9,743 Posts
Nothing going on out there?
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2012, 10:20 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,743 Posts
Nice night for a little flying with the blue bomb. No problems and very enjoyable.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 08:31 PM
United States, PA, Clarks Summit
Joined Oct 2005
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
Nice night for a little flying with the blue bomb. No problems and very enjoyable.
Yea Jack, I've been enjoying my blue bomb as well. I know that the easy control and stability that this type of setup gives you would be boring for some but it is just a pleasure for me. Plus less crashing and less problems if any, just more fun flying
bebev is offline Find More Posts by bebev
Old Jun 06, 2012, 05:45 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,743 Posts
I only fly in my backyard, so, I don't go nutso with it. I just had two HUGE pines taken down and that gives me an extra 30 feet on one section of the yard. That opens up a lot of room and it's good enough for what I do. I have to go off to a field to fly my Champ plane and that can be a pain. By the time the wind dies down in my area, it's already 8PM. Add drive time and it can be a pain.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:50 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,743 Posts
This thread might be more of an interest to MANY if there was a decent build sheet of parts and costs as well as a decent write up on a common build. BY the time all of the mods have been done, you are left with a heli that is neither a CX nor a Lama, so, saying it's a conversion process can be misleading.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:28 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,743 Posts
Bump. Nobody interested?
Old Jun 27, 2012, 09:41 AM
Joined Jun 2012
278 Posts
Hey whats up! I just got int flying my cx2 after years of sitting on the shelf not being able to, crashed a few times and gave up, picked it up one day and poof I could do it. Now I love to fly it and 3 sets of stock motors later I want to go brushless. I see I'm late to this thread and havn't even read the whole thing but this is what I gather, correct me if i'm wrong and let me know if there is a better starting point. I just wanted to post quick before the thread totally dies. Seems you need a dd mixer board, 2 brushless esc's, what 7-10a each, and 2 brushless motors, the only ones I have seen are the wow hobbies ones, are there others? I saw the wow hobbies kit but would really like to eliminate the 3 n1 unit from e-flite. O right and I have a spare gyro laying around that worked great on a trex 250. Thanks for any help in advance!
Gregco10 is offline Find More Posts by Gregco10
Old Jun 27, 2012, 09:48 AM
CP heli ≠ 3D heli
United States, NJ, Point Pleasant Beach
Joined Mar 2009
1,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregco10 View Post
Hey whats up! I just got int flying my cx2 after years of sitting on the shelf not being able to, crashed a few times and gave up, picked it up one day and poof I could do it. Now I love to fly it and 3 sets of stock motors later I want to go brushless. I see I'm late to this thread and havn't even read the whole thing but this is what I gather, correct me if i'm wrong and let me know if there is a better starting point. I just wanted to post quick before the thread totally dies. Seems you need a dd mixer board, 2 brushless esc's, what 7-10a each, and 2 brushless motors, the only ones I have seen are the wow hobbies ones, are there others? I saw the wow hobbies kit but would really like to eliminate the 3 n1 unit from e-flite. O right and I have a spare gyro laying around that worked great on a trex 250. Thanks for any help in advance!
You can do what I did, get the brushless motors from hobbyking, a coax mixer and a couple of cheap ESCs, this should work with pretty much any $10 gyro. I have it in detail a few pages back, even a flight video with my brother as a pilot. In hindsight, converting a coax to brushless is not the best investment in the heli world, at least for me, since the money could be better spent to get a far more interesting to fly heli in the air.
Gedexas is offline Find More Posts by Gedexas
Old Jun 27, 2012, 03:13 PM
Joined Jun 2012
278 Posts
Going to check it out and start reading, thank you! I agree there are more interesting things, I have a 450 cp that Im getting good with and a quadcopter in the mail, I still love my cx2 tho, since it is my first heli and Ive had so much fun with it. Also in the house my helimax cx nano is great fun. Just want to get it to the point where I can just pick it up and fly with less issues.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 04:57 PM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,527 Posts
contact Sven alias erdnuckel2 and get a GA250 gyromixer from him... I guess those who tried that agree that it provides the best bl flight performance. A good bl coax is fun indoors (and outdoors, but outdoors you are probably better off with your 450). Have fun.
OlliW is offline Find More Posts by OlliW
Old Jun 27, 2012, 08:05 PM
Joined Jun 2012
278 Posts
Cool thanks!
Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:34 PM
United States, PA, Clarks Summit
Joined Oct 2005
168 Posts
Brushless/Boardless

Gregco10, if you plan on keeping and flying your cx2 long term and want it to be the best that a cx2 can be, then upgrading it to a brushless system with the GA250 gyromixer would be the way to go. I have done so because of my age and my flying being restricted to outside in my backyard requires the added power, more solid and precise manuverability that this type of system offers. Compared to the stock configuration it's a very relaxing, pleasurable, and just a joy to fly heli.
Unfortunately this type of upgrade does come at a cost and only you can decide if it is worthwhile or not.
You can check my blog for the details of my heli: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=76991

Bern
bebev is offline Find More Posts by bebev
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:58 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,205 Posts
Good points Bern. These conversions aren't for the cheap or the faint of heart. And the OlliW gyromixer is The way to go with these. But once done, the converted heli is an absolute pleasure to fly. Especially on 3s.

Sorry guys, I have been overwhelmed with other builds for a while and haven't had time to check in. I just finally recieved two new motors for my own CX brushless from HK and am in process of rebuilding my little bird. I already stuffed new ceramic 4x8 flanged bearings into the outer shaft supports in the Carbonfibre frame, soldered the bullet connectors into the Turnigy 1811-2900 brushless motors, and moved the main shafts into the correct position. I should have my little beloved coax up and finally flying by this evening. Kinda happy.
The reason I went with ceramics is I happened to have an order full of them I was shipping out for a custom raised tail that Helihaven produces. This eliminates the right hand skid dip on CP helis. And I field tested his prototypes. Now I am in love with them, and am having one built for my new 12s 600 fbl stretch.

Thanks for chimin in OlliW. Been meaning to pm you soon. I am now going to begin programming one of the Ga250s for the newest 450 sized dual swashed version. My new grip pins are done and I can finally complete the heads so I can run the 360mm blades. Since you provided the newest easier software programming procedure I need to bone up on the specifics a little before getting started.

I may pull up your build thread on these here on RC groups from the archieves and get started soon if you are game for this?
KJ, as soon as I can I will revamp the begginning of this thread with updated build specifics and links. Alot of the old stuff is no longer avialable or the procedures have been scrapped.
And you are correct in many ways. All that is left when finished from the original Coax is usually the frame, and even then the plastic ones are kind of crappy as a base for these due to frame flex. So really in the end we are building a totally custom coaxial. I guess if you wanted you could throw the CX2 or the CX3 shell on and fly. But those are somewhat bulky.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Jun 30, 2012, 08:28 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,743 Posts
The original intent of doing this was to get away from regular brushed motors in the absence of the Aero-Nutz. I guess somebody finally realized they were throwing away a market for 180 size heli's, so, they've finally started taking orders again. I'm sure a nice write-up and help from this thread will still attract those who want to go brushless, but the need isn't there like a few months ago.
I have an evening job now that has gone from 3 days to 4 to 5. Between work and wind, I haven't flown anything in a few weeks.
It's hotter than all get out around here and worse down South. Rain is almost non- existent. Keep the shades down and the air on!
Old Jul 01, 2012, 06:30 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,205 Posts
Been raining non stop up here in the northwest. I would gladly trade this for some heat. My drain field flooded last week it got so bad. I had to have my tank pumped. It happened the same day a custom stretched 6s heli I built for a friend came down in flames. In fact, he is sending me a brushless coax to work on this week as the parts are too small for him to get at.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis