HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2012, 04:59 PM
depronman
bergerac, FRANCE!!
Joined Feb 2009
50 Posts
hello has all, that is there, mine is finished (finally)! he flight really well, I still seeks best the cg for thermics!!
lolofly24 is offline Find More Posts by lolofly24
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2012, 10:18 PM
whatgoesup
USA, NY, Woodbury
Joined May 2010
445 Posts
Lolofly24,

Congratulations on completing your new BOT sailplane. I see that you kept to your original plan to make it with a four piece wing and a motor.

I like the colors.

Good luck flying it.

Trevor
Powerbud is offline Find More Posts by Powerbud
Old May 07, 2012, 02:14 AM
depronman
bergerac, FRANCE!!
Joined Feb 2009
50 Posts
thank you powerbud, yes, I was held has a wing in 4 parts, and the engine + the spinner propeller ( heavy nevertheless) with a 2200mah 3s, I am very right with the cg 100mm! no weight of added
Old May 12, 2012, 05:55 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolofly24 View Post
hello has all, that is there, mine is finished (finally)! he flight really well, I still seeks best the cg for thermics!!
Beautiful Bird, Lolo, and a very clasical and nice BOT covering with a more modern construction tech... cool, really cool, my best apreciation. I build mine more than 30 years ago, and was finished very similar to yours. Now I plan to do again a e-motor conversion. Please can you tell me what motor-prop-speed controller and battery brand, servos and all that stuff you used and flying report...?.
Tx for granted.
Manolo.
ultimatetwo is online now Find More Posts by ultimatetwo
Old May 12, 2012, 01:19 PM
depronman
bergerac, FRANCE!!
Joined Feb 2009
50 Posts
hello dear manolo, thank you very much of tone post, that pleases me really! yes, I notice the BOT one that you made on your photograph, and is indeed its double!! superb also, here , it s my equipment to motorize the animal!! (I specify that with this material, I do not add any weight to find the good CG: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9449 ,http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11618, http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10346, http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8934 and for propeller, it s a 13x5 folding , do not hesitate has to ask me another information,
Old May 12, 2012, 01:22 PM
depronman
bergerac, FRANCE!!
Joined Feb 2009
50 Posts
oh, sorry........................................; the spinner!!!:http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19018
Old May 13, 2012, 09:24 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,087 Posts
Tx very much again, ,for that fine info.... wishing a fine maiden flights if you didn´t yet and please if you may, report some news about flying and pics of the inside of your Bird too ....
Tx again for granted.
¡¡¡¡¡ Buena suerte...¡¡¡
Best regards...
Manolo.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 08:39 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,574 Posts
Why not bring that BOT to the LISF field June 23 and 24 and fly it in the Eastern Soaring League contest? We have 29 pilots registered.

Remember this is unlimited class so anything that can be launched from a winch can be flown. Moldies and bagged wings are common among the experts, but we see woodies and even foam among sportsman and Novice. I have seen some pretty impressive flights wtih an Easy glider with excellent landing points too.

So, there is no reason to hold back. Time to fly! And don't foget to bring your friend who has never flown an away contest. He will have a great time.

If you can’t make both days, you can register for only one. That is fine.

You register for the ESL web site here and that makes you an ESL member. – No cost!
http://www.flyesl.com/Profile/tabid/...2fContest.aspx

Then you log-in and register for the contest here:
http://www.flyesl.com/Contest.aspx?contestid=34
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jul 06, 2012, 09:51 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,087 Posts
Hi buddies, my new E-Bot is almost ready to finish the frame . I did some mods, like installing one servo operating each spoiler , transparent canopy with floor and some inside details, triangles spars on the fuse corners so I could round it a little more, some mods on the elevator bushing and screws wing mounting ....
This beautiful thread was a fountain of inspiration on this project. Thanks very much to all users....
By the way, more info of my BOT and Jack Caldwell´s AR1-Freedom slope glider on this spanish thread. Also, mates, any kindy addicional info of these both sailplanes are welcome.... Tx for granted.
Sorry for couldn´t go to that contest buddy, but it was a little far from home. Hope things went fine.

http://www.miliamperios.com/foro/aer...n-t194179.html

Manolo.
Last edited by ultimatetwo; Jul 06, 2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 06:57 PM
whatgoesup
USA, NY, Woodbury
Joined May 2010
445 Posts
Hello Manolo,

I can see you are a very good worker of wood.

I am interested to see how your BOT is constructed and how your BOT looks completed. I am also interested in how your BOT flies for you.

Regards,

Trevor
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:07 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerbud View Post
Hello Manolo,

I can see you are a very good worker of wood.

I am interested to see how your BOT is constructed and how your BOT looks completed. I am also interested in how your BOT flies for you.

Regards,

Trevor
Tx very much for your kind words Trevor. Just take my time doing final touchs before covering like finishing spoilers set-up and some canopy details....
For me, sometimes I use the canopy interior like a dioram, to tell a story if you prefer..., a flight for the fantasy. I imagine Dave, the BOT designers at controls flying his own creation between clouds meanwhile he is just reading Omar Kheyham´s Rubayat poems and got the inspiration for the name of this glider....

Best regards.
Manolo.
Last edited by ultimatetwo; Jul 08, 2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 11:00 PM
Santa Rosa, Northern CA, USA
Joined Oct 1999
2,472 Posts
Hi Manolo,

Your 2nd BOT, the E-Bot is looking very nice.

I like the dual servos and P- magnets for hold down on the spoilers. I need to modify some of mine to PM magnets - with the adjust screw. I have been using "old school" rubber bands or springs. (Rubber bands a pain because they get old - and springs, that work "almost OK".)

I would like to suggest that you fiber glass the bottom of the spoilers - to keep them from warping with time. Just a thin layer of glass cloth or carbon works wonders over the years. Either epoxy or ca will work - but thin epoxy is easier. Trim cloth when the epoxy is still soft.

I am very lucky to own two of Dave T's original BOT's. Both built by Dave before he sold kits or sold the rights to the BOT. He donated them to me before he left town - as we flew together often. Very nice guy.

Happy Landings,
Dave
Daveairway is offline Find More Posts by Daveairway
Old Jul 09, 2012, 04:07 AM
whatgoesup
USA, NY, Woodbury
Joined May 2010
445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatetwo View Post
For me, sometimes I use the canopy interior like a dioram, to tell a story if you prefer..., a flight for the fantasy. I imagine Dave, the BOT designers at controls flying his own creation between clouds meanwhile he is just reading Omar Kheyham´s Rubayat poems and got the inspiration for the name of this glider.....
I see. The book is a subtle way of introducing a piece of the history of the Bird Of Time into your build that is sure to generate interest. A clever and nicely executed detail.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 04:59 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,087 Posts
Tx very much again for your kind words, Trevor and Dave.... A neat idea about glassing the spoilers inner side. Actually what I planed to do was to cover the spoilers by both faces. My Aquila is still flying, and she is even older than the first BOT, maybe 32 o 33 years, don´t remember for sure and also, doesn´t remember any problems about warping . Just cover both faces as said and checking for warps at the same time. But, of course, every decade or so, I tear off all the monokote , redone the covering job again and paint the wood glassed fuse, check perhaps for new radio gear, and ready to go again.
Anyway, Dave I`m going to follow your idea and glassing the spoiler..., soon I will upload pics...Tx again for your interest and support buddies.
Manolo.
Last edited by ultimatetwo; Jul 09, 2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:25 PM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Jun 2001
1,088 Posts
Manolo, very nice work, and I really like the scale touches you are adding to the model! (I like scale models)

It's a fun design, and excellent performance as well.

Dave, it won't be long now... we should be moved back to Santa Rosa (Kenwood) by Oct. Let's go flying!!!

John
John Cole is offline Find More Posts by John Cole