HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:32 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,288 Posts
Bl***y h*ll Owl, your flying field is even more hazard strewn than mine is No wonder you get plenty of repairing practice! And what was all the stuff on the runway at the start of the take off run?
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2012, 09:18 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,626 Posts
That was stuff off the trees. Its Ok - the foam stick is bullet proof
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Apr 02, 2012, 11:42 PM
Use your imagination....
Turkey, Izmir, Seferihisar
Joined Oct 2007
1,155 Posts
Hi Owl, nice video...

Cem
czirh is offline Find More Posts by czirh
Old Apr 03, 2012, 10:47 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,626 Posts
Thanks Cem
Old Apr 29, 2012, 05:51 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,626 Posts
Alll good things must end

When I eventually got going this morning, the weather was awesome - hot, with an occasional light breeze.

So - off I went with the Tomboy . When I got to the field, the wind had picked up, with gusts that were quite strong. After a couple of minutes of indecision, I decided that I had to fly anyway. What a nightmare! When the wind got under the wing of the Tomboy it just kept turning Eventually I managed to get a little altitude, cut the power and put her straight into the wind. The glide was OK, but I was too high, and would never get her down. So, I powered up to go around, the wind got her again and in she went.

The damage is no that bad - just everything in the cabin and forward has been ripped out and crunched. Certainly repairable, but I think it might be time to move on . . . . she has served me well, and taught me a lot, and is a favourite - but perhaps enough is enough.

I'll let her bits lie for a while while I make up my mind

Al
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:11 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,626 Posts
I think some of the problems I have had with the Tomboy were related to the fact that it had too much dihedral. I happen to still have the wing from my ill fated Blunderbus - which also has a beefed up TE in case I had wanted to fit ailerons . . ..
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:40 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Ouch!
Sorry to read your tale of woe Owl!

How many times have we all done that..."looks a bit too windy but I think i'll give it a go now that i'm here.."

Anyway, the damage looks repairable. After stripping back some of the covering to expose the wood I reckon you'll have it back in no time. Add a bit of strength for the cabin, wing mount and she'll be right!

sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:05 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,626 Posts
Thanks Sparks. Well - I decided to fix it, but with the covering off there were more and more problems. Cracked longerons and cross pieces, a broken rudder and fin, TE of stab cracked, and the front was worse then it looked (it was only held together by covering). The pushrods had broken off their cross pieces in the fuse. The rudder servo just makes funny noises and won't move at all (even when assisted with pliers), the elevator moves but jumps teeth and has that funky electric smell about it. I think to fix it this time is going to be more work than just building a new one - so I've binned it, and will recycle what I can (reciever motor prop battery pushrods wheels).

I'm sure the damage has been cumulative - but this last crash was just too much

One day there will be another . . . . but better built, with less dihedral and a flat stab. (and a straight fuselage)

Owl
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:13 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by owlsabie View Post
...The rudder servo just makes funny noises and won't move at all (even when assisted with pliers), the elevator moves but jumps teeth and has that funky electric smell about it. I....Owl
They never seem to work as well with stripped gears, especially when the magic smoke has been released..

A sad loss..but, roll on the next one!
sparks
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:14 AM
Umkomaas, South Africa
Joined Mar 2010
214 Posts
Hey Owl, is your Tomboy gona start a braai tonight? Let it give you a little more pleasure for the last time!
SAslinky is offline Find More Posts by SAslinky
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:17 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,626 Posts
Well - there is an up side! Now I can either put the motor in the 'dawg or into my Super Solution. I have new stuff to use, but this motor is more powerfull, and that way I save all that soldering.

I'm going spoil myself, and replace the Tomboy with a CNC cut foam biplane - designed and kitted by a mate. Beautiful aircraft and an easy build. Its not an ARF, but there is also not a huge amount of building involved I think. I have two aircraft from him, a foam stick and a flying wing - both of which have served me well and are still going strong. I'll not post photos as its not an old timer!

Al
Old Apr 29, 2012, 01:22 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
so long as you post us a link Owl!
sparks
Old Jun 02, 2012, 06:49 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,626 Posts
The replacement

Nope - its not a vintage plane, but seeing as you gents are so pleasant I thought I would like to share it with you.

I am a bit lost without my tomboy - I like to take 2 or 3 planes when I go flying, probably from the days when "flying" all 3 could take less than 10 minutes Although I have enough planes to fly at the club, there is no way my bigger stuff can be persuaded to land in my local park, and so I need another parkflyer

Anyway, my foam biplane kit is on order and is being cut, but that could still take a while. So - I decided to build another tomboy. But - then it occurred to me that I would like to make some changes . . .

Its not a Tomboy at all anymore, but I kind of like it
Old Jun 04, 2012, 10:29 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Interesting mods Owl!
Bet its going to be a lively flier
sparks
Old Jun 04, 2012, 11:11 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,288 Posts
Umm. I think we have crossed the line from "modification" to "own design" here Owl! Better think up a name for it. If you still want to acknowledge the Tomboy connection, how about "Tom-Tom"?
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member