HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2010, 11:41 PM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflytailies View Post
Will you offer the graphics to the public for sale, of course?

http://iflytailies.jimdo.com/
Absolutely! I will need to design these graphics proper and researching photos is key. So, with this in mind if you guys have images found of ASK-21's, please post them in the thread.

Most of all the real ASK-21's use very subtle graphic applications and have very little on them. Some overall themes are blue, others red, then of course one would need to specify what country you want to have your call letters labeled from, ie "HB-1078" from Suisse, or "D-" Germany, etc. I'm not so sure it is necessary to have the underside of the wings visible from thermal distance on this model and I'm striving for a more scale appearance, using the correct typeface is very important to me as well. I hope to be able to get a head start on the design before my ASK-21 arrives from Hobby-Lobby. The graphics I design for mine will be from Germany.

After arrival, I'll be able to correctly scale them to the actual model and get my pre-production set printed. With my Parkzone Radian and ST Models DG-1000, they both use different foam and release agents on the molds, I've found that the vinyl I print on Orocal from Germany works very well on sticking to both. I'll have to see what Art-Tech uses.

Here are some shots of the stickers set I designed for my similar ST Models DG-1000.

studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2010, 05:37 AM
I have Imajinary Airplanes
7 Miles from Turkey Hill Slope, PA.
Joined Mar 2003
656 Posts
Nice Graphics there, I flew my ASK yesterday in about a 10 - 12 MPH breeze, sometimes more. It seemed like mostly "Wave" lift, though i there was one flight where I was able to "circle" in some good lift. I continue to be impressed with the flyight performance of this plane. A glider only version with a tow releas would be fun and a nice way to introduce "Scale" aerotowing to people.

Dave
soarntz is offline Find More Posts by soarntz
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:31 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
Thanks for the kudos on the DG-1000 graphics, with all the fuss over the fragility of the ST Models DG-1000 sailplane - burning ESC's, servos not working, collapsing RMS, lack of build quality and lack of parts support through Tower Hobbies, it might stay as a scale model, hanging from the ceiling!

I'm patiently awaiting my ASK-21 delivery thank you for the flying report, any videos (Dave, found the video posted by Alex), photos or trim notes are appreciated. I'm planning to use my DX6i and AR500.

Cheers, Thompson
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:46 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,956 Posts
Nice graphics, Thompson!
Woodstock 1 is online now Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:30 PM
Eden valley England
Joined Apr 2009
183 Posts
ask 21

Hi Does anyone know what the best deflection would be for the tail on this model. When the model finally arrives it will be my first sailplane. What should I look out for. Thanks in advance. Bill.
fellwalker is offline Find More Posts by fellwalker
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:36 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanscho View Post
Nice graphics, Thompson!
Thank you! ASK-21 scheduled for arrival tomorrow! I'm going to get my scale graphic elves working overtime gents.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:52 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fellwalker View Post
Hi Does anyone know what the best deflection would be for the tail on this model. When the model finally arrives it will be my first sailplane. What should I look out for. Thanks in advance. Bill.
I'm scheduled to receive my ASK-21 tomorrow. My guess would be a few power off glide tests first, if at all might determine whether you need any deflection added. "soarntz" and "iflytailies" can better support that request. Honestly, I'm sure it will be good to go as is.

As for what to look out for...
- On my first sailplane (and first all foam RC plane ever) my Radian 2m which is R/E only they have a tendency to loop over on full throttle with a hand launched take-off. Best to hand launch at 1/2 throttle or 2/3rds then adjust as needed in flight.

- My Radian floats down the runway like there is no tomorrow and I need a long final before deciding to land.

- Maiden with no wind or very little. The videos and reports show the ASK-21 to be rock stable. I flew my Radian in 16+ mph gusts the other weekend and it was a handful trying to keep a wayward beer cooler level on several low fly by passes.

- I'd make sure you also gain enough altitude so you are at least a min of 3 mistakes high. By the looks of the two videos so far (one from Hobby-Lobby pilots) and the other from our own in-house expert scale pilots on the forum, the ASK-21 looks to be incredibly stable and float well too.

- I'd love to offer more insight but will wait until tomorrow night after I open the box
Old Nov 17, 2010, 01:47 PM
Eden valley England
Joined Apr 2009
183 Posts
Thanks Studiors, Regards. Bill
Old Nov 17, 2010, 03:12 PM
aka Schleppmeister
PA
Joined Feb 2006
1,930 Posts
I am using the stock setup. It came with 2 lead pieces. I put one right after the the motor. Therefore, I had to use uptrim since the glider was a little nose heavy now. I am planning to use 3S-1550 lipos without the lead and hope that the balance will be just fine then

iflytailies is offline Find More Posts by iflytailies
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: S.E.5a Cockpit
Old Nov 17, 2010, 07:00 PM
I have Imajinary Airplanes
7 Miles from Turkey Hill Slope, PA.
Joined Mar 2003
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fellwalker View Post
I Found the elevator response at full deflection to be more than needed (Ilytailes did not) I decreased it to about 80% and added Exponential. It would be fine if I decreased even more but I likely won't unless I would remember when I go to fly again. As for elevator with motor on . At full throttle I have to give a good bit of down elevator to achieve a gradual climb. I do not always climb at full throttle. If you have a radio that allows you to mix down elevator with throttle stick movement, you could do that. I find it just as easy to add elevator myself.

I am pretty impressed with this plane ... it flies well and seems to be made in a durable way.

You say that this is your first sailplane, do you have much Radio Control flying experience with other type of aircraft?
soarntz is offline Find More Posts by soarntz
Old Nov 18, 2010, 09:30 AM
Eden valley England
Joined Apr 2009
183 Posts
Hi Saorntz ,And iflytailies for your replies, Yes I have quite a bit of stick time on power models, but I think a sailplane would be a whole new ball game for me. I collect the model tomorrow. I was going to buy the Radion pro but saw the ask 21 on this forum and it looked a bit more scale like than the Radion pro. The videos looked great and you guys seem very happy with the model , so here I am, about to become the proud owner of the ask 21 lol Regards. Bill.
Last edited by fellwalker; Nov 18, 2010 at 09:33 AM. Reason: add comment
Old Nov 18, 2010, 09:52 AM
aka Schleppmeister
PA
Joined Feb 2006
1,930 Posts
Not long and you will get a bigger glider. It's addicting

iflytailies is offline Find More Posts by iflytailies
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: S.E.5a Cockpit
Old Nov 18, 2010, 12:11 PM
Eden valley England
Joined Apr 2009
183 Posts
I hope its not to addictive, Ive spent enough over the years, lol. Its the start of winter over here so it may be a while before I get to test fly it. The plus side on that, it wont be addictive if it remains in the box . LOL. Happy flying Guys.. Bill
Old Nov 18, 2010, 09:07 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
My ASK-21 arrived today from Hobby-Lobby, nice large box still haven't had time to open this up. Time to get after the proper scale graphics! Look for loads of photos soon.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:51 AM
Eden valley England
Joined Apr 2009
183 Posts
ask

I collected my ask 21 today too, we had a lovely day here , I enjoyed the journey to the model shop and back. My mate came with me for the ride, he took a few pics while we were on the move . Bill