HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:31 AM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
Man, you are flying thru these builds! Looks nice! I'll watch for the maiden.

Now that you have these all finished, you'll have time to finish that gyro!
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2010, 02:18 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
NorthBend/Coos Bay,Oregon USA
Joined Dec 2009
1,492 Posts
Really nice work Owl, I bet it will fly great

Scott
orange&white is offline Find More Posts by orange&white
Old Dec 04, 2010, 08:01 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,803 Posts
Maiden

We had a nice thunderstorm earlier, and in the heavy air after the storm I decided it was time - particularly as no one in their right minds would be out on the waterlogged fields, with parts of the access road under water.

Although it was by no means windy, there was a bit of breeze at times, and it kept changing direction. One of my friends suggested that wind can be your friend, and is something one can use, and as it was only a light breeze I decided to go ahead.

The first take off was OK - but the plane rolled one way, then the other, then climbed and dived, and it was still low Somehow it came to rest right way up. I checked the controls, that nothing was loose or binding, that everything was firmly attached and tried again. Same story - I just couldn't get anything vaguely resembling level flight!

I tried several more times with using less power on take off, more expo, smaller throws, no expo, more power, and was having no luck. By this stage the u/c was working loose (no perfect landings and thick wet grass) but otherwise everything was still intact.

This was impossible - how could such a popular aeroplane be such a pig?

Oh - and the glide consisted of a stall with a spin ( to either side)

Then the penny dropped. I added 15g of nose weight and mover the c.g. forward a bit.

Because the u/c was becoming very doubtfull at this stage I'm afraid I behaved like a hooligan, and goosed the throttle as soon as we were rolling. The climb was spectacular, and this time at least I managed to get a little altitude. Turns were still frightening, and the elevator was very sensitive, but at least I could trim it out a bit, and I probably did circuits for about 5 minutes. The landing was unfortunate in that it was in a hole that was covered with grass - the u/c was now really loose (as was my ankle and knee when I stepped into the hole - the grass was cut level over the top. Like a tank trap)

By this stage there were intermittent gusts coming from different directions, I was covered in mud, and had run out of cigarettes - but I knew I was close.
The plane (except for u/c) was intact.

So - I added another 10g to the nose, and waited for a gap between gusts and nailed the T$%$&%. What a surprise - it floated off the ground, went into about a 60 degree climb with the wings level! Determined that I was either leaving with a flying plane or I was going to kill it I took her up nice and high. What a pleasure! Still a bit sensitive, and the dummy v8 went flying, but a pleasure to fly. The wind was all over the place up there, but I actually enjoyed it! Ever see a plane fly backwards? I brought her down (decent landing this time), checked everything again and went up for a last flight. Fantastic! Unfortunately the last landing (although I thought it was OK) was a bit much for the u/c and in fact I finished breaking the former. Nothing that a little glue can't fix, and the weight won't be a bad thing.

In summary, not only have I learned a lot about trimming, but I'm very happy with how it flies. I'm surprised about just how slowly she can float, and in fact cruises well with almost no throttle. It is fun to fly in the wind!

On the way home I stopped by a biltong bar(a kind of dried meat thats very tasty) and asked the lady if I could weigh my aeroplane- she'd never seen an RC plane, and didn't know what to expect! Anyway - with extra ballast and battery etc it weight 420g - I'm guessing this is a bit porky?

So - to build another engine cover, fix the front former and tomorrow, weather allowing, I'll go show it to the club.

Owl
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Dec 04, 2010, 01:14 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,837 Posts
Owl,

Congratulations..you cannot beat a Tomboy

Your club mates will love it I'm sure.

Regards Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Dec 04, 2010, 02:00 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,803 Posts
Thanks Rich!
Old Dec 04, 2010, 02:39 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
Joined Dec 2009
1,492 Posts
Good job Owl

My Tomboy did the same thing until I added some weight to the front. Once you get the cg correct, it will be stable and glide like a stork.
Old Dec 04, 2010, 03:01 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,803 Posts
Thanks Scott! The forecast is rain for tomorrow, but I'm hoping to fly it tomorrow again. I've just noticed some "weathering" - I've got mud streaks under the wings, around the tail and dirt on the tyres.

Once again I must thank everyone for the advice and encouragement, it really makes the whole hobby come alive!
Old Dec 04, 2010, 03:18 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
Joined Dec 2009
1,492 Posts
Owl said:

"I've just noticed some "weathering" - I've got mud streaks under the wings, around the tail and dirt on the tyres."

That's right, like most Tomboys they have to fly, not hang on a wall or sit on a shelf.

A Tomboy is not a hanger queen
Old Dec 05, 2010, 08:31 PM
"Butchering Balsa since 1971"
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange&white View Post
Owl said:

"I've just noticed some "weathering" - I've got mud streaks under the wings, around the tail and dirt on the tyres."

That's right, like most Tomboys they have to fly, not hang on a wall or sit on a shelf.

A Tomboy is not a hanger queen
Ya'll are about to convince me to build one...like i don't have enough projects planned.
Is the Tomboy postal contest planned again for 2011? I might be able to persuade a couple of buddies to build one each and we could take a stab at that. Knowing us, it could be a riot..
CashRC is offline Find More Posts by CashRC
Old Dec 05, 2010, 11:49 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
Joined Dec 2009
1,492 Posts
Building a Tomboy takes a relaxing week, even with out a laser cut kit

Scott
Old Dec 06, 2010, 10:36 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,803 Posts
What's a postal contest?
Old Dec 06, 2010, 03:46 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
Joined Dec 2009
1,492 Posts
A postal contest is where everyone builds the same design and then the model is mailed to where the contest is. At the contest there are other modelers (usually an expert or master modeler) who fly the model in the contest for the missing modeler. Scores are recorded and a winner awarded.
Old Dec 06, 2010, 04:59 PM
United Kingdom, Wales
Joined Feb 2005
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange&white View Post
A postal contest is where everyone builds the same design and then the model is mailed to where the contest is. At the contest there are other modelers (usually an expert or master modeler) who fly the model in the contest for the missing modeler. Scores are recorded and a winner awarded.
Thats not the way it usually works, surely (not in the ones I've been involved in, anyway).

A postal contest is where each participant posts the results of their flights (on trust) and a winner is declared based on these.
Chris Jenkins is offline Find More Posts by Chris Jenkins
Old Dec 06, 2010, 05:52 PM
"Butchering Balsa since 1971"
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris jenkins View Post
thats not the way it usually works, surely (not in the ones i've been involved in, anyway).

A postal contest is where each participant posts the results of their flights (on trust) and a winner is declared based on these.
That's what I understand a postal contest to be, and the way they're run, although i have seen reference to the type of contest Scott's referring to, but I think it might be called something along the lines of a 'proxy" contest, and usually involves small light free-flight birds, like peanut scale, or indoor ships..but I could be mistaken..
CashRC is offline Find More Posts by CashRC
Old Dec 06, 2010, 05:55 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
Joined Dec 2009
1,492 Posts
Or I could be wrong

I was reading a model mag from 1960 about a "postal contest", and the models were mailed to the contest and a (proxy) pilot flew the models that were mailed in.

Scott