HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2010, 06:47 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,379 Posts
Where did the CG end up? Congratulations on sorting it all out!

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is online now Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2010, 09:29 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,622 Posts
I like Chris's type of postal contest better. I don't know about your post offices, but I don't always have so much faith in ours . . .

The balance point was good very slightly nose up on the main spar(about where Scott's most forward suggestion was). The interesting thing was that with it here, when I cut power off completely, the model pretty much maintained the same attitude, and just slowed down into a glide. I've moved the balance so that I'm very slightly nose down on the main spar now, I think this will be about where I'll be happiest.

The weather is cool and wet at the moment, and I have relatively little time off for the next while, but I can't wait to take this one up again!

Owl
owlsabie is offline Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Dec 11, 2010, 10:37 AM
Amarillo
Joined Aug 2009
21 Posts
Do you have a pic of the battery installed?

Paul
paulmont1719 is offline Find More Posts by paulmont1719
Old Dec 11, 2010, 11:18 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,622 Posts
Battery Instalation

OK - this is a little embaressing - with my eventual maiden damage, the former got split, and I haven't repaired the battery door properly

Anyway - I'm using a Flight Power evolite (I think thats what its called) 1345mah 3 cell, and it just happens to fit perfectly under the dash. I'm planning on going to a 2 cell of the same size, as the RPM really isn't needed here . . .

At the moment its held in with hinge tape over a piece of balsa - maybe I'll do something about this just now . . .
Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:29 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,622 Posts
Oops!

Got in three flights with the Tomboy this evening - and even got a thermal - I didn't realise that this could happen. I like thermals The trim was much better, except at random moments it wanted to go left all of a sudden. Unfortunately I over controlled during one of these episodes, and the right wing snapped at the end of the dihedral brace. The wing is not bad, but the front end is history.... but I can fix this! It was still a little unstable as far as roll goes. I used the free flight dihedral, could this be the problem, or am I just over controlling? Either way, A cunning plan has occurred to me, I'll post the progress later

Owl
Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:44 AM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,788 Posts
Yikes, you have a bit of work to do, sorry man.
Love the Rover, wish I had one of those for plowing snow.

Bill
williame3590 is online now Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Dec 23, 2010, 02:26 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
NorthBend/Coos Bay,Oregon USA
Joined Dec 2009
1,492 Posts
Bummer I am sure you can fix it! And NICE Rover! I guess that is perfect for Africa. Everyone who saw "Daktari" or "Born Free" when they were kids wanted a Land Rover bush truck

Scott
orange&white is offline Find More Posts by orange&white
Old Dec 23, 2010, 02:29 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,622 Posts
cosmetically challeged

I've extended the nose a little and changed the structure a bit, as it was not practical to rebuild it per plan. I also wanted to move everything forward so that maybe I don't have to add weight. Also raked the undercarraige forward (Because I felt like it). The top of the nose is now cosmetically challenged, but after the successfull re maiden I'll attend to that.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 04:39 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,622 Posts
Ready to try again

Done. C.g. right, logitudinal balance right. Added some washout to the tips. Hopefully up we go tomorrow again
Old Dec 23, 2010, 06:06 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
Joined Dec 2009
1,492 Posts
I like it It had to much red on the wing anyway Landing gear is way better now. Try using less rudder throw to tame it, my Tomboy will roll easily with 10mm rudder deflection.

Scott
Old Dec 24, 2010, 10:34 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,622 Posts
With the throws reduced its a dream! The flight was much more predictable, the glide good and I even pulled off a smooth landing with someone watching! Unfortunately the second landing wasn't so good and the wheels came loose, but thats my fault for not glueing them in properly last night. The forward rake on the u/c works well - the grass is thick and long and it just rolled right in (or maybe I just landed better).

Changes I made : reduced throws (rudder was about 4cm each way...), the nose is 2 cm longer, the u/c raked forward, dihedral reduced a bit and wing strengthened, washout on wing tips, and a no name 8x5 prop instead of my usual APC 8x6

I'm happy with this plane now

Happy christmas again to everyone all over the world, I hope it is a great year, that your fuses build straight, your landings are soft, and the weather great for flying

Al
Last edited by owlsabie; Dec 24, 2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 01:19 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
Joined Dec 2009
1,492 Posts
Merry Christmas Owl
Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:05 PM
"Butchering Balsa since 1971"
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,054 Posts
Congrats on getting your Tomboy right, Owl..sometimes this vintage stuff is a bit more work than hobby, but when you get her right, it's more than worth it..
Merry (belated) Christmas and a very happy New Year!!
Cash
CashRC is offline Find More Posts by CashRC
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:55 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,622 Posts
Thanks Cash! And merry xmas to you too! I tackled the whole RC thing in completely the wrong way, in that I bought a plane and then learnt to fly largely on my own. The whole building thing came about because I figured if I worked my way through the "eras" of flight, I would learn to fly better. Fun fly and aerobatic planes are good - but if you are a novice they bite back and hard!

So - I'm never quite sure if a plane gives hassles because I can't fly it, or because I've got it set up wrong. Things are definately improving though, the only problem being that I enjoy the building as much as the flying.

Thanks to all the advice and encouragement here and over by scale electrics the whole process has become a pleasure I also guess that although I'm learning the hard way, I probably get more flying experience with a maiden that doesn't go well, but the plane survives than I would with something docile anyway.

Al
Old Jan 09, 2011, 06:46 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,622 Posts
Took the Tomboy to the field today - it flew, but not great although the glide was now good. I'm very very close - just needs some tinkering. I think the banana shaped fuse on mine may have something to do with it! The breeze was a little strong for my SimpliStick, so perhaps I'm not being really fair. Anyway, got my "christmas" break looming, so I'll be playing a lot hopefully