SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 31, 2010, 04:07 PM
Go Faster!!
San Diego, CA
Joined Apr 2004
544 Posts
New Product
***Introducing the NEW 60" Molded JW***

I have good news! Bill and I built and flew the new 60” molded JW on Saturday 10-30-10. The build was super quick and easy. We met at the shop at 10:30 am, worked a few hours, had some lunch, fooled with the new linkages and cg for about another hour and then headed up to Blossom Valley for the maiden flight. The big day had finally arrived! The final AUW for this first, (light) JW was about 50 ozs. The DS versions will be at least 20-30 ounces heavier. When we arrived at the hill the wind was light, about 10-15, but there were several other gliders in the air so we knew there was enough lift for the first flight. We carefully measured the cg and placed it about an 1/8” forward of what a typical foam JW is. The first launch was perfect and the plane lifted into the air with ease! We noticed that the new molded Dub required a lot of down trim. We landed the plane, strapped about 1 oz of lead to the nose and launched it again. This time the new molded JW felt perfect! Bill and I flew for another 15 minutes and called it a day with a perfect landing on soft straw. We ended our afternoon with a well deserved HIGH FIVE! We think everyone will love this new bird.

I want to thank Steven Seim from CyberModelle, www.CyberModelle.com, for doing an awesome job with all of the cad work. We sent Steven the original 2D dimensions that Pat Bowman came up with for the JW as well as the airfoil that Joe Wurts tuned specifically for this molded JW. Steven proceeded to take all this data and whip up a large portion of CAD magic to create the 3D art work for the final design.

Here are a few of the finer points that were used in developing the new molded JW.

1. The total fuselage volume has been dramatically reduced while still keeping the same overall length.

2. The airfoil section has been further tuned by Joe Wurts to be appropriate for a fully molded aircraft. The airfoils do not consist of straight lines between coordinate points, Steven rendered them as fully contiguous curves ideal for modern machine carving.

3. The geometry of the wing has been fully restored to the exact dimensions and sweep angles called for by Joe Wurts, which wasn’t possible up until now with EPP foam and wire cutting.

4. There is a elegant full chord fillet (top and bottom) that blends the fuse into the wing. The end result is a rock solid wing mount without and rocking. The wing mounts just like an opus but it’s upside down so there is virtually no load on the wing bolt for positive G maneuvers. We have not tried it yet but I think a nylon bolt will be a good option for lighter conditions.

5. The radio gear mounts through the bottom of the aircraft up into the nose, a configuration that keeps the aggregate aircraft very clean.

6.The aircraft is designed for utter simplicity. Build time is about 3-4 hours and that’s with a 1 hour lunch break!

7. The new molded JW will be made available in at least 2 versions. The first version will be a light one for front side and mild DS. The second one will be a heavier one for ballistic front side and heavy DS.

8. The plane comes apart into 2 pieces for easy transportation.

9. The servo drive system is a top drive bottom hinge setup. The wing accepts full size servo’s with a flush mound cover on the bottom and a small fairing on the top.

We look forward to receiving our first production run, and will keep you all posted!

We are headed up to Blossom again today for more testing....
Jason Lilly is offline Find More Posts by Jason Lilly
Last edited by Jason Lilly; Nov 01, 2010 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2010, 04:21 PM
ERS....Energy Retention System
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,567 Posts
NICE work guys , way to go !!!!!!! Carn't wait to see a DS version wound UP..... 300mph plank record

Tim
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Oct 31, 2010, 05:02 PM
A dream will find you
North Bend Washington
Joined Oct 2004
138 Posts
Thank you

Thank you Jason and Bill. A pleasure.

Jason your ask to access the fuselage interior from the bottom of the aircraft was/is most clever. Positive loads will be well distributed. You've got a slick and polished finished structure that also facilitates a very short build time.

The best to L2.
StevenSeim is offline Find More Posts by StevenSeim
Last edited by StevenSeim; Oct 31, 2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 05:07 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,711 Posts
I will take the first one, Bill won't mind
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Oct 31, 2010, 06:07 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,244 Posts
Sick.
screamin' eagle is online now Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Oct 31, 2010, 07:11 PM
San Diego
Joined Apr 2003
4,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogance View Post
I will take the first one, Bill won't mind

Don't think so

B
Bill L is offline Find More Posts by Bill L
Old Oct 31, 2010, 07:29 PM
San Diego
Joined Apr 2003
4,281 Posts
We will be ordering 15 planes 5 with the current layup and 10 with the heavier DS layup in the next few days.

We are also working with a European distributor so more details to come.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 08:01 PM
Go Faster!!
San Diego, CA
Joined Apr 2004
544 Posts
The second day of testing went well today. We are still adding more nose weight little by little.
Jason Lilly is offline Find More Posts by Jason Lilly
Old Oct 31, 2010, 08:15 PM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,497 Posts
Love the no load upside down wing idea !!! Very cool.
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
Old Oct 31, 2010, 08:17 PM
San Diego
Joined Apr 2003
4,281 Posts
action shots

Action shots, going to try and post some video later
Old Oct 31, 2010, 08:20 PM
San Diego
Joined Apr 2003
4,281 Posts
More pictures
Old Oct 31, 2010, 08:31 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,711 Posts
Great shots, it has a very streamlined fuselage. I think it is fantastic to have them made with a light and heavy layup option since the design is so versatile. Way to go.
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Nov 01, 2010, 05:29 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2003
1,228 Posts
You guys nailed it with this one! Really nice looking work, that wing fillet looks perfect! I can't wait to get some of these! A molded JW is a dream come true. Love the fact that you can easily remove the fuselage to make packing the truck easier...

On another note:
Jason, I think you need to have a talk with Bill about his throwing form
sll914 is online now Find More Posts by sll914
Old Nov 01, 2010, 06:22 AM
ERS....Energy Retention System
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,567 Posts
LOL i like it spencer , i think it brings out Bills feminin side

How did you go with the vid , right way up yet ?????

Tim
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Nov 01, 2010, 06:57 AM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll914 View Post
A molded JW is a dream come true.
No kidding!... I have dreamed of such an animal for a very long time.

That is just amazing to see. Way to go guys
KingOfTheHill is offline Find More Posts by KingOfTheHill