HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2010, 12:01 AM
Oxley, Vic, Australia
Joined Jun 2005
66 Posts
Discussion
Unilog killed Ice Lite 200 ??

Hi all,

At the recent Australia Japan F5B challenge, I managed to "kill" one of my new CC Ice Lite 200s. It was rather good being able to download all the data from them.

The problem occurred when, after landing I reached down to switch off the Rx in the model and the motor tried to start!! I immediately switched on again and the carried the model back to the pits to take apart and "make safe"

I have never had this problem before, but when I was checking out the Unilog firmware updates I notice that the latest version 1.15 lists "failsafe" so that the motor will not come on when there is a loss of signal, eg when you turn the Rx off - exactly the problem I had.

Has anyone else had this issue ?? I had thought it must have been the Ice ESC as that was the "new" part added, but Ken Ueyam said that they had had similar problems in Japan, and he was sure it was the Unilog, as it never happened to them when the ESC was connected directly to the Rx.

Ray
Stingray F5B is offline Find More Posts by Stingray F5B
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2010, 01:29 AM
Joined Dec 2004
751 Posts
Which Unilog version where you using at the time?

Regards,
Gerben
Gerben is offline Find More Posts by Gerben
Old Oct 31, 2010, 02:39 AM
Chipping Norton, UK
Joined Jan 2005
740 Posts
I thought the last Unilog version to have this problem was 1.07 and only on Futaba. What radio are you using?
steveburns is online now Find More Posts by steveburns
Old Oct 31, 2010, 04:00 AM
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2007
2,168 Posts
My understanding is that with all castle products, the sequence is: battery tx rx, flight, battery rx tx... I've seen a 180 and 125 dance with the rx shut off after flight prior to removing the pack, though this does not explain loss of the esc
la528it is offline Find More Posts by la528it
Old Oct 31, 2010, 06:20 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Verenigd Koninkrijk, Fareham
Joined Aug 2008
7,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by la528it View Post
My understanding is that with all castle products, the sequence is: battery tx rx, flight, battery rx tx... I've seen a 180 and 125 dance with the rx shut off after flight prior to removing the pack, though this does not explain loss of the esc
I'll 1 up that and say that my understanding is to NEVER turn off the RX power before the main pack is disconnected. No matter what the brand of ESC is.

Having said that, it is a strange case since you say you are using newer then V1.07 software on the Unilog. Better inform Stephan Merz.
jjmouris is offline Find More Posts by jjmouris
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My F5B saw tooth props
Old Oct 31, 2010, 10:01 AM
Oxley, Vic, Australia
Joined Jun 2005
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben View Post
Which Unilog version where you using at the time?

Regards,
Gerben
Hi Gerban

Yes I was using version 1.07 !
I am surprised that I had not really noticed this problem before

I am now upgrading to version 1.15

Ray
Old Oct 31, 2010, 10:06 AM
Oxley, Vic, Australia
Joined Jun 2005
66 Posts
Quote:
Yes, this is the order I have always used myself.

Connect up the model & flight pack.
Turn on the Tx & set up Gas box if used.
Go to the flight line & turn on the Rx & check all controls

Make flight.

Turn off the Rx (I thought the model was then relatively safe unless there was some "fault"!)

Turn off Tx & return to pits.
Disassemble model & unplug Flight pack!

Ray
Old Oct 31, 2010, 10:13 AM
Oxley, Vic, Australia
Joined Jun 2005
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmouris View Post
I'll 1 up that and say that my understanding is to NEVER turn off the RX power before the main pack is disconnected. No matter what the brand of ESC is.

Having said that, it is a strange case since you say you are using newer then V1.07 software on the Unilog. Better inform Stephan Merz.
No Joe & Steve, I WAS using 1.07 and I now use a Futaba 12FG and R6008HS Rx.

Until now I had thought it was best to turn the model off, as there was the possibility of accidently bumping the throttle switch when walking back to the pits.

I did this once walking out to the flight line ... Tx on neck strap, I did something, maybe adjust glasses & Tx swings & motor starts - gave me a fright & I think my helper needed a quick visit to the loo!!

So I always have the model OFF when ever possible !

Ray
Old Oct 31, 2010, 10:18 AM
Oxley, Vic, Australia
Joined Jun 2005
66 Posts
Quote:
I am assuming this caused the ESC "death".
The next flight the ESC did not start .. there is no spark when you connect a pack now.

I was still able to download the flight data, but since it was the second flight, it did not show the startup or maybe because the power was turned off it would not show this anyway ???

Ray
Old Oct 31, 2010, 12:38 PM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray F5B View Post
Yes, this is the order I have always used myself.

Connect up the model & flight pack.
Turn on the Tx & set up Gas box if used.
Go to the flight line & turn on the Rx & check all controls

Make flight.

Turn off the Rx (I thought the model was then relatively safe unless there was some "fault"!)

Turn off Tx & return to pits.
Disassemble model & unplug Flight pack!

Ray
Ray, just to be sure you and Richard are not talking past each other.

This is the correct order from the 35Mhz/70Mhz days;

connect battery pack
turn on TX
turn on RX
make a flight
disconnect battery pack
turn off RX
turn off TX

What you say regarding accidental stuff with the TX, you could avoid this by changing the order as follows when using 2.4Ghz, i used to do this with my Spektrum DX7.

connect battery pack
turn on TX
turn on RX
make a flight
turn off TX
disconnect battery pack
turn off RX

Since with 2.4Ghz there should be no reason for the RX to command anything other then failsafe if your TX is off. Better check your failsafe positions on the RX before trying this with a live motor.

But then once i switched the TX off and the motor came on!!!! How, i still have no clue.

Note that your "fault" is not with the Unilog but with the Futaba RX. It also does not happen all the time. There is simply a chance the RX might give a single frame of full throttle when the RX powers down, just enough for the ESC to put the power on, then when it recognises there is no more valid input signal it will shut the motor down after 0,5 seconds. The newer software versions on the Unilog actually filter this fault out by not passing the short power on blip on to the ESC. However, i would not trust on this.

If your model was on the ground and the prop was stopped from rotating the very short but high current spike might have damaged your caps and fets. Lucky you that the ESC now refuses to put the power on as it could quite easy just catch fire.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 31, 2010, 03:11 PM
Southampton UK
Joined Jan 2003
179 Posts
Quote:
Ray, just to be sure you and Richard are not talking past each other.

This is the correct order from the 35Mhz/70Mhz days;

connect battery pack
turn on TX
turn on RX
make a flight
disconnect battery pack
turn off RX
turn off TX

What you say regarding accidental stuff with the TX, you could avoid this by changing the order as follows when using 2.4Ghz, i used to do this with my Spektrum DX7.

connect battery pack
turn on TX
turn on RX
make a flight
turn off TX
disconnect battery pack
turn off RX

Since with 2.4Ghz there should be no reason for the RX to command anything other then failsafe if your TX is off. Better check your failsafe positions on the RX before trying this with a live motor.

But then once i switched the TX off and the motor came on!!!! How, i still have no clue.

Note that your "fault" is not with the Unilog but with the Futaba RX. It also does not happen all the time. There is simply a chance the RX might give a single frame of full throttle when the RX powers down, just enough for the ESC to put the power on, then when it recognises there is no more valid input signal it will shut the motor down after 0,5 seconds. The newer software versions on the Unilog actually filter this fault out by not passing the short power on blip on to the ESC. However, i would not trust on this.

If your model was on the ground and the prop was stopped from rotating the very short but high current spike might have damaged your caps and fets. Lucky you that the ESC now refuses to put the power on as it could quite easy just catch fire.
Joe,

So your just trading the controller not doing some thing stupid for the rx not doing some thing stupid.

Each to their own I suppose

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk
Nigel P is online now Find More Posts by Nigel P
Old Oct 31, 2010, 04:58 PM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,125 Posts
Nigel, if a 2.4Ghz RX does something "stupid" while it is supposed to work normally (eg it has sufficient power) it is going back to where it came from.

In the 35/72Mhz days if you would depower the TX, the RX would take any old background rubbish and pass it to the ESC, hense the servo's moving all over the place when you turn off the TX. That should be a thing of the past with the digital packedge format of 2.4Ghz.

If an ESC is LIVE, as in it has once recieved a valid signal and armed, it then is still live after you power down the RX. So again any old signal it managed to pick up will be processed and might result in the power coming on. No digital format here, just analog stuff. The only way to disarm the ESC is to take the power off it.

So yeah..... if i was going to choose, i would turn off the TX and NOT the RX. Then again, it is possible for the TX to send a stupid signal on shut down so i prefer to just take the power off the ESC as soon as possible.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 31, 2010, 06:43 PM
Joined Feb 2001
2,818 Posts
This is the order I have always done it:
turn on TX
turn on RX
connect battery pack
make a flight
disconnect battery pack
turn off RX
turn off TX

Why connect the main pack prior to the radio being on and operating? I prefer the minimum period of time that the motor has the potential to turn on. I don't use a neckstrap or tray and always keep a finger on the throttle stick/switch so it can't be bumped on accidently.
ScotY is offline Find More Posts by ScotY
Old Oct 31, 2010, 07:06 PM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,125 Posts
Scot, that is fine for normal flying but for F5B we need to set up the course computer with a spare RX and the model needs to be OFF during this period as we will be giving motor ON to set the throttle range on the course equipment.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 31, 2010, 10:39 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,815 Posts
Quote:
Scot, that is fine for normal flying but for F5B we need to set up the course computer with a spare RX and the model needs to be OFF during this period as we will be giving motor ON to set the throttle range on the course equipment.
Right. And when you've got models lined up waiting to fly the course, you have to be ready to go when your turn comes up. No time to be messing with the battery then.

Lenny
Lenny970 is offline Find More Posts by Lenny970