SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 21, 2010, 05:38 PM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
This is an amazingly well built foam sailplane for the price. If it flies as good as the reports say it does the looks combined with flying will be my favorite for sure.

I was able to finally get my box open and dig into the model's contents. Out of my three 2m foam sailplanes (Parkzone Radian, ST Models DG-1000 and this Art-Tech ASK-21) the ASK-21 wins hands down with build quality, foam finish, looks and overall strength.

I guess I was lucky and my rudder was still attached to the fuselage.

Items that stand out to me upon inspection

Fuselage
Pluses +
- Well designed prop spinner and folding prop hardware
- Ease of access to outrunner motor for future replacement
- Very accessible radio contents and battery area
- Three mounts for the canopy; a snug front foam locator stub, center locking pin (similar to DG-1000) and rear magnet.
- Nice control hardware
- Really nice landing gear and foam wheel
- Strong tail boom section
- Reinforced plastic elevator connector
- Thick rudder at TE and stout control horn

Minuses -
- Mold pressed rudder hinge is so thin that it can be easily broken
- Canopy acetate lacks detail covering the glue that adheres this to the foam, needs white vinyl or paint to cover
- Canopy acetate is very thin in places, feels like it might flex under wind pressure

(NOTE: before removing any more of ASK-21 contents I set about to strengthen the rudder hinge right away with fiberglass tape - the foam is pressed that thin!)

Wings
Pluses +
- Long internal spar tube for wing joining rod (goes past outer wing supports)
- Aluminum wing joining rod with dihedral already bent into it
- Plastic inserted wing supports on wings and fuselage, nice attachment system even if it requires some trimming
- REALLY strong outer wings with wire supports imbedded into the foam on the underside.
- Nice flush servo covers

Minuses -
- Aileron hinges need clear 3M tape on top and or bottom, foam is pressed much to thin here as well.
- I'm not an ASK-21 wing expert, but the TE profile looks to be a tad wavy. I'll try to straighten with 3M clear tape
- The factory applied stickers are applied with little care. The cuts in the stickers that are near the ailerons are in the way of each other.

Elevator
Pluses +
- Really strong plastic support for the control horn AND the TE - very nice touch!
- Thick TE on the elevator, nice for foam, carrying the loaded surface over the whole TE length

Minuses -
- OMG, the pressed foam hinge is worse on mine than the reported broken rudder hinges! Quick fix of fiberglass tape and 3M clear tape, all is well.

Charger
- Nice AC plug for charging at home and not 12V only in the field, unfortunately only an AC plug...
- Adjustable AMP setting 0.1 - 1.0 A

(NOTE: not sure I'll use this, however, it might be nice to have the ability to charge my 3S packs a home)

Battery
- Cell matched with hand written results for each cell (3.84 v)
- Deans connector

My first modification was to remove all factory stickers, sorry Art-Tech these just don't cut it. After this, you have a very nice bare sailplane ready for some fantastic scale detailing. The proportions of everything are just right on this model.
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Last edited by studioRS; Nov 21, 2010 at 05:55 PM. Reason: added some details
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2010, 08:08 PM
USA, FL, Safety Harbor
Joined Sep 2000
151 Posts
Excellent pics and review of DG600. Was going to order a Tower Hobbies Blaze but have a bunch of hotliners and no scale foamy motorglider. Have 10 flights on my buddy's Hobby City Mini Moa and like the gull wing looks and speed range but don't want to wait for back orders and motor replacement with a BP $11 low KV moter. Is the DG motor a BP bell type outrunner or something more modern?
VicT is online now Find More Posts by VicT
Old Nov 21, 2010, 08:15 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicT View Post
Excellent pics and review of DG600. Was going to order a Tower Hobbies Blaze but have a bunch of hotliners and no scale foamy motorglider. Have 10 flights on my buddy's Hobby City Mini Moa and like the gull wing looks and speed range but don't want to wait for back orders and motor replacement with a BP $11 low KV moter. Is the DG motor a BP bell type outrunner or something more modern?
This is the motor for the Art-Tech ASk-21 I photographed above.

Art-Tech
http://www.art-tech.cn/english/Artic...?ArticleID=309

The ASK-21 is available from Hobby-Lobby
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/ask_21_gl...33999_prd1.htm
Old Nov 22, 2010, 07:10 AM
I have Imajinary Airplanes
7 Miles from Turkey Hill Slope, PA.
Joined Mar 2003
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fellwalker View Post
Hi guys, Does anyone have a bit of a fight to attatch the wings to this model , I find it quite a struggle to get the servo wires in the right place to allow the wings to sit flush with the fuz, Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Bill.
First of all, I used servo extensions, then I cut away some of the foam in Fuse where wing attaches.
I'll try to take a picture of how I did mine and post tonite....
soarntz is offline Find More Posts by soarntz
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:23 AM
Eden valley England
Joined Apr 2009
185 Posts
Thanks Soarnts, a piccy would be a great help . Regards. Bill
fellwalker is online now Find More Posts by fellwalker
Last edited by fellwalker; Nov 22, 2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:43 AM
Eden valley England
Joined Apr 2009
185 Posts
After the rudder falling off and then one of the elevators came off, which is an easy fix after learning how you guys did it, I am now faced with the final problem of how to get the wave out of the trailing edge of the wings. I did think of fixing very thin carbon fibre strip down the edge but I dont know how much weight that would add,I think the weight of the epoxy would be more than the carbon fibre. Bill
Old Nov 22, 2010, 08:40 PM
Joined Mar 2003
656 Posts
Here is a picture of where I removed foam to allow for the aileron servo wires to fit under wing. The gray wire is the long antenna lead of the AR500 Rx. You will note a different )blue) servo. I thought the included elevator servo was defective and replaced it. Turns out it was not.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 08:03 AM
Eden valley England
Joined Apr 2009
185 Posts
Thanks Soarntz for taking the time to post the pic. Regards. Bill.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:59 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
Yes, thank you for the ref. photo of the servo wires, very nice!

Here's the PDF of the graphics, can choose German or Suisse registration markings. I should have the first set of stickers soon.

Happy Holidays, enjoy!

Cheers, Thompson
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:27 PM
aka Schleppmeister
PA
Joined Feb 2006
1,931 Posts
Very nice. How much for the German version?

http://iflytailies.jimdo.com/
iflytailies is offline Find More Posts by iflytailies
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:38 AM
Eden valley England
Joined Apr 2009
185 Posts
HI Iflytailies, Do you have any problem with a wavy trailing edge on your ask21, and if so, what did you do about it.? Regards. Bill
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:53 AM
aka Schleppmeister
PA
Joined Feb 2006
1,931 Posts
I did not check for waves. Or at least they are not that apparent that they stand out to me. How "wavy" are they? If it's just a little, I would not worry about it for now and test fly the ASK to see whether the waves really have any bad influence.

We have done lots of crazy flying with the Easyglider, which is also a foam glider. Lots of waves, dents, and other imperfections. Didn't influence the flying characteristics at all.

http://iflytailies.jimdo.com/
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2010, 06:46 AM
Eden valley England
Joined Apr 2009
185 Posts
No, the waves are only slight so it may be o.k. This is my first foam model of this size and I have always been used to perfectly straight t/e on built up models. Maybe thats why I noticed it more. Thankks for your reply. Bill.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 06:57 AM
Joined Mar 2003
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fellwalker View Post
No, the waves are only slight so it may be o.k. This is my first foam model of this size and I have always been used to perfectly straight t/e on built up models. Maybe thats why I noticed it more. Thankks for your reply. Bill.
I expect you will be fine and the plane will be too. Any chance you will be able to maiden tsoon? I am, as I said before, impressed with the flight performance of this model! I am really looking for opportunity to fly at local Slope!

Alex, did you fly your ASK at "Chickies" yesterday?
Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:32 AM
aka Schleppmeister
PA
Joined Feb 2006
1,931 Posts
No, didn't want to fly by myself
RCG Plus Member