SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 30, 2010, 01:17 PM
I have Imajinary Airplanes
7 Miles from Turkey Hill Slope, PA.
Joined Mar 2003
656 Posts
Since it is raining today, I did not go to the slope to take pictures. However, I did find a link to a video from several years ago of some "Zagi" fighting that shows a little of the slope. I am the "Loser" in this fight!

Video taken by none other than Iflytailies

http://www.youtube.com/user/IFlyTail...00/bXG3GqigIMQ
soarntz is offline Find More Posts by soarntz
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2010, 01:30 PM
Eden valley England
Joined Apr 2009
183 Posts
Ask-21

Life is not good for me. I did intend to maiden the ask 21 this week , but the road up to where I fly is cut off by deep snow. I live in the country and narrow country roads are the last to be cleared so it could be some time before the chance to fly comes round again. I guess I will just have to keep walking the dog lol.
fellwalker is offline Find More Posts by fellwalker
Old Nov 30, 2010, 01:39 PM
Eden valley England
Joined Apr 2009
183 Posts
Thanks for the video Soarntz. You Guys are expert flyers. It looked very windy up there. Nice slope. Bill.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 01:42 PM
I have Imajinary Airplanes
7 Miles from Turkey Hill Slope, PA.
Joined Mar 2003
656 Posts
Yes it was a very windy day. For now, this is ourlocal slope. The really nice one has two recently installed wind turbines. Waiting for word as to whether we will be allowed to fly there any longer
soarntz is offline Find More Posts by soarntz
Last edited by soarntz; Dec 06, 2010 at 06:41 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:12 PM
USA, FL, Safety Harbor
Joined Sep 2000
151 Posts
Ordered the ASK 21 from Hobby Lobby in Tenn. USA and it arrived 2 days later in excellent shape. No weak foam hinges. Used the wing box to store all the parts during 3 day modifications. Stock elevator servo not powerfull enough to overcome wire friction against nylon tubing inside fin leading up to elevator. Replaced servo with 18 Oz/in Blue Bird 377 servo and still no neutral centering so replaced .026 wire with .018 and still not satisfied so went with Spectra 50 lb fishing line. This pulls elevator down against torsion spring made from .018" by 2 inch long with .5" legs torsion spring inserted at hinge line between stab and elevator. It works for my 90 mph DHLGliders so went with this fix. Now elevator returns to neutral position every time even in 60 mph estimated dive pullouts. C.G. is at 50 mm per manual and this equates to 27%.
I'm using Spektrum DX7 AR 7000 RX with 3 position toggle switch to set neutral, 5 degree reflex, and 30 degree reflex. This helps but does not prevent tip stall and does increase drag for getting the ship to descend. With out this crow the ASK 21 behaves like my Multiplex Cularis and tip stalls then spirals. So best see this at an altitude that you can recover. Simply release back stick and let the ship regain flying speed before pulling out of the dive gently. Reducing elevator throw will minimize this problem and I have yet to find the sweet spot on how much is enough. So far very pleased with the 75 watt per pound climbout, RG 15 airfoilol thermalling potential, loops and rolls of this scale looking motor glider. Not as forgiving as the it's sister model Mini Moa but does have an adequate prop/motor/battery combo for most flyers. Measured on AF Wattmeter: 14.5 amps x 11.1 volts. Very good!
VicT is offline Find More Posts by VicT
Old Dec 05, 2010, 02:49 AM
USA, CA,
Joined May 2001
1,744 Posts
Hi Guys,
I am on board for the ASK-21
Joe
Joe Pierson is offline Find More Posts by Joe Pierson
Old Dec 05, 2010, 05:09 AM
Utah
Joined Feb 2007
102 Posts
maiden flight of th ASK-21

Maidened my ASK today in the 30deg Utah weather. This glider flys very well I dare say as good as my molded ones. The motor has plenty of power and I'm at 4700ft ASL. The mods I made are:

Cut out the cross support and shaved the bottom of the canopy to fit my 2200 3s hyperion. The stock 1300 is too light to balance the ASK and when you add the included weight it weighs the same as the 2200.

Glass taped all of the hinges. Mine were tearing like everyone elses.

Taped the leading edge of the wings and the bottom to prevent tears from twigs.

Painted the canopy frame and removed the ART TEC logos.

Over all I'm impressed.
slcrcflyer is offline Find More Posts by slcrcflyer
Old Dec 05, 2010, 08:20 AM
Eden valley England
Joined Apr 2009
183 Posts
Hi How much did you shave off the canopy to get your battery to fit,? and was there still plenty of room for the esc?
Last edited by fellwalker; Dec 05, 2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old Dec 05, 2010, 08:41 AM
Eden valley England
Joined Apr 2009
183 Posts
Has anyone thought about putting a nose wheel on this model ?
Last edited by fellwalker; Dec 05, 2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old Dec 05, 2010, 01:25 PM
Utah
Joined Feb 2007
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fellwalker View Post
Hi How much did you shave off the canopy to get your battery to fit,? and was there still plenty of room for the esc?
I cut the hump on the bottom completely off. Plenty of room for everything.
Old Dec 05, 2010, 01:32 PM
USA, CA,
Joined May 2001
1,744 Posts
Hi Guys,
Who has these is stock?
Joe
Joe Pierson is offline Find More Posts by Joe Pierson
Old Dec 05, 2010, 05:13 PM
Eden valley England
Joined Apr 2009
183 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Would cutting the hump off not weaken the structure?. I suppose if it did a piece of lite ply could be added. I like the idea of putting glass tape on the leadig edge of the wings, it will save a few dents. I will follow you on that one, thanks.
Old Dec 05, 2010, 05:35 PM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
I've designed a website so all Art-Tech Model ASK-21 2 meter owners can order a proper graphic sticker set. These are digitally printed on white Orocal vinyl and can be German, Suisse or UK registration. I've got it set up so you can customize your registration number and tail letters

I do this on the side after hours and will have to get orders submitted in (if anyone is interested) and printed as group order to my vinyl graphics vendor. I will have to give special attention to packaging so the stickers and owners don't get all bent... These are custom made and will take time to produce and ship out. PM with any special requests or future ideas.

http://www.kewlartdesigns.com/

Regards,
Thompson
http://www.kewlartdesigns.com/
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Dec 05, 2010, 05:59 PM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pierson View Post
Hi Guys,
Who has these is stock?
Joe
Hobby-Lobby site is listed due in late Feb.

Modeltech in the UK looks to have them listed, not sure if they are in stock though. Unfortunately, this won't help you in CA, drats!

http://www.modelspeed.net/art-tech-a...lane-372-p.asp

Century UK lists also...
http://www.centuryuk.com/Products/Re...Gliders/ASK+21

I'm not of much help, sorry...

Cheers,
Thompson
http://www.kewlartdesigns.com
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Dec 05, 2010, 11:58 PM
Utah
Joined Feb 2007
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fellwalker View Post
Thanks for your reply. Would cutting the hump off not weaken the structure?. I suppose if it did a piece of lite ply could be added. I like the idea of putting glass tape on the leadig edge of the wings, it will save a few dents. I will follow you on that one, thanks.
Clear packing tape on the leading edge and bottom, glass tape on the hinges. The canopy is still strong as ever.