SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 08, 2010, 01:10 PM
Registered User
Vista, CA
Joined Jan 2004
208 Posts
The distance to the turn points adjustment is explained on page 14 of the manual that I linked to earlier. There is a dropdown box with available turnpoint distances ranging from 150 to 500 meters in 50 meter increments. In addition the maximum entry height can be selected to be 300, 400, or 500 meters. I used a Radian equipped with the Sky Navigator equipment to fly a 150 meter course at the Nats this past summer to demonstrate the concept to a few people. Sorry I didn't get a chance to show it to you, TK.

JR Aero Tow is where Etienne from Icare introduced the Sky Navigator system to the US last June. He had a unit there that was available for anyone to use but there were only 3 or 4 of us that took him up on the offer. Once I get a system together that matches the Sky Navigator for performance I will put together as many systems as I can afford to buy components for. I will have them with me for trial use or sale any time I am flying. For the immediate future, that means the aero tow in Indio this coming weekend and Visalia for the monthly aero tow on the 20th. (I still have to figure out how to program and wire the new gps unit once I pry myself away from RCGroups.)

Rick
rshelby is offline Find More Posts by rshelby
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2010, 01:16 PM
Ueli Nyffenegger
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2010
42 Posts
During a normal Contest, we`re flying 4 Rounds in Distanceflying:
after passing the Startline at 500m or below, we have time of about 30 min. to fly as many rounds as possible. Record is 12 Rounds with a speed of 63 km/h. Distance: 28.8km
The 5th Task is Speed:
1 Round as fast as possible. Wingload 105 g/dm2. Entering at 500m or below and with less then 120 km/h. Record is 142 km/h!

The Speedround usually is in the morning when the Thermals are not so good.

So we are having allways a verry intersting day with a lot of difficulty flights

Ueli
tunmod is offline Find More Posts by tunmod
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2010, 01:21 PM
Ueli Nyffenegger
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2010
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rshelby View Post
The distance to the turn points adjustment is explained on page 14 of the manual that I linked to earlier. There is a dropdown box with available turnpoint distances ranging from 150 to 500 meters in 50 meter increments. In addition the maximum entry height can be selected to be 300, 400, or 500 meters. I used a Radian equipped with the Sky Navigator equipment to fly a 150 meter course at the Nats this past summer to demonstrate the concept to a few people. Sorry I didn't get a chance to show it to you, TK.

JR Aero Tow is where Etienne from Icare introduced the Sky Navigator system to the US last June. He had a unit there that was available for anyone to use but there were only 3 or 4 of us that took him up on the offer. Once I get a system together that matches the Sky Navigator for performance I will put together as many systems as I can afford to buy components for. I will have them with me for trial use or sale any time I am flying. For the immediate future, that means the aero tow in Indio this coming weekend and Visalia for the monthly aero tow on the 20th. (I still have to figure out how to program and wire the new gps unit once I pry myself away from RCGroups.)

Rick
Yes you can adjust different distances for the Turnpoints. But that means all points have the same distance as you choosed before as well as the altitude.
I was travelling many times in the beginning with Christoph to prsent this category. But I feel, that it is better to do it outside of a Towmeeting.

Ueli
tunmod is offline Find More Posts by tunmod
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2010, 01:25 PM
yyz
Registered User
yyz's Avatar
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,400 Posts
Have there been any discussions about getting FAI ratification? F3L? M? N? Where are they now in the alphabet...
yyz is offline Find More Posts by yyz
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2010, 01:31 PM
Ueli Nyffenegger
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2010
42 Posts
Yes we have had discussions about FAI! But did not want to go in to FAI yet. In 3 weeks we have awards ceremony of GPS-Eurocup and there well be some discussions about again.
Is not the main "problem" right now

Ueli
tunmod is offline Find More Posts by tunmod
Last edited by tunmod; Nov 08, 2010 at 02:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2010, 07:27 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2004
597 Posts
If we can do a triangle with unequal legs Montague has a perfect spot for it. Let's keep the date going and somehow adapt.
Regards Dean
DEAN GRADWELL is offline Find More Posts by DEAN GRADWELL
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 09, 2010, 12:05 PM
Registered User
Beaverton, OR
Joined Apr 2002
164 Posts
Just to make this perfectly clear to me and maybe others, as I understand it from reading Rick's and Ueli's posts, the triangles can be from 150 to 500 meters to a side, in 50 meter graduations. Both triangles must be the same size.

I've attached a couple of jpgs of the triangles.

From the 1st jpg:

If one chooses to use say a 300M leg then both triangles, "A" and "B" must be like the red triangles shown.

From the 2nd jpg:

One cannot choose one triangle to be say 400M in yellow and another at 500M in red, and making one of the legs match either the 400M or 500M triangle leg.

Is this all correct?

Thanks,

- Bob -
HLGNut is offline Find More Posts by HLGNut
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 09, 2010, 12:16 PM
Registered User
Vista, CA
Joined Jan 2004
208 Posts
The first picture is an excellent view of the different sized courses that are available. The course in the second picture is not an option in the current software.

Rick
rshelby is offline Find More Posts by rshelby
Last edited by rshelby; Nov 09, 2010 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Clarify
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 09, 2010, 12:59 PM
Aero Tow CD
ChrisPratt's Avatar
USA, CA, Visalia
Joined Aug 2006
76 Posts
I am sure you all know that you are all welcome to do further testing and evaluation of the HW,SW, etc. at Visalia. It is also possible to do this during the week (like a Friday before the monthly aero tow or ???) if you have the time available.

I am curious, what is the limitation on unequal size legs?

Chris
Visalia Aero Tow CD
ChrisPratt is offline Find More Posts by ChrisPratt
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 09, 2010, 01:17 PM
Ueli Nyffenegger
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2010
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLGNut View Post
Just to make this perfectly clear to me and maybe others, as I understand it from reading Rick's and Ueli's posts, the triangles can be from 150 to 500 meters to a side, in 50 meter graduations. Both triangles must be the same size.

I've attached a couple of jpgs of the triangles.

From the 1st jpg:

If one chooses to use say a 300M leg then both triangles, "A" and "B" must be like the red triangles shown.

From the 2nd jpg:

One cannot choose one triangle to be say 400M in yellow and another at 500M in red, and making one of the legs match either the 400M or 500M triangle leg.

Is this all correct?

Thanks,

- Bob -
Hi all

The Skynavi SW allows you to choose when open a new Task, only legs with the same lengths for all.
But trust me, there is no need to have different lengths of the legs! On one Competition we was standing somewhere in the middle of the triangel. Because the Location was verry narrow, but legs where 500m each.

Ueli
tunmod is offline Find More Posts by tunmod
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 09, 2010, 01:19 PM
Ueli Nyffenegger
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2010
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPratt View Post
I am sure you all know that you are all welcome to do further testing and evaluation of the HW,SW, etc. at Visalia. It is also possible to do this during the week (like a Friday before the monthly aero tow or ???) if you have the time available.

I am curious, what is the limitation on unequal size legs?

Chris
Visalia Aero Tow CD
Hi Chris

This is a good idea to have a testing before or outside a Aerotow with interested Pilots.

Ueli
tunmod is offline Find More Posts by tunmod
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 09, 2010, 02:15 PM
Registered User
Vista, CA
Joined Jan 2004
208 Posts
I have been doing all of my testing during normal aero tow operations at Visalia. My first experience with it was during normal operations at the JR Aero Tow. It does not have to disrupt any other flying that is going on.

The whole idea behind the Sky Navigator Challenge is that you can do it anywhere, any time - http://skynavigator.net/homepage.aspx This is a separate event from the organized competitions. Sort of like a postal contest. But it gets you out there flying the task. Obviously the organized GPS races are put on solely for pilots who are flying the triangles and that is all that is going on at those events.

For me, the best thing about this whole GPS racing deal is that you can practice it anytime you are flying, you don't have to wait for an organized competition or practice day.

Rick
rshelby is offline Find More Posts by rshelby
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 09, 2010, 03:54 PM
yyz
Registered User
yyz's Avatar
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rshelby View Post
For me, the best thing about this whole GPS racing deal is that you can practice it anytime you are flying, you don't have to wait for an organized competition or practice day.

Rick
I agree and the fact that you are practicing something rather than just carving holes in the sky is also a big plus and very attractive.

If we start landing in a circle and have a measuring tape anywhere near the nose of the glider, I'm moving on to r/c sailboats...

Mike

ps: this thread has really brought some life to the cross-country forum.
yyz is offline Find More Posts by yyz
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 08:05 AM
Ueli Nyffenegger
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2010
42 Posts
Mike

Those are the right words: practicing. Try to fly GPS-Triangel, learning by doing. And you`ll see, this is the most interesting class in gliding you have ever seen.
After some flights you see, that it is not necessary to have different length of legs, bigger or smaller Triangel etc.
If you use Skynavi SW and any campatibel GPS System you start flying and having fun, only fun.
I think it would be better to discuss in direction:
Where to have a first GPS meeting (not Competition!).
After may you organise some Training weekends.
And then organise the first Competition.
And allways you`re able to upload your flights to the www.skynavigator.net website and share with other modellers!
The GPS-Eurocup team is organising the first WC next year. There is also the possability to have some days of training before the WC. Download Bulletin Nr. 1 with all informations:
http://www.tun.ch/media/pdf/Bulletin...34d0e77291ff31

What you think about this idea? Would this bring you forward to become GPS-Triangel Pilots?
I`m here to help you where ever I can!

Ueli
tunmod is offline Find More Posts by tunmod
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 12:59 PM
yyz
Registered User
yyz's Avatar
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,400 Posts
Ueli,

This all sounds good to me. I believe Rick has the most experience with the equipment and actually flying tasks in the US so hopefully he'll chime in here.

I do have a few questions though about next year's event in Tortosa, Spain:

* The bulletin states that registration closed on June 30, 2010. Are there openings still available? Several of us are making plans to travel to and fly in this event.

* Most of us have insurance through the American Modelers Association (AMA). Is that adequate for this event?

* What is "Open Class"? Anything goes?

Do you or any of your flying buddies have business travel plans to the US early next year? It would probably make more sense to have one or two of you come over here for the non-flying meeting rather than a bunch of us go over there.

Thanks again for all of your help,

Mike


Quote:
Originally Posted by tunmod View Post
Mike

Those are the right words: practicing. Try to fly GPS-Triangel, learning by doing. And you`ll see, this is the most interesting class in gliding you have ever seen.
After some flights you see, that it is not necessary to have different length of legs, bigger or smaller Triangel etc.
If you use Skynavi SW and any campatibel GPS System you start flying and having fun, only fun.
I think it would be better to discuss in direction:
Where to have a first GPS meeting (not Competition!).
After may you organise some Training weekends.
And then organise the first Competition.
And allways you`re able to upload your flights to the www.skynavigator.net website and share with other modellers!
The GPS-Eurocup team is organising the first WC next year. There is also the possability to have some days of training before the WC. Download Bulletin Nr. 1 with all informations:
http://www.tun.ch/media/pdf/Bulletin...34d0e77291ff31

What you think about this idea? Would this bring you forward to become GPS-Triangel Pilots?
I`m here to help you where ever I can!

Ueli
yyz is offline Find More Posts by yyz
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale G-10 Triangle Plates for PCA-2 and DAG 60 Autogyro jodini Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 2 Sep 01, 2012 04:33 AM
Discussion GPS-EuroCup / GPS triangle racing yyz Scale Sailplanes 21 Oct 31, 2010 08:46 AM
Alert NRC - MD Offroad Race Track - Great Fun Race this Sat bbecker Off-road Cars 0 Oct 19, 2010 08:03 AM
Discussion F3 RCS-GPS Triangle Racing alstrahm Scale Sailplanes 30 Oct 01, 2009 10:58 PM
Discussion GPS triangle Race - a question Jim Deck Sailplane Talk 1 Jun 26, 2009 05:14 AM