SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 08, 2010, 10:21 AM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
@Bill and Eric - I have to say, both you gents are making this thread very entertaining, good holiday banter. Keep it up.

Cheers, Thompson
http://www.kewlartdesigns.com
Custom ASK-21 Scale Sticker Sets
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2010, 01:21 PM
Eden valley England
Joined Apr 2009
195 Posts
I dont know about a ballasted hem Eric, but I do know they make a deducted fan unit for keeping you cool in the summer. The battery is kept in the sporen and it has been known for some folk to use a to powerful fan unit and they have taken off over the mountains never to be seen again. Around that time there were sightings of u.f.o.s . I have my own theory on that one.
fellwalker is offline Find More Posts by fellwalker
Last edited by fellwalker; Dec 08, 2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2010, 02:51 PM
Eden valley England
Joined Apr 2009
195 Posts
If there was a need to replace a burnt out motor on the ask21, how would it be done? . Bill.
Old Dec 08, 2010, 03:16 PM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fellwalker View Post
If there was a need to replace a burnt out motor on the ask21, how would it be done?. Bill.
Bill, This is just a guess... I just looked at the insides of mine (applying my sticker set ) and possibly the method might be to open canopy look into where the motor is attached with the three nuts. Remove the small circlip at the end of the motor shaft, then the propeller and spinner would slide off?
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Dec 08, 2010, 05:55 PM
Eden valley England
Joined Apr 2009
195 Posts
Thanks for that. Ive been looking at the motor but at first didnt notice the circlip, I think you are right on that one. Its 15 F below here at the moment.Im off to bed now with a large whiskie. Thanks again . Good night for now. Bill
Old Dec 08, 2010, 07:13 PM
I have Imajinary Airplanes
7 Miles from Turkey Hill Slope, PA.
Joined Mar 2003
656 Posts
Yes, I remember "dodging" Tumbleweeds while stationed in Del Rio Tx.. Cold and windy in the winter there too.
soarntz is offline Find More Posts by soarntz
Old Dec 08, 2010, 07:25 PM
Niantic, CT
Joined Aug 2009
25 Posts
It would appear that a larger sporen is indicated. A much larger sporen!
GADonkey is offline Find More Posts by GADonkey
Old Dec 09, 2010, 09:11 AM
Eden valley England
Joined Apr 2009
195 Posts
A final word on the kilt Eric,I did some research on the kilt, and someone did indeed produce a kilt with a weighted hem. A long time ago, a well built man with a red weather beaten face, his name was Hamish Mc Tavish, he was walking his pet haggis, who went by the name of little Jock, along the shore of loch ness ,when little Jock caught sight of the loch ness monster on the far side of the loch, little Jock got such a fright he made off up into the mountains. Poor Hamish went in search of little Jock, and after many hours of searching was finally reunited with little Jock. He placed little Jock in his sporran and decended back to the shore of the lock. It was a very hot day and not a good day for climbing mountains so Hamish decided to cool ofF by having a swim in the loch. forgetting about the weighted kilt, Hamish jumped into the loch but soon realised he was being pulled under by the weight of the kilt. He quickly released the kilt and as it made its way down to the depths of the lock, Hamish scrambled to the shore and made off before he could be arrested. So what became of little Jock ? I here you ask. Some say he was so embarressed at seeing his master without a kilt, he ran off ,never to return . Other people say he went down with the kilt, remember, he was in the sporran. The following day a group of Japanese tourists took a boat trip on a nessie hunt, not long into the trip there was a shout of excitement as one of them saw nessie. Sure enough there was nessie looming out of the mist. There was something different about nessie though, yep, he was wearing a kilt. The other strange thing that was never seen on nessie before, was a small round fatty lump on nessies back. some say it was little Jock, and nessie had rescued little Jock from the sporran when he found the kilt, and little Jock had decided to stay with nessie to keep him company for saving his life. They would have great fun together diving under the water every time a camera was pointed at them. LOL
Last edited by fellwalker; Dec 09, 2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old Dec 09, 2010, 09:48 AM
Hobbs, NM
Joined Sep 2003
102 Posts
No way, Bill. With a boat-load of Japanese tourists, there'd have been photos. I have a good deal of experience teaching Japanese tourists how to fly gliders, but couldn't have done it successfully in an ASK-21. The language barrier required tactile instructional techniques (e.g., tapping one shoulder for "turn ref-, Nobuo;" the other shoulder for "turn righ-"; and pounding that first shoulder vigorously for "you ozzer ref-, damnit!" The instructor would need a broom handle to pull that off from the ASK-21's back seat (although Blanik instructors have been known to stash a length of steel tubing on the floor in the rear cockpit for purpose of reconciling communications failures). Anyway, never once in my recall did any member of these student pilot's families appear outdoors without a camera, and I attest to having been immortalized on countless yards of Fuji film.

Eric
GlideAngles is offline Find More Posts by GlideAngles
Old Dec 09, 2010, 03:32 PM
Eden valley England
Joined Apr 2009
195 Posts
ask 21

Hi Guys, As you will remember, the ask 21 is my first sail plane. I know next to nothing about about electrics. The ask 21 tells me all I want to know because eveything is in place and working as it should, so no problems there . But I would like to know a little more about the e.s.c.. Whats the programmeing all about ?, and why do I need a break , or no break. I know this may sound silly to you Guys, but I just dont know anything about electric flight. I did read up on lipos and how to care for them, I wanted to play safe with those kind of things. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Bill.
Old Dec 09, 2010, 05:28 PM
Hobbs, NM
Joined Sep 2003
102 Posts
Everything you want to know, but were afraid to ask (lest somebody tell you) can probably be found here:

http://www.ezonemag.com/pages/faq/index.shtml

...in the EZone FAQ's. Page down to section 5 for the FAQ's on ESC's. In short, "break" (brake?) slows or stops propeller rotation long enough for the blades to fold when you close the throttle, thus reducing the drag of a windmilling disc. You want brake ON to improve gliding performance with the power off. Without brake, you might be able to slow the glider enough to fold the prop, but that speed is commonly found at or below stalling speed, which is not a real efficient use of energy transitioning to gliding flight. I program the brake OFF on things I want a steeper glide from in the approach to landing, and not usually on gliders or other things I mean to land on their belly.

Eric
Old Dec 09, 2010, 06:08 PM
Eden valley England
Joined Apr 2009
195 Posts
Thanks Eric, Bill.
Old Dec 09, 2010, 10:06 PM
Hobbs, NM
Joined Sep 2003
102 Posts
Motor changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by fellwalker View Post
If there was a need to replace a burnt out motor on the ask21, how would it be done? . Bill.
The plastic nose cowl on mine has two small holes just forward of the firewall. Too small for cooling, I suspect they provide access for the smaller of two included hex wrenches to loosen one or more internally wrenched set screws that secure the motor's bearing tube in the motor mount... Just guessing.

Eric
Old Dec 10, 2010, 07:35 AM
Eden valley England
Joined Apr 2009
195 Posts
Hi Eric, you could be onto something there, there must be a way to do it. I think I read somewhere that the motor was easy to replace but cant remember where I saw it. Bill
Old Dec 10, 2010, 10:46 AM
Hobbs, NM
Joined Sep 2003
102 Posts
CofG

I cut the bridge out of the cockpit area of my ASK-21 and flew it yesterday with a 3Sx1800mAh lipo, moving the CofG forward to 44mm aft of the wing leading edge. Wind was 14 - 17 knots, and I like the handling much better: It's noticeably more stable in the pitch axis; less prone to porpoising and less "pitchy rolling in and out of turns. It takes a little more push on the stick to keep it flying level when inverted, but still has enough pitch authority to outside half-loop back upright with power on. Anyway, my comfort level was much improved, and I even managed a couple of decent-looking rolls. As to rolling with power on, don't be surprised to find torque effects helping the ASK-21 get around to the left: The rate is slow going either direction, but you'll notice it's slower to the right.

Cheers,
Eric