SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 31, 2010, 09:14 PM
aka Schleppmeister
PA
Joined Feb 2006
1,930 Posts
Mini-Review
ASK-21 from Art-Tech

Although I categorized this thead "Build Log", there is very little to do to complete this model. But let's start at the beginning:

This is a 78-3/4" wingspan ASK-21 by Art-Tech. It's made of EPO foam and available from Hobby-Lobby as a receiver ready version. I orered the RTF version, which is no longer available from Hobby-Lobby.

Here is what the box looks from the outside

http://www.iflytailies.com/
iflytailies is offline Find More Posts by iflytailies
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by iflytailies; Aug 30, 2011 at 11:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2010, 09:18 PM
aka Schleppmeister
PA
Joined Feb 2006
1,930 Posts
Inside, it will look like this. I ordered the RTF version. When inspecting the contents, I found everything in order except for the rudder. It had separated from the tail and was cut clean at the hinge line. But no big deal - I used some tape to attach it back on.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: S.E.5a Cockpit
Old Oct 31, 2010, 09:36 PM
aka Schleppmeister
PA
Joined Feb 2006
1,930 Posts
Deans connectors have already been soldered to the ESC. The canopy hatch is quite long. This is great since you can access the whole area from the nose cone to the trailing edge with ease. This product comes with a 20A ESC. During flight it got warm which was to be expected since there are no stock cooling holes. But since most pilots will not run the motor constantly, this should be no problem. There is an aluminum rod going from where the CG is back to the tail to increase strength of the fuselage. The servos are for elevator & rudder.

The wings are pretty stiff, too. The have been reinforced with carbon tubes from the root to where the servos are. Under load, they flex a lot less than comparable foam models. As you can see in the video later, you can do some aggressive aerobatics, and the wings won't mind. The aluminum wing rod is stock and comes with the dihedral bent like this. A nice feature is that the foam on the wingtips has been bent down. This will protect the wing better during landings. The elevator is held to the tail with one screw.

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by iflytailies; Aug 30, 2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 09:43 PM
aka Schleppmeister
PA
Joined Feb 2006
1,930 Posts
This is the stock radio. Included are also the lipo balance charger, wall charger, and 3S-1300mAh lipo. A great feature of the lipo is that the cells have been matched and balanced at the factory. Some basic tools to assemble the model are also included. The white rectangular item in the lower right corner is the hatch that will be screwed to the top of the wings to hold them to the fuselage.

The manual explains the few steps needed to assemble the glider. No glue needed. Read the manual for yourself...

RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 31, 2010, 09:46 PM
aka Schleppmeister
PA
Joined Feb 2006
1,930 Posts
And here is proof that this ASK-21 does fly well for what you pay for

ASK-21 from Art-Tech (1 min 52 sec)

RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2010, 11:32 PM
Gold Coast Australia
Joined Sep 2010
254 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I have the Artech Diamond 2500,the Minimoa and a ST ASW 28.
ASW28 has been retired "worn out"
Love the Diamond but nice to have something that little bit smaller that you can quickly
pull out of the wagon. This looks nice.
20amp speedy though ? is it a 2 cell set up.
How does she fly on this in a bit of a breeze and do the ailerons have seperate servos.
Tanks
Tony
Biggles51 is offline Find More Posts by Biggles51
Old Nov 08, 2010, 06:17 AM
aka Schleppmeister
PA
Joined Feb 2006
1,930 Posts
It comes with a 3 cell 1300 lipo. Yes, one servo per wing. We flew the ASK at the slope yesterday in 10mph wind with no problem. It's an RG-15 airfoil, so it will handle a wide speed range. Wings are well reinforced, don't flex. There is an aluminum tube in back of fuse for stability. Very happy with this model the way it flies. Climb at full throttle is at least 60 degrees
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: S.E.5a Cockpit
Old Nov 08, 2010, 03:26 PM
Eden valley England
Joined Apr 2009
182 Posts
ask 21

p.sHi, I have just orderd the art tech ask 21 and have found your thread very interesting , thank you . I fly on the high open moorlands in Cumbria England and most days it is quite windy up there. Would the ask 21 fly in winds greater than 10 mph, Thank you. Regards. Bill. click for a bigger pic
fellwalker is offline Find More Posts by fellwalker
Last edited by fellwalker; Nov 08, 2010 at 03:28 PM. Reason: add info
Old Nov 08, 2010, 04:15 PM
aka Schleppmeister
PA
Joined Feb 2006
1,930 Posts
yes. You might even try to add a little ballast for high wind days

RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2010, 09:24 PM
Gold Coast Australia
Joined Sep 2010
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflytailies View Post
It comes with a 3 cell 1300 lipo. Yes, one servo per wing. We flew the ASK at the slope yesterday in 10mph wind with no problem. It's an RG-15 airfoil, so it will handle a wide speed range. Wings are well reinforced, don't flex. There is an aluminum tube in back of fuse for stability. Very happy with this model the way it flies. Climb at full throttle is at least 60 degrees
Thanks for the reponse, would go easy on WOT though with 20 amp speedy
on 3 cells. Have you put a watt meter on it by chance.
Looks like a Xmas present to onceself.
Only problem is the two margins (importer and retailer) for Art tech planes here in Oz makes them real expensive and the importer hasnt got them in yet.
Might try my contacts in Hong Kong.
May I ask what you paid for it in the US
Cheers
Tony
Biggles51 is offline Find More Posts by Biggles51
Old Nov 08, 2010, 09:40 PM
aka Schleppmeister
PA
Joined Feb 2006
1,930 Posts
it's $199.99 for the RTF version, $169.99 for ARF with everything but Tx and Rx.

Temp. of the ESC was fine, we didn't fly full throttle all the time, and didn't use throttle all the time. It glides well, so there is time for cool down. Might add cooling holes for summer, but would have to test temp in a couple months when it gets hot again.

RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2010, 08:02 AM
Eden valley England
Joined Apr 2009
182 Posts
ask 21

Thanks for your reply. Regards . Bill.
fellwalker is offline Find More Posts by fellwalker
Old Nov 09, 2010, 05:08 PM
I have Imajinary Airplanes
7 Miles from Turkey Hill Slope, PA.
Joined Mar 2003
656 Posts
OK, flew this plane at the Cumberland SFF this past weekend. The planes flies very well. Looks "scalish" in the air. I flew in both Thermal and Slope conditions. early in th e morning while winds were light, I tossed the ASK up and out over the Valley. No slope lift but the DLG guys were circling in small thermals. I headed over and actually "Hung" with them.... NO LIE! The ASK also Penetrates well in wind on the slope, this is likely due to the RG-15 airfoil. I'd say it's a winner if you are looking for a relatively inexpensive and smallish plane to fly at the slope OR thermal. I look forward to flying at the local slope. If the motor wears out, perhaps I'll put a tow release in and Aerotow!

Dave
soarntz is offline Find More Posts by soarntz
Old Nov 09, 2010, 05:16 PM
Joined Mar 2003
656 Posts
Regarding ESC ... I would like if if there were some info on whether or not there is a set voltage that the motor shuts off, allowing more soaring before landing. If you run motor till it is almost spent, you will need to land soon after that. Alex, any insight on this. I will not run battery down that much till I know the answer. If need be, i would replace the ESC with one I can set a cut-off voltage.

When I connected the battery and motor to watt meter the current draw was 15 amps on a full charge.

Dave
Old Nov 09, 2010, 05:40 PM
Joined Mar 2003
656 Posts
Just finished with Hobby lobby tech support Chat. The tech support rep stated that the motor cutoff occurs at 3.2 volts. I think I'll try to land before that! Gonna look in my box of stuff for something I can set a higher cut-off voltage.