PM
Eden valley England
Joined Apr 2009
183 Posts
Hi I did the mods on the hump and cut the spacer off. This is the way its worked out for me. My 2,200 mah battery is 6.6oz. I had to add 0.5 oz to the tail to ballance 50 mm from leading edge. total weight 7.1oz. I think iflytailies used the stock bat and used one of the stock weights up front. This would give a total of 6.1 oz, and he said he may have to add a small amount of weight to the tail, so there is only a 1 oz difference using a 2.200. For the extra duration I think it is worth using a 2.200. Depending on what ever blows your kilt up of course. Thanks for all the help and tips you guys have given me over the past couple of weeks or so. All I have to do now is get a maiden flight in. Bill
Old Dec 06, 2010, 07:50 PM
I have Imajinary Airplanes
7 Miles from Turkey Hill Slope, PA.
Joined Mar 2003
656 Posts
This thing is so light to begin with, I don't think it will hurt the performance. I hear kilts are very drafty
soarntz is offline Find More Posts by soarntz
Old Dec 07, 2010, 01:24 AM
Hobbs, NM
Joined Sep 2003
102 Posts
Maidened it

Actually, the rudder was the only hinge on mine that didn't require taping (but I did that, anyway). Needed 3-inch extensions for the elevator and rudder servos to enable pulling my receiver (Hobby King's eight dollar 6-channel "Orange" rx for Spektrum DSM2) out far enough to install and remove a binding plug; also on the aileron wye harness to avoid fishing servo connectors through that little slot every time it gets assembled or disassembled. Then found one of the blind nuts for a wing attach bolt to have been glued about a half-diameter out of line with the bolt hole (Arrrgh!).

After several assembly/disassembly cycles correcting such; adjusting control wires; binding the rx and programming what-all into the DX-7, range checking, etc., found the CofG bang on with a 3Sx1350 shoved all the way forward. I thew the mess into the bed of the truck and headed for the local park, where my friend James had measured 46 degrees F., with the wind at 8 knots and gusting to 12: We walked out the the middle of the grass, where I did a final flight control check, powered up to to a reassuring pull, gave it a gentle shove upwind and was delighted to see it climbly away pretty much in trim. Had a little bobble in the pitch axis departing (elevator wire in the hole nearest the hinge--I like to be able to spin down when I spec out in a thermal) and switched to low rates. "Wow, real scale-like wing flex there," remarks my faithful sidekick and flyin' buddy, James.

Powered down to a glide at about 200 feet for turning stalls left and right: Trying to pick up the dropping wing with aileron alone aggravates the tip stall. Rudder alone (I like a lot of throw there, too) is a better recovery. That's scale-like, too.

Pitch stability is a little ambiguous in the glide; beep beep beep enough down trim to inhibit porpoising. Much better. CofG 50mm aft of the wing leading edge works ok, but might be a little aft. Power up and pull for about a 3-gee loop. Looks very elegant on the up-line; tracking nicely, and Holy Sh*t!! It goes over the top, power off, with enough new dihedral to scare me silly! I unload; try to roll off the top, and full aileron does... nothing. I'm power on and pushing stick now to keep it inverted, which makes the dihedral a bit less alarming, but full aileron still has zero effect. Full rudder brings it back upright without piling up gee, and flies it around an abbreviated landing pattern. I manage to get it back on the grass and stopped with but a wee little ground loop.

There's a little explosion behind me and a gust of wind past my ear, here, and I suddenly realize that my flyin' buddy James has left his customary position by my side to place my body exactly between himself and the glider, and has apparently been holding his breath back there for the duration of this exhibition. "Jeez, Urk. Don't that thing have a spar in the wing a-tall?" Brief silence.

"Well yeah, James: It does. And if close my eyes here, I think I see it lying in the bottom of the box with all that bubble-wrap. On the floor. In. My. Shop."

No damage done, but for giving James another story to tell about me during bench-flying sessions. Ok. Quick trip home. Install spar. Now that I know it's not going to dive into the dirt immediately as it leaves my hand, the club flying field's hard, flat runways and unabstructed approach paths seem a reasonble venue for the re-match.

The ASK really does seem to handle better with the spar installed. I put about an hour on it today including that first debacle. I like the easy hand-launch, rate of climb, and elegant loops. It flys well inverted. There's a lot of adverse yaw, and it wants a bunch of rudder to keep it from going sideways rolling in and out of turns, especially when flying slowly. Setting up or programming some differential aileron will help that, but at the expense of roll rate, which is ponderously slow. (All of which is very like the full-scale ASK-21, except that control rates are better balanced in the big one than I've managed so far to set up on the model). I expect to get more comfortable cranking the model around close to the ground, but at the moment, I need a pretty long, flat final to get it on the ground. Once there, it's capable of a nice, scale rollout on the main wheel before it runs out of energy to keep the nose off the ground (but doesn't grind that very far at all, at least in today's wind). I expect that reflexing the ailerons a bunch may steepen the glidepath for landing, but a set of those Graupner torque-rod type spoilers would likely be more effective, and might be fairly easy to install.

And it needs a pilot in the cockpit, or pilots. After the first flight this morning, I'm looking for a copy of that "Home Alone" promo photo of the kid screaming with his hands to face to put in the back seat, as the flight instructor.

Cheers!
Eric
Old Dec 07, 2010, 05:07 AM
I have Imajinary Airplanes
7 Miles from Turkey Hill Slope, PA.
Joined Mar 2003
656 Posts
Glad it all worked out. Don't forget a checklist next time. At least we know the foam is resilient!
soarntz is offline Find More Posts by soarntz
Old Dec 07, 2010, 07:58 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
@ GlideAngles - WOW great write up, nice to hear the ASK-21 is well tested tough sans wing spar!

I'm curious how your experience is with the HK OrangeRx in the ASK-21, seems to have worked well. I'm planning to use the exact same setup but with my DX6i.

Did you also use the Spektrum Remote in addition or just alone with the OrangeRx?

I'll have to purchase the 3" extensions for elevator, rudder and aileron y-harness, good tips and again wonderful flight story!

Cheers, Thompson
http://www.kewlartdesigns.com
Custom ASK-21 Scale Sticker Sets
Old Dec 07, 2010, 08:10 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
@iflytailies
@soarntz

Received the first color proof ASK-21 sticker set. Blue needs some minor adjustment lightening up, I will run another and ship out.

Regards, Thompson

Old Dec 07, 2010, 12:11 PM
Eden valley England
Joined Apr 2009
183 Posts
You have never lived if you have never worn a good tartan kilt, but dont go out in the wind. lol.
Old Dec 07, 2010, 12:18 PM
Hobbs, NM
Joined Sep 2003
102 Posts
My preference is for short pants, but hey: "Whatever lifts yer skirt," as they say 'round this part of Texiss.

Eric
Old Dec 07, 2010, 01:28 PM
Hobbs, NM
Joined Sep 2003
102 Posts
Orange rx

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioRS View Post
@ GlideAngles <snip>- I'm curious how your experience is with the HK OrangeRx in the ASK-21, seems to have worked well. I'm planning to use the exact same setup but with my DX6i.

Did you also use the Spektrum Remote in addition or just alone with the OrangeRx?<snip>
Cheers, Thompson
I'm not using the extension, and the HK Spektrum-clone rx's (the Orange 6- and 4-channel as well as their other <2-antenna>-) 6-channel) all passed my personal range test and are all working glitch free as far out as I care to fly anything. To put that into perspective, I range test every rx I use on an expendable Easy Star (too well used/abused to sell, but still too useful to trash).

What I do with a new rx, is fiddle with the fail-safe until the EZ* will transition to to a stable power-off descending turn with the tx turned off. Then I fly it straight upwind, climbing, until it a) gets too far out for me to orient to, at which point I turn the tx off until it drifts back downwind enough to re-acquire visually; b) gets really boring, or I need to drain my bladder, or c); gets glitchy or loses signal, at which point it either drifts back downwind into range, or will crash somewhere out in the mesquite, prompting a search-and-rescue adventure. (I'm still not sure what-all is on the ground way out there way upwind, as all my crashes tend to be dumb-thumb episodes much closer in).

Hope that answers your question.

Cheers!
Eric
Old Dec 08, 2010, 05:12 AM
Eden valley England
Joined Apr 2009
183 Posts
Hi , Eric, Yep shorts are great, but have you ever seen a marching pipe band with the swing of the kilts ,it looks great. I know its got nothing to do with the ask 21 but I hope you guys foregive me, but when the march starts they have to take a step to the side to get the kilts to swing left and right. I promise I will not mention kilts again, sorry guys. Bill
Last edited by fellwalker; Dec 08, 2010 at 06:30 AM.
Old Dec 08, 2010, 08:49 AM
Hobbs, NM
Joined Sep 2003
102 Posts
Wind day

Yesterday was warmer than expected and I meant to try the ASK-21 with a 3Sx1800 up front and the CofG nearer 40mm than 50, but the wind at the local club site was 32 mph, gusting to 40. I have a 300 Watt Easy Star that'll fly in that, but no enthusiam for eating all the sand that comes with it, and situational awareness is compromised by the necessity of including passing tumbleweeds in the scan and side-stepping any that seem to have "locked on" (not to mention the distraction of keeping one's kilt at a level that won't get ya arrested for indecent exposure. Hmmm... do they make those with ballasted hems, Bill? And yes, my high school band marched behind a pipe and drum corps in the Pasadena Rose Parade one year, which was a delightful change from being first to follow the horses). So the ASK-21 remains safe from senior moments to fly another day.

Cheers!
Eric