HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by GimpyPilot, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 11:42 AM
T-28C, Extra 300, Beast UMX
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
529 Posts
Discussion
Fun Scale PZ T-28 Slingshot Johhny III Build is Complete

The build is complete. I started the build on October 16th and wrapped it up on October 30th. I finished with about 25 hours worth of pre-build, modifications, paint and graphics.

I began with new spare parts for a Navy T-28 and a Park 480 motor from the LHS, and added panel lines, scale flaps, mechanical retracts and a full house E-Flite light setup. This necessitated removal of a lot of foam from both the wing and the fuselage.

Fresh wing with panel lines applied by pen

Wing and fuselage with panel lines

Wing and fuselage cut for flaps and retracts

Retracts with outer gear doors test fit

Starboard wingtip with anti-collision strobe and green navigation light

Port wingtip with anti-collision strobe and red navigation light

Nose retract took a lot of creative design as follows:

Installed a bellcrank to reverse steering input allowing for no new steering servo

Built up a box for the nose gear retract secured to the firewall - still allows motor mount to be removed - also added a u-shaped wire bracket on Port side to retain the steering arm from up and down movement for enhanced steering

Built up a foam and light ply mounting box for nose gear retract (HS65MG)

I added paint (Model Master Intermediate Blue, Bright Yellow, Insignia Red, Flat Black and Flat White on the fuselage, Dark Gray and Silver on the Cowl to simulate the the big Pratt & Whitney radial), I also put in some Aluminum Foil into the Exhaust bays to simulate the metal there.

First assembly with full paint on

Showing the red painted flap coves - these really pop in the sunlight

Flap Flash, scale PUSH markings and simulated steps on the flaps in near scale locations

Stars and Bars, cockpit access steps, RESCUE arrow and Cowl Flash

Detailed cowl (dark gray engine case, silver cylinders)

Fake speedbrake decal

How much wiring does it take to add flaps, retracts and full-house lighting? A lot. I put several wire ties in by using slim strips of packing tape with the wire style trash bag ties - this kept the weight low but gave me the ability to move wires around as necessary.

There are two E-Flite lighting controllers, the navigation and anti-collision lights are on one controller installed on a Y into the battery port on the AR6200 receiver. The nose gear light is on a second E-Flite controller, Y's into the gear port on the AR-6200 - the other end of the Y goes to the servo slow, then on to the reversing Y. This way, the nose gear light is only on when the gear is extended - you can see it activate and de-activate with gear position on the video below.

Servo Slow and Reversing Y for the landing gear on far left next to elevator and rudder servo - secured by double sided foam tape with adjustable pots accessible from above - nice and clean

Reversing Y for flaps secured on starboard side by double sided foam tape with adjustable pot accessible from above - nice and clean

ESC and Castle 10A BEC in the open for enhanced cooling on port side behind motor mount

So what does it look like completed?

Quartering shot showing static display open canopy

With flight canopy, TRAWING 5 Flash on vertical tail, VT-2 Doer Birds Flash on Cowling

Here are a couple videos showing the retracts and flaps in operation, and showing the lighting.

Gear Swing
PZ T-28 Gear Swing (0 min 31 sec)

Lighting
Untitled (0 min 29 sec)

Weather looks good today, so I will go out and maiden it between football games.
GimpyPilot is offline Find More Posts by GimpyPilot
Last edited by GimpyPilot; Oct 31, 2010 at 12:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts