HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2010, 05:47 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,536 Posts
My guess is the fuselage lower longeron that has a fair bend in it up front is trying to straighten the fuselage.
That lower longeron needs to be steamed to shape first or better still laminate it from 2 X 3/16x3/32 strips then put into place before the glue sets.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2010, 04:01 AM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,286 Posts
I agree, in fact, it wouldn't hurt to laminate upper and lower longeron.
Greg Knipp is online now Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
Old Nov 06, 2010, 07:30 AM
Newport News, Va
Joined Sep 2004
653 Posts
I am currently building what I am calling Sorta Boy, my tribute to Vic Smeed. It's very much like the Tom Boy but the nose has been extended to accept a 1200 ma 3 cell LiPo and the wing and stabilizer use an I-Beam spar. I used fairly hard 3/16" square framing for the fuselage and the bottom curvature is just like the Tom Boy. It's wasn't easy to force the bottom to take the curvature just behind the firewall.

What I did while the constructed side frames were still 'pinned' to the building board, I misted the entire side frames with water using an atomizer and then let them set overnight before releasing. They released without any distortion! Again the 3/16" square was at least 10 lb balsa. Just think what you could achieve if balsa selected was less then 10 lb density.

Gene
rchopper56 is offline Find More Posts by rchopper56
Last edited by rchopper56; Nov 06, 2010 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Added Photo
Old Nov 07, 2010, 09:08 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,907 Posts
Good ideas - this is the best part of a build thread, all the new things you learn! Thanks for the input guys. Not much done due to ther comitments, landing gear bent and motor mount made
owlsabie is offline Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Nov 08, 2010, 03:03 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,907 Posts
I decided the Tomboy would like good with wheel pants, and I thought an egg would make the perfect mold. So I lubed up an egg, pulled a pair of my better half's stockings over it and applied two layers of epoxy. Unforytunately, instead of a nice hard thin light shell I ended up with a thick heavy rather disgusting thing that looked like a fake nose Oh well, you live and learn. Anyway, no wheel pants for the Tomboy, but I did have ham and eggs for supper.

The front end is pretty much done now, it just needs glueing.
Old Nov 09, 2010, 11:39 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,907 Posts
Nose

Nose glued and motor in place with a little down and right thrust. From looking at other old timer threads, more side and down thrust will be needed, but I'll do this with washers under the motor mount screws. There is plenty of space for the battery directly behind the motor or further aft - I'll check other tomboy threads and see where everything went on other peoples planes. For the moment I'm holding off as I've dug up an 800mah 2 cell tha I would like to use, but I first want to see if its still alive.
Old Nov 09, 2010, 03:01 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
NorthBend/Coos Bay,Oregon USA
Joined Dec 2009
1,492 Posts
Go man go

Scott
orange&white is offline Find More Posts by orange&white
Old Nov 10, 2010, 01:03 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,907 Posts
Not much done tonight - But I think I got the shape close to correct. I've also used 3mm instead of 3/16 (4.76mm) balsa, mostly because I don't have much 4mm, but also because 3mm is plenty strong enough I think.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 02:39 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
NorthBend/Coos Bay,Oregon USA
Joined Dec 2009
1,492 Posts
Looking good Owl, I think your building skills have improved.

Scott
orange&white is offline Find More Posts by orange&white
Old Nov 10, 2010, 06:15 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Aug 2004
933 Posts
Try to keep the tail of your Tb as light as you can.Saves adding weight to the nose later. Looking good.
ColinNZ is offline Find More Posts by ColinNZ
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:31 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,907 Posts
Thanks guys. Stab ready to assemble, but its weekend tomorrow, so building goes on hold in favour of flying.

Good weather and smooth landings to everyone
Old Nov 13, 2010, 06:44 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,907 Posts
Progress
Old Nov 13, 2010, 11:44 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,907 Posts
Stab and elevator done, mainspars cut, ribs cut. I think thats enough for one day. The rounded tips on the wing and elevator I will add later, and the only mod is that I'm probably going to add one more rib bay each side.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 09:30 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,907 Posts
Its still raining here, so we got wings and undercarraige and saddle for stab.

A mate of mine often talks about doing a "longest flight" thing at the club. The way it works is that you have to ROG, then fly for ages, then land with the engine running and taxi (we're talking i.c.) . I'm thinking a Tomboy or something similar could do the job for electric? Or maybe a modified (u/c needed) bigger sinbad . . .
Last edited by owlsabie; Nov 14, 2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:55 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,907 Posts
Help please!

Please help!

The wings are trimmed and temporarily joined by the dihedral brace, and at the angle set by the dihedral brace. The angle seems identical to that on the plans. Before I enthusiastically start glueing does this look OK? I definately want this more stable than my Sinbad!

p.s. what is a "dutch roll"?

Owl