SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 01, 2011, 12:05 AM
Utah
Joined Feb 2007
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soarntz View Post
Whoaaaa.... that;s a pretty extreme event Nver experienced that problem with this or any other Foamy ARF
You should check out all of the posts about the art-tech minimoa melting firewall's. I know it is a glider but come on that is poor quality I should be able to take any RTF and full throttle the motor till the battery dies before any over heating or melting happens. This is the only two planes in the 20+ years of flying this has happened to. Oh well I think I have it fixed now (made a firewall with plywood and vented the spinner). Both air frames (ASK-21 and minimoa) are fantastic and do fly very well.

I did happen to contact the good people at www.hobby-lobby.com and they did replace the motor, speed control, and fuse for me Now that is what I call excellent customer service I will be a customer for life.
slcrcflyer is offline Find More Posts by slcrcflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2011, 12:26 AM
Utah
Joined Feb 2007
97 Posts
Here is a video of the minimoa maiden

Art-Tech Minimoa with FlyCam One HD (5 min 3 sec)
Old Mar 01, 2011, 12:05 PM
I have Imajinary Airplanes
7 Miles from Turkey Hill Slope, PA.
Joined Mar 2003
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcrcflyer View Post
You should check out all of the posts about the art-tech minimoa melting firewall's. I know it is a glider but come on that is poor quality I should be able to take any RTF and full throttle the motor till the battery dies before any over heating or melting happens. This is the only two planes in the 20+ years of flying this has happened to. Oh well I think I have it fixed now (made a firewall with plywood and vented the spinner). Both air frames (ASK-21 and minimoa) are fantastic and do fly very well.

I did happen to contact the good people at www.hobby-lobby.com and they did replace the motor, speed control, and fuse for me Now that is what I call excellent customer service I will be a customer for life.
Good for them and good for you too..... That is great customer service!
soarntz is offline Find More Posts by soarntz
Old Mar 01, 2011, 08:19 PM
Joined Dec 2010
9 Posts
HEy Guys,
I have just purchased the 13 foot (four meter) comp ask 21. Im not really a glider guy but a buddy has a 112" electric Ported and we have been towing my modified gentle lady and having a BLAST.
This thing is AWESOME, fully detailed cockpit, tow release, spoilers, etc etc.
What would you all say its worth?
invertedlowpass is offline Find More Posts by invertedlowpass
Old Mar 05, 2011, 08:23 AM
United Kingdom, England, Malpas
Joined Mar 2011
43 Posts
Hi Folks - New to here but not to forums

Having just moved home to a nice rural place in Cheshire, N.W. UK I find there are no short grass flat field sites nearby.

I currently own and fly a "Sparky 400"

And 2 Herr "Lil Extra" (semi scale Extra 300) 1 is converted to LiPo Electric and one has a Thunder Tiger 09 in it. Pic =

I wanted summat that was not as light and floaty as the rudder steered Sparky400 but not as fast and twitchy as the Extra, plus with the ability to land on a farmers field.

I was just about to click "BUY" an ASK21 complete RTF from -> http://www.modelspeed.net/art-tech-a...lane-372-p.asp as it might be a good machine for my requirements and farmers field type flying sites.

However on reading this (very informative) thread I am wondering if it might be a bit fast and not enough of a "soaring" bird ?

Any comments appreciated

Regards to all.

John in the N.W. UK

ghost123uk is offline Find More Posts by ghost123uk
Old Mar 05, 2011, 08:44 AM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,364 Posts
Greeting John,

If you are truly looking for a slow soaring sailplane that can land really anywhere (and even can be hand caught because it floats so well) I'd suggest the Radian.

MoF, all EPO foam planes are relatively slower flying that glass fuselage sailplanes. My ASK-21 is one of several foam sailplanes that are a next step up in my learning curve with control features and levels of speed.
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Mar 06, 2011, 05:24 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,364 Posts
Getting this thread back on topic to the ASK-21...

I finally had some time to get my new HK pilot nestled into the ASK-21. I tried to remove the thin lexan canopy but it didn't seem to want to come off at all - this glued on very, very well.

Rather risking a torn up canopy trying to remove it, I opted to cut a square of foam out and insert the pilot from below. Had to sacrifice a paint brush by cutting it in half to paint the little area that I did. Glued a small strip of birch ply underneath, trimmed out some foam, painted with some flat grey, printed out the instruments, spray glued them on and just taped the bottom up. The pilot fits like a top.
Last edited by studioRS; Mar 06, 2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2011, 04:28 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,364 Posts
After deciding to cut the foam out and install the pilot from below, it became obvious that any painting of the canopy was going to be very limited at best. I decided to just paint the seat area and instrument binnacle grey using a cut-in-half brush and call it done.

After I buttoned the pilot up in the canopy, I checked HK parts for additional pilots (I have one of the "UltraDetail Scale Glider Pilot - Light Blue (55x80x44mm)" ) and found the DG-1000 canopy listed for these little guys as a spare part. They only painted the center seat section grey and left the rest white - kewl!

Last edited by studioRS; Mar 07, 2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 02:13 PM
Utah
Joined Feb 2007
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioRS View Post
Getting this thread back on topic to the ASK-21...

I finally had some time to get my new HK pilot nestled into the ASK-21. I tried to remove the thin lexan canopy but it didn't seem to want to come off at all - this glued on very, very well.

Rather risking a torn up canopy trying to remove it, I opted to cut a square of foam out and insert the pilot from below. Had to sacrifice a paint brush by cutting it in half to paint the little area that I did. Glued a small strip of birch ply underneath, trimmed out some foam, painted with some flat grey, printed out the instruments, spray glued them on and just taped the bottom up. The pilot fits like a top.
Looks great! Will you give us a link to the pilot.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 03:09 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcrcflyer View Post
Looks great! Will you give us a link to the pilot.
This is the pilot I used, purchased from HK.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15215

There are several other Ultra Detailed (55x80x44mm) pilots that will fit too.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15216

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15439

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15438
Old Mar 08, 2011, 04:06 PM
Joined Mar 2003
656 Posts
StudioRS: Really nice job on the pilot, I am envious of your creativity. BTW, the decals wen on fine and look nice. The scale pilot would really look nice.However, I have too many things to do on the Fiberglas Scale ships to devote time to this Foamy. That being said, this is one nice Foamy.

Thanks again, Dave
Old Mar 08, 2011, 08:12 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soarntz View Post
StudioRS: Really nice job on the pilot, I am envious of your creativity. BTW, the decals wen on fine and look nice. The scale pilot would really look nice.However, I have too many things to do on the Fiberglas Scale ships to devote time to this Foamy. That being said, this is one nice Foamy.

Thanks again, Dave
Awe shucks, thanks Dave! I guess I'm just a scale sailplane enthusiast on a foam budget. Glad you enjoy the sticker set.
Old Mar 09, 2011, 04:55 AM
Joined Mar 2003
656 Posts
That was well said StudioRS.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 06:27 AM
United Kingdom, England, Malpas
Joined Mar 2011
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost123uk View Post
Hi Folks

I wanted summat that was not as light and floaty as the rudder steered Sparky400 but not as fast and twitchy as the Extra, plus with the ability to land on a farmers field.

I was just about to click "BUY" an ASK21 complete RTF from -> http://www.modelspeed.net/art-tech-a...lane-372-p.asp as it might be a good machine for my requirements and farmers field type flying sites.

However on reading this (very informative) thread I am wondering if it might be a bit fast and not enough of a "soaring" bird ?

Any comments appreciated

Ah well, somewhat inspired by the vid posted by iflytailies, I have ordered one from Modelspeed.

I opted for the Complete Ready-To-Fly 2.4Ghz version as it is only about 30 dearer (at 160 inc delivery) than the one with no TX/RX.

Might fit my Futaba RX and TX to take advantage of the "extras" (mixing etc) but will try it first with the supplied 2.4Ghz kit (or at least I think I will = comments invited...)
ghost123uk is offline Find More Posts by ghost123uk
Last edited by ghost123uk; Mar 12, 2011 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Changing prices to more accurate value
Old Mar 10, 2011, 11:40 AM
I land with enthusiasm
Lima-Peru
Joined Aug 2004
634 Posts
new with this kind of plane

Hi guys, you really inspired me to go with this plane, just ordered one from HL, let see if it flys as you all said. HEHE
werner
Arck is offline Find More Posts by Arck