HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2010, 12:20 AM
I've reached my critical AoA
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Dec 2005
318 Posts
Question
DX7 - Program Rudder on Aileron and Rudder stix?

My radian has the rudder connected to the aileron since it is a 3-ch. Can I program my DX7 to control the rudder with both rudder stick and the aileron stick?
G-Man is offline Find More Posts by G-Man
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2010, 12:41 AM
If it flies - I want one!
Werribee, Victoria, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,038 Posts
Yes

Easily done - I like to do this for all my indoor 3ch aircraft, as the left thumb is now trained for rudder on the ground and it avoids confusion.
Pick a mix, say #1, and select Rud as master, Ail as slave, +ve percentage to suit yourself, On if you want it all the time (or put it on a switch if you want to be able to select airborne) and Offset zero.
Cheers,
PeteM
Petem is offline Find More Posts by Petem
Old Oct 31, 2010, 06:16 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,312 Posts
Deleted
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; Oct 31, 2010 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Double post
Old Oct 31, 2010, 06:46 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,312 Posts
I always do a RUDD->AILE mix (ON all the time) for three-channel power models so I can use the left stick for steering on the ground. Depending on the model, I often find that it works well to use a mix of less than 100% (say 70%) to desensitize the rudder control a bit for steering with the left stick.

This may not apply to the glider, but note that the two inputs are additive, so you may be able to over-drive the the rudder servo (beyond 150%) if you move both sticks hard over in the same direction. You may therefore want to set travel adjust to 75% on both channels or leave it at 100% on AILE but reduce to 50% on RUDD. Or just remember not to shove both sticks full over at the same time.

To see what's happening, go to the Monitor screen. (Good general advice, always use the Monitor screen to understand what the transmitter is putting out before you try to sort things out on the model.)
Old Oct 31, 2010, 08:27 AM
Joined Dec 2005
318 Posts
Perfect!

Now, part 2 of the question. If I have a DX5e slaved to the DX7, will this scenario still work? I know the DX5e has limited programming.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 08:34 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
Perfect!

Now, part 2 of the question. If I have a DX5e slaved to the DX7, will this scenario still work? I know the DX5e has limited programming.
No. The programming on the DX5e is limited to servo reversing, elevon mixing and a fixed dual rate setup. No programmable mixing.

With the DX7 as the master, the instructor will have both sticks available to steer the glider, but the student on the DX5e will only be able to use the right stick.

If you want the student to learn to use the left stick, you could reverse the setup and give the student the DX7, with the glider bound to the DX5e as master.

It all depends what you are trying to achieve.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 08:38 AM
Joined Dec 2005
318 Posts
Just needed the answer. It won't make any difference, but I wanted to know if the rudder stick was active, because while "I" would not throw the rudder and ailerron sticks full right or left together, ther person I'm training might.

Thanks again.