HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 31, 2010, 01:54 PM
Registered User
zwevert's Avatar
Utrecht, the Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
19 Posts
Discussion
Multiplex Cockpit SX camber changing, four-flap

Hi there,

I fly four-flap gliders. With the SX it is possible to program a fixed value for flap (chapter 14.11.2 of the manual)

My question is; how do I get the ailerons to work as flapperons and move down like the flaps in a 'thermal' flight phase.

In the Mixer menu only the following values are flight phase specific;
AI-AI
AI-F
FIX F

But not the F-AI! That's the one I need be able to change the ailerons in the three Flight Phases.
Am I missing something? Would resetting the Tx make a dfiference?

Hope you guys have an answer, thanks..
zwevert is offline Find More Posts by zwevert
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2010, 07:08 PM
mostly gliders
liukku's Avatar
Skellefteå, Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwevert View Post
Hi there,

I fly four-flap gliders. With the SX it is possible to program a fixed value for flap (chapter 14.11.2 of the manual)

My question is; how do I get the ailerons to work as flapperons and move down like the flaps in a 'thermal' flight phase.

In the Mixer menu only the following values are flight phase specific;
AI-AI
AI-F
FIX F

But not the F-AI! That's the one I need be able to change the ailerons in the three Flight Phases.
Am I missing something? Would resetting the Tx make a dfiference?

Hope you guys have an answer, thanks..
Hello zwevert

I had the SX but it is along time ago, so, sorry if this post gets a little messy, because I both read the manual and try to remember simultaneously.
I quote the manual with blue text

You can not have dynamic flap control and FIX F at the same time in the same flight phase.
If you want dynamic flap control (ailerons and flaps) in the different flight phase it might be better not to engage the mixer Fix F and use Dual Rates for the ailerons (ailerons and flaps) instead.

You must use almost all mixers in the SX when you have a complicated 4 servo wing, and of course you must asign the model as model type: Glider.

TIP: before you start setting the mixer inputs, adjust
and correct the mechanical linkage to the control surfaces
(neutral position and maximum travels).
The next step is to set the control servo exactly to centre
“electronically” using the SERVO CENTRE menu,
and to set identical maximum deflections in the SERVO
TRAVEL menu.
Only after this should you dial in the individual mixer
inputs. This is important, as you will only be able to set
equal movements for all the control surfaces if the basic
set-up is correct.


You must dial in servo travel value for all the wing servos in the different mixer´s, A-A, A-F, F-F and F-A ( I leave out the other mixer´s for the sake of clarity).

example.
Dial in flapthrow for the aileron, see 14.5.4.

Changing wing camber (Flaperon)
Menu: (MIXER) F ->AI
In this menu you set the travel of the ailerons when the
FLAP control (left-hand slider) is operated. Two values
have to be entered, because the ailerons can be raised
(speed setting) and lowered (launch, thermal setting)
from the neutral position.


In all three flight phases you can set different values for
the following:
• Dual-Rate D-R - 14.9.1.
for AILERON (DR A), ELEVATOR (DR E)
and RUDDER (DR R)
• A -> A mixer (please note that you only set the rudder differentiation here)
varying differential - 14.5.2.
• A -> F mixer (please note that you only set the rudder differentiation here)
varying differential - 14.7.3.
• Fixed value for wing camber FIX F - 14.11.2.


But you must remember that the mixer "FIX F" is flight phase-specific and that both the ailerons and flap is included in this mixer, (both ailerons and flap can serve as flaps or ailerons)

Note: FIX F is flight phase-specific
If flight phases have been activated, you can switch
between three positions for the inboard and outboard
flaps using the PH switch (- 14.10.).


I really hope this messy post will help you.

/Ville
liukku is offline Find More Posts by liukku
Last edited by liukku; Oct 31, 2010 at 07:58 PM. Reason: adding info
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 01, 2010, 04:28 PM
Registered User
zwevert's Avatar
Utrecht, the Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
19 Posts
Tanks Ville for your comments/ brave attempt,
It's not messy, it's just that MPX could have make it easier Iif only more mixing options would be phase specific. I hate to say that after 2 hours I can still not get these ailerons to work as flapperons in Fl Phase

You wrote;
Quote:
But you must remember that the mixer "FIX F" is flight phase-specific and that both the ailerons and flap is included in this mixer, (both ailerons and flap can serve as flaps or ailerons)
This is the problem; how do I get the ailerons fixed to the flaps?
Did you manage to get (during your SX preriod or should I say phase) to change the camber for both te flaps and the ailerons with just one switch movement??

Tomorrow I will start to investigate the 'free mixers chapter 17.

Greets, Jacco
zwevert is offline Find More Posts by zwevert
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 01, 2010, 04:55 PM
mostly gliders
liukku's Avatar
Skellefteå, Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwevert View Post
Tanks Ville for your comments/ brave attempt,
It's not messy, it's just that MPX could have make it easier Iif only more mixing options would be phase specific. I hate to say that after 2 hours I can still not get these ailerons to work as flapperons in Fl Phase

You wrote;


This is the problem; how do I get the ailerons fixed to the flaps?
Did you manage to get (during your SX preriod or should I say phase) to change the camber for both te flaps and the ailerons with just one switch movement??

Tomorrow I will start to investigate the 'free mixers chapter 17.

Greets, Jacco
Hello Jacco
Oh yes, as I remeber it it was so simple to setup. If I only had the transmitter in my hand...it is done in a snap.
I will come back unless someone else gets to answer before.
And one thing is for sure, you don´t need any free mixer.

/Ville

ps.
Try to start with a new "test model" and remember to disable the flight phase to begin with. Also disable the Fix F for both ailerons and flap servos by dial in 0%. See if you can get the F-A to work. It should work perfect.
That´s my tip for now.

ds.
liukku is offline Find More Posts by liukku
Last edited by liukku; Nov 01, 2010 at 05:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 02, 2010, 03:47 PM
Registered User
zwevert's Avatar
Utrecht, the Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
19 Posts
Breakthrough

Hello Ville
Finally I've cracked the SX! This was a good tip of yours;
Quote:
ps.
Try to start with a new "test model" and remember to disable the flight phase to begin with. Also disable the Fix F for both ailerons and flap servos by dial in 0%. See if you can get the F-A to work. It should work perfect.
Now I know why it wouldn't work. I tried to program F-AI after I had activated Phases. It should be;first F-AI than Flight Phases.

It might be a bit strange fiddling with a switch for 15 minutes now, watching 4 flaps reacting to it.

Thanks again for your trouble!
Jacco
zwevert is offline Find More Posts by zwevert
Last edited by zwevert; Nov 02, 2010 at 03:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 02, 2010, 04:33 PM
mostly gliders
liukku's Avatar
Skellefteå, Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwevert View Post
Hello Ville
Finally I've cracked the SX! This was a good tip of yours;

Now I know why it wouldn't work. I tried to program F-AI after I had activated Phases. It should be;first F-AI than Flight Phases.

It might be a bit strange fiddling with a switch for 15 minutes now, watching 4 flaps reacting to it.

Thanks again for your trouble!
Jacco
Hello Jacco
That was good to hear. I think that the SX is the absolutely best 7-ch radio
you can buy. A radio easier to program, you'll never find.
How it works for the helicopter I do not know, but to us who fly regular glow planes and sailplanes it is perfect.
I will definitely get a new 2.4 GHz SX when I can afford. The one I had was 35 MHz.
I used my SX both as a backup for my P4000 and Royal Pro9, but also as main radio F3K gliders.

Good luck in the future.

/Ville
liukku is offline Find More Posts by liukku
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Cockpit sx set up ( not 2.4 ) mrdoodah Hand Launch 14 Sep 20, 2010 03:35 PM
Discussion Multiplex Cockpit SX 2.4 GHz Model Memory Lost EuroDriver Radios 0 Sep 19, 2010 09:45 AM
Discussion Camber Changing Airfoils ForeverFlying Sailplane Talk 4 Sep 13, 2010 07:58 PM
Discussion Multiplex Cockpit SX Butuz Radios 249 Mar 17, 2010 12:31 PM
Discussion multiplex Cockpit SX radio?? KOMET 44 Hitec/Multiplex USA 1 Jul 29, 2006 03:25 PM